It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Marriage License - United States - Controversy

The marriage laws and license requirements of many states originated from the ideas of eugenics[7]. Such ideas had the support of scientists such as Linus Pauling, who advocated that people with genetic defects be denied marriage licenses.

As it became clear that the science of eugenics was highly suspect and often racist, the laws and restrictions were repealed, but the requirement to obtain a license has persisted, along with the associated fee. The institution of the marriage license often goes unquestioned by citizens today.

To me it's always seemed a crock. When I first heard about it when I was a kid the idea seemed quite strange.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
reply to post by northof8

What makes this more racist against black people is that the judge is white. For example, it would change the outlook completely if the judge was black.

A black was harmed more than the white here? hmm... We aren't just talking about the incident. We are talking about the degrees of discrimination or racism here. So let's do the math?

Black Person -2 (because the JOP was White)
What Person -1 (Because the JOP was White)

Is that what is boils down to? The degree of how offensive it was the the black person as opposed to the white person? Because the black person was harmed more we decide not to discuss the harm to the white person?

Mind you, I don't buy into that theory but that is what we are saying here. The black was actually harmed more here?

Or was it equal opportunity discrimination?

Put it this way.... Does the guy marry two blacks? Does he marry two whites? If the answer is yes then the theory of this hurting blacks more than whites in this case doesn't hold water. It's just an excuse to scream about white on black racism. The same old rage here at ATS....

This is a different form of racism because this guy does indeed marry black and white couples.

This is not just a cut and dry case of a white man hating black people. This is a case of someone not liking one black and one white getting married. He may not like blacks but he does marry them.

I dont see how it hurts blacks anymore than whites. I really dont.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

What makes this more racist against black people is that the judge is white. For example, it would change the outlook completely if the judge was black.

Not to me at all. Whoever were to make the same sort of statement this judge did, I would see as a racial bigot just the same. If the judge was black with everything else being equal it would strongly suggest a problem with crackers like myself.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

The marriage laws and license requirements of many states originated from the ideas of eugenics[7]. Such ideas had the support of scientists such as Linus Pauling, who advocated that people with genetic defects be denied marriage licenses.

As it became clear that the science of eugenics was highly suspect and often racist, the laws and restrictions were repealed, but the requirement to obtain a license has persisted, along with the associated fee. The institution of the marriage license often goes unquestioned by citizens today.

To me it's always seemed a crock. When I first heard about it when I was a kid the idea seemed quite strange.

In essence what the Marriage License and Certificate establish is a legal fictitious straw entity for the purpose of joint contractual obligations.

It creates a union that not just allows but requires one partner to be held liable for other the partner’s contractual debts and obligations.

While you are correct that eugenics was part of the motivation to require licenses for marriage in the post Civil War Reconstruction Era through the end of World War II when the Nazi State’s extreme eugenics policies caused many people to rethink the notion of eugenics the dual purpose primarily for Federal Income Tax purposes and to a lesser extent Banks and other creditors and Lenders to better ensure payment by making both partners equally liable for the each other’s independent debts is what’s made the ‘Licensing’ of marriages a keeper for the Corporate Government.

People should not need a license to get married and the reality is the license is about being an official union in the 'eyes of the law' so that ultimately the corporate government can lay claim to the union's assets and dispose of those assets in ways it sees fit, when it sees fit.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Your talking about who was hurt more. I am talking about racism. Generally, the whole line of not mixing the races idea stems from racism. Since the judge is white, he most likely has some trace of raciest tendency's towards black people. If the judge was black, it would be the other way around.

As far as who is getting hurt or screwed over in this situation, it would be both the man and woman.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Exactly, that's what I was trying to say. Basically the situation would be reversed. When I said a different situation I guess I was thinking more about the reply's to this thread.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

But see the flaw with that, is you don't need to be married to have kids. So what we should really have is a license to bear children, seriously, stupid people are making even more stupid people with aids and its getting out of control. why are people starving? because religious fanatics/crazy people have 20 kids then those 20 kids have 20 kids, and there family line becomes a disease

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I know my friend, sorry you had a bad time, remember Forrest Gump famous phrase, life is like a box of chocolates you never know what you may get.

At least I know you have some beautiful children.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by marg6043]

Thank you Marge that is very kind of you. One thing is for certain my children certainly are beautiful (they favor their mother in the looks department needless to say!). I am English/Irish and my wife is Mexican and the truth is in my humble opinion mixed race marriages breed exceptionally good looking children.

I honestly suspect the only thing that is ever going to totally eliminate racism is when the gene pool eventually becomes so intermingled that every becomes so mixed there are no longer any racially definable differences in outward appearance.

The reality is we live in a world were people dislike and distrust whole swaths of other people for a whole plethora of reasons. Non-smokers dislike smokers, Republicans dislike Democrats, short people dislike tall people, blondes think they have more fun, etc., etc.

The reality is that people who are predisposed to not like or hate are always going to find something no matter how superficial to justify and rationalize it in their minds.

The real challenge is how to keep the government and corporations from taking advantage of the average person’s propensity to vent anger and frustration on targeted groups of people based on superficial thinking.

I fear we as people are always being manipulated through the steady diet of 24 hour news that is always designed to incite anger and fear to vent it through politically correct ways they suggest the angry frightened person should, by supporting this war for superficial reasons, or that policy for superficial reasons, or that candidate for superficial reasons, which as superficial as the reasons often actually are, seem credible enough for angry and frightened people looking to channel their anger and fear towards without really logically or intellectually questioning what they are being extolled to support in the name of political correctness because of the highly aroused emotional state they are manipulated into before being extolled to make the decision.

We are never going to get a handle on the government the corporations or the dismal state of the economy running around in fearful anger 24 hours a day over every petty injustice under the sun they can dredge up and throw at us to keep us from focusing on the big injustices that pretty much create the atmosphere for all the little ones to take place.

We need to learn to start responding to these challenges instead of just reacting to them.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
NO ONE here can deny that black people have naturally destructive behavior. That is why when a white person see's a black guy with a black girl, he is disgusted by this girl actually liking a black guy. Yet if we say something about it, it is racist.

Racism isn't taught in schools or at home. It is observed behavior of people around them. black people - minority population wise, MAJORITY in prison(does that not say enough?). or is it just coincidence? All crimes committed are majority minority races, this is fact. We all know we are on the same thinking of the judge, just quit denying that you aren't naturally racist. but just because you are racist doesn't mean you have to kill someone/hurt someone. doesn't mean you can't get along with them, honestly us white people make it easy to get along with. its black people who make racist and segregation, clicks, gangs whatever.

my dad is racist but not because he was a red neck, it was because he grew up in a bad neighborhood with a lot of blacks in it. who specifically picked on him/ caused him trouble just because he was a "whitey" or "white boy" you can say. but of course these are not racist terms, because whites are the racists, no one else.

Just the same if the judge was black and the couple was a white guy and a black girl, no difference here. except you wouldn't call him a racist.

and just an FIY, yes I am white, and my gf is indian/hawaiian

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Your talking about who was hurt more. I am talking about racism. Generally, the whole line of not mixing the races idea stems from racism. Since the judge is white, he most likely has some trace of raciest tendency's towards black people. If the judge was black, it would be the other way around.

As far as who is getting hurt or screwed over in this situation, it would be both the man and woman.

Did you actually read your post? You are talking about racism and not about who was hurt more?

My goodness... Then maybe we should be talking about who was hurt. What matters more? Racism as some abstract discussion with the end result that we convince everyone that blacks were the majority victim here as opposed to both races being hurt equally here. Maybe that's part of the whole problem?

I guess if you see everything in black and white you would see a clear case of racism here. I see discrimination against both races here pure and simple but everyone feel free to fan those flames of racism.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
As a citizen of Louisiana I do not agree with the judge or condone his actions. I don't think its his place to influence society from the bench. Its his place to be an impartial judge.

I understand his point about both blacks and whites in Louisiana not being very accepting of those of multiracial parents, but its simply not his place to make a ruling based on that.

My family has some Creole ancestry, I have a sister in law who is Creole, and a nephew who has been dating a black woman for awhile now. The odd thing is that most of the problems my nephew has had come from blacks and not whites. I was also surprised to find out that many of his white friends have dated and still do date black women.

Regardless of how people act, we can get past all of this. South America has come alot further than us as people when it comes to multiracial ancestry. Both sides, blacks and whites in the United States need to accept the fact of multiracial parentage.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tempesillest

NO ONE here can deny that black people have naturally destructive behavior.

Blacks have naturally destructive behavior? Logic should show that destructive behavior is not exclusive to blacks but extends to all humans, including those of European stock, which by the way, have racked up an incredible body count.

That is why when a white person see's a black guy with a black girl, he is disgusted by this girl actually liking a black guy. Yet if we say something about it, it is racist.

So all white men are disgusted for the same reason? Are you saying none of their anger may stem from their own sexual inadequacy and jealousy?

Racism isn't taught in schools or at home.

There are almost 7 billion people on this planet, many of them attend schools and have homes. How is it you’re able to tell us what goes on in their homes?

It is observed behavior of people around them.

In some cases, not all, and it is highly illogical to make the claim that it isn’t learned in the home or school when those are the MAJOR institutions of socialization.

black people - minority population wise, MAJORITY in prison(does that not say enough?). or is it just coincidence? All crimes committed are majority minority races, this is fact.

It says there may be a disproportionate number due to economics, disparities within the criminal justice system, and lack of an equal playing field.

We all know we are on the same thinking of the judge, just quit denying that you aren't naturally racist. but just because you are racist doesn't mean you have to kill someone/hurt someone. doesn't mean you can't get along with them, honestly us white people make it easy to get along with. its black people who make racist and segregation, clicks, gangs whatever.

This is the type of lunacy that needs to be stamped out.

my dad is racist but not because he was a red neck, it was because he grew up in a bad neighborhood with a lot of blacks in it. who specifically picked on him/ caused him trouble just because he was a "whitey" or "white boy" you can say. but of course these are not racist terms, because whites are the racists, no one else.

I’m sure some of it rubbed off on you.

Just the same if the judge was black and the couple was a white guy and a black girl, no difference here. except you wouldn't call him a racist.

I would call him a bigot, or say he was discriminating. I wouldn’t call him a racist because he made no mention of superiority or how his race was superior.

and just an FIY, yes I am white, and my gf is indian/hawaiian

FYI, no one cares…really they don’t.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

If you didn't care about the thread why in the world did you post in it?

At the minimum you could of added to the discussion instead of posting some stupid youtube video that has nothing to do with the news story.

[edit on 16/10/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
whats the best thing to come of of louisiana?

I-55

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
The judge is clearly an idiot. I want you to look at this picture. This is a guy born with a father black and a mother Asian. He himself married a white woman and had children. Looks like a normal healthy beautiful child.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
whats the best thing to come of of louisiana?

I-55

Cajun and Creole food
Crawfish
Tobasco Sauce
Oil
Natural Gas
Louis Armstrong

I'm pretty sure there's far more than that but I'll have to go digging.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Sorry, I have not read all the posts but just had to add.........It always seems that the biggest idiots somehow become part of our US government. How is that possible? The voters or was this asshat appointed?

Yeah, I think government should handle everything in our society, they are so good at intellectual thought. /s

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   

NO ONE here can deny that black people have naturally destructive behavior

I deny that.

Anyway..I admit I have racist thougts which I struggle against. It's something I am ashamed about and I work on squishing these feelings when they emerge.

My brain knows that it's wrong. My heart feels sick with shame when the thoughts emerge. An yet occasionally, in certain situations, I find myself accepting stereotypes about various races.

I think all of us, if we look deeply enough will find something of that within ourselves. We are afterall only human.

I believe the majority of us however have accepted that it's a weakness of the human condition to be influneced by these stereotypes and moreover undertsnad that to act out is just plain wrong. That gives me hope.

The judge and his ilk, the people who believe the lies, are becoming more and more ostracized in society. That's encouraging.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I am in a mixed relationship... my wife is black, i am white, we have been together for 10 years and have children. The few times that we have experienced problems it has been due to people with this judges attitude/opinion (black and white)

What this judge, and likeminded people, can’t seem to get through their thick skulls is that it is THEM that causes the problems... everyone else is just happy to mind their own business and get on with life!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join