It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Make Work Mandatory or you go to jail!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

I am in Kentucky, but if you really want a job I could probably talk to some people and help you get a foot in the door. What skills do you have and are you a hard worker who will show up on time?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by StinkyFeet

Free...no kid will fail if they show up and do their assignments??? Well, you obviously have no idea because you obviously have no children. They still need school supplies, my children are in High school and I can tell youif they haven't got what they need for the class they will fail. The cost so far this year(Mindyou we're only half way through the marking period)and the supplies have costed us around 300 dollars so far.

List of what the need:
two gig flash drives(2) (I have two in 9th grade) 20 bucks each
8 three ring bindrs (X2)$3 each
8 packs of paper(x2)1.00 each
pens around $4
notebooks(4 each kid) 1.00 each
pencils 1.00 each
markers 2.96
highlighters 3.00
poster board for projects 1.00
t-shirts for project 5.50
Microsoft Office whole package with word, powerpoint, around 199 bucks
Paints for project 4.00
Printer paper
printer ink total 45 dollars
or printouts thru library aropund 35 cents each
Scientific calculators around 30 each (x2)

dividers 25 each kid around 4.00
plastic slip covers(for papers in binder) 10 (only for daughter's class) 5.00

I think that's about it.
Not to mention school cothes gym uniforms and scks and underwear if you don't want the school to call
DCF for neglect....
Now is that free????

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613

You obviously don't have a clue what it's like in prison.

But if you *really* want to save money, just take them out and shoot them. Make their families pay for the bullet. Problem solved.

You said it not me, but really what good are they if they just take and choose not to work.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by StinkyFeet

Originally posted by chiron613

You obviously don't have a clue what it's like in prison.

But if you *really* want to save money, just take them out and shoot them. Make their families pay for the bullet. Problem solved.

You said it not me, but really what good are they if they just take and choose not to work.

Do you really contend that the only way a person has worth is if they are making money?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Two things.
1. You have all year to save 300 dollars. That is less than 30 dollars per month.
2. We all know there are tons of churches, charities, and other organisations that will give kids free school supplies.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

No I don't think a person only has worth if they make money, but I do think that if you take and never contribute then you are a menace to society and a thief.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

reply to post by ldyserenity

Two things.
1. You have all year to save 300 dollars. That is less than 30 dollars per month.
2. We all know there are tons of churches, charities, and other organisations that will give kids free school supplies.

Thats 300 in one term. Also, some people work full time and still couldnt save 300 over 12 months. Should they be jailed as well?

As far as organizations that will help-so now you are saying that the government shouldnt help these people, but everyone else should. Or at the very least, charities should. Now, let's consider where charities get their funding....

THINK MCFLY!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

They get their funding from donations of people with good hearts. I like to give to charity, because it is my own choice and I am not forced to do it by the long arms of the government. Its called freedom.

It also allows me the freedom to withdraw future donations if I think an organisation is ineffecient or using the money for things I do not support.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by StinkyFeet]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

No I don't think a person only has worth if they make money, but I do think that if you take and never contribute then you are a menace to society and a thief.

So you are really talking about roughly 1% of the population of this country.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Although i have to agree with the OP in some respects..

I think those on welfare, should have to put in time.
Make them volunteer at nursing homes, community centers, litter patrol, etc. What ever is needed in the city.
Honestly if the state is paying for them to live, why not require 10 or 20 hours a week from them.
Not make it shameful, or degrading, but a way to give back to the community.

With our crazy schedule (I work nights, she is starting her Massage business during the day, we trade off watching the little one) we still volunteer when we can. the wife helps out at the local food bank every week, I use to deliver meals on wheels for elderly, nothing wrong with requiring them to return or repay the favor of having a place to live.

Start a company making something, in larger cities.. everyone on welfare has to put in so many hours and produce something that the company can sell, put that money back into the system.. helce they are helping them self and others.

Dont make welfare a Hand OUT but more a Step up.. with the company idea they would have a track record of work history, and in time could be shown how to work effectivly and steady.

We all wish we were rich, and we all (well almost) have had our share of bad luck, but most of us pick up the pieces and try it again. Some i think just need guidance and a little prodding.

as far as the starving children post... that wont happen cps would be in there in a second and take them away.. although that would cause a whole nother set of problems.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

They get their funding from donations of people with good hearts. I like to give to charity, because it is my own choice and I am not forced to do it by the long arms of the government. Its called freedom.

Oh man-this is excruciating.
Do a little research on charities. Check out how much gov't funding and FEDERAL TAX BREAKS that they get. Right out of the gov't's pocket, kiddo.

Also, we have to consider the cost of enforcing these laws that you would have them enforce. The bill for your idea keeps going up and up...but hey, we get to leave a few kids behind, so it's all worth it

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

You are just the type of person we need more of in this crazy world. You work your butt off and use your free time and extra resources to volunteer to make the world better. I commend you. You are a giver. Also, I appreciate your ideas to help put more people to work.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Yes, let's make everyone slaves to the system. After all who could want anything out of life other than to spend their days working to make someone else rich, making pointless products that no one really needs and to pay off massive mortgage debts simply to provide shelter?

Sounds like the ideal system to me.

Do you seriously think that if welfare was abolished you would have more money. Governments will simply spend your taxes on something else.

Remember the missing 2.3 trillions dollars that was announced on September 11th 2001? Just think how many poor families that could have helped. Instead it was spent on who knows what. You should save your outrage for the super rich thieves who rule you. After all, how many billionaires work as hard as you?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Maybe it would cost a little more in the begining but we can look at it as an investment in training people the importance of contributing and not being takers. We could break these generational cycles of abusing the system and the tax payers of this country.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The "too lazy to work" are a minuscule number. Very few people are so lazy that they will live their lives in abject poverty rather than work. The welfare system doesn't pay well. A part-time job at minimum wage would make you much wealthier than getting welfare.

Many welfare recipients have severe but invisible wounds. They are mentally ill or victims of addiction. They are actually incapable of working because of their illnesses, but in general are unable to get effective treatment. They are not provided with the means to get of welfare (or disability). For some, no effective treatment exists. They will always need welfare or disability benefits. For most, effective treatment exists but is denied them.

Addiction and mental illness are diseases, not moral failings. People who suffer from these diseases need to be treated, not punished. Those who cannot be treated need to be protected and cared for, not sent to prison as so often happens.

And the really sad thing is that many of these unfortunates are veterans who fought for us, suffered psychological trauma, and are now treated as criminals instead of the injured soldiers they are.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

They don't give them scientific calculators, flash drives, printer ink, or any of the big ticket items and no we don't have all year to save up since they only told us in August what you needed to have for September. Wrong again. You have no idea how they operate at all really. However that's ok you just don't know because you have no children, hich is fine, just tying to inform you.

About the OP, what about housewives that don't need to work I don't need to really most of the time cause my Hubby makes enough in constuction, right now I do, but no one is hirig so give those losers the JOB I could have???Hell NO WAY!!!! Because they'd only slack a** at it anyway!!!! What I say is leave them to their own devices, if they can't provide for their own then remove their childen from them, plain and simple!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Maybe it would cost a little more in the begining but we can look at it as an investment in training people the importance of contributing and not being takers. We could break these generational cycles of abusing the system and the tax payers of this country.

Apparently you are under the impression that most of this country is on welfare-please, for the last time, do some research.

There is far more abuse of the system by those that make an extravagant wage than those that dont.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

Victims of addiction

What did the drugs just jump up and force themselves down the poor victims mouth, or did the crack pipe run down to the corner and buy crack then leap from the table, light itself, and spin around in a hypnotising fashion until the poor victim was dazed and coudn't fight off the approaching crack pipe from crossing their lips? Then the evil attacking crack pipe made them inhale over and over. I guess coc aine is a hell of a drug.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
[edit on 10/13/2009 by yadda333]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Well yes i am hard worker. my skills are basic computer, forklift operator, auto detailer, some warehouse experience and of course i can run a register and handle money, i worked at a horse track/card club. I have resume but i am redoing it to update.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join