It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 isn't the end of the world, Mayans insist

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Apolinario Chile Pixtun is tired of being bombarded with frantic questions about the Mayan calendar supposedly "running out" on Dec. 21, 2012. After all, it's not the end of the world. Or is it?

Definitely not, the Mayan Indian elder insists. "I came back from England last year and, man, they had me fed up with this stuff." - Mark Stevenson, Associated Press article

Were you waiting for this confirmation? Couldn't find a living Mayan to quiz? Will this ruin the movie for you?
Are you sad having to fall back on actual concerns? Feel better?
At least Apolinario should feel better. He can parlay this into a year or two on the "rubber chicken" dinner circuit. Two years leading up to and maybe six months on the backside explaining why we're all still here. I haven't seen a need for "Mayan elder" in the classifieds lately and so not such a bad gig.

"If I went to some Mayan-speaking communities and asked people what is going to happen in 2012, they wouldn't have any idea," said Jose Huchim, a Yucatan Mayan archaeologist. "That the world is going to end? They wouldn't believe you. We have real concerns these days, like rain." - Mark Stevenson, Associated Press article

I suspect the real world has gotten a bit ho-hum for some of us and so we need a deadline to get off our duffs and perhaps off the societal treadmill. Also there's no doubt that many of us love a train wreck. The abundance of home video disasters on television and sites such as YouTube is testimony to that phenomenon. Even this Associated Press article is not immune to tapping into this bizarre interest. Here's the passage:

It may sound all too much like other doomsday scenarios of recent decades - the 1987 Harmonic Convergence, the Jupiter Effect or "Planet X." But this one has some grains of archaeological basis. - Mark Stevenson, Associated Press article

Was this writer so insecure with his story that he had to throw in "some grains of archaeological basis" to tease you into reading the entire article? And so this article, initially soothing and debunking, falls right back into the tawdry tabloid crap pile.

Anyways, here's the link to the full article. Enjoy everyone and put that "World Cruise" back on your calendars for 2015. (Like you were ever worried!)

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
According to Bob Dean in his latest interview (up now on project camelot), he I guess talked to some Mayans about this and they said that us crazy europeans always get it wrong. They say its not the end of the world, its the end of a time and a dawning of a new age..

They are quite looking forward to it from what he said, and that the apocolypse is happening already, and will do so for a number of years more (apocolypse in the actual translation of it, not the sci-fi end of world stuff...just a revealing and uncovering of the truth).

What that truth is I guess remains to fully be seen, but the transition time (theoretically nowish) is the starting of it. Who knows...maybe we are alien hybrids, or in the matrix, or whatever...but in essence, this time, according to the mayans anyhow, are convinced this is a pretty cool time to live in.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Hemisphere

haha of course 2012 is not the end of the world.
whoever thinks that, is caught up in the doomsday scenario's.

i think however the years leading up to and passing 2012 shall be very, very interesting. anything can really happen at this point,
so i will keep an open mind, because the Mayans might have been onto something!

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I think that its a time when many will die and the lucky few will survive too see a new world of peace. but what do i know

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Thw most newsworthy information I took from the article was about Monument Six:

One of them is Monument Six.

Found at an obscure ruin in southern Mexico during highway construction in the 1960s, the stone tablet almost didn't survive; the site was largely paved over and parts of the tablet were looted.

It's unique in that the remaining parts contain the equivalent of the date 2012. The inscription describes something that is supposed to occur in 2012 involving Bolon Yokte, a mysterious Mayan god associated with both war and creation.

However - shades of Indiana Jones - erosion and a crack in the stone make the end of the passage almost illegible.

Archaeologist Guillermo Bernal of Mexico's National Autonomous University interprets the last eroded glyphs as maybe saying, "He will descend from the sky."

I am ready for that! Hope so anyway.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
According to Bob Dean in his latest interview (up now on project camelot), he I guess talked to some Mayans about this and they said that us crazy europeans always get it wrong. They say its not the end of the world, its the end of a time and a dawning of a new age..

Who are the Mayans in charge of the end times? That's the thing Saturn, we're all just people with no discernible differences in personal power. And so how were the Mayans that Dean talked to different than any other Mayans? Doesn't the "Mayan man on the street" have a clue to this?

We all "get it wrong" as these various scenarios have come and gone from the beginning of prognostication. The prominent examples are many. There was a recent infamous one with tainted Flavor-aid drinking believers covered with purple blankets wearing matching sneakers having prepared for alien abduction aligned with an appearance of the Comet Hale-Bopp. Me? I think they made it. How could I disprove it?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I have a simple idea on the whole 2012 concept. They mayan callender ends because the guy carving it on that big stone tablet ran out of rock and said to hell with the whole project. He'd been carving on one stone for thirteen years while all the other guys in his art class got to carve neat stuff like naked chicks and those really buff warrrior guys chopping other guys heads off.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Apocalypse means Revelation.

Looking forward to it.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
Thw most newsworthy information I took from the article was about Monument Six:

One of them is Monument Six.

Found at an obscure ruin in southern Mexico during highway construction in the 1960s, the stone tablet almost didn't survive; the site was largely paved over and parts of the tablet were looted.

It's unique in that the remaining parts contain the equivalent of the date 2012. The inscription describes something that is supposed to occur in 2012 involving Bolon Yokte, a mysterious Mayan god associated with both war and creation.

However - shades of Indiana Jones - erosion and a crack in the stone make the end of the passage almost illegible.

Archaeologist Guillermo Bernal of Mexico's National Autonomous University interprets the last eroded glyphs as maybe saying, "He will descend from the sky."

I am ready for that! Hope so anyway.

You know the Wizard of Oz took off for Kansas in that balloon. Eventually he would have to come back to earth. Alright, maybe he'd be a little "long in the tooth" but we are talking the supernatural realm, aren't we? For instance "Ek-Chuah" was the intimidating Mayan God of merchants and selling. The Wizard was intimidating to say the least and back in Kansas he was a "snake-oil" salesman. Coincidence? I think not!

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Apocalypse means Revelation.

Looking forward to it.

Precisely! It's just a word and a word of Greek origin at that. The Mayans and the Greeks were chillin'? Yeah right! Why do people insist this "end times" concept was universal?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Dawning of a new age, might be the end of the world for some, I thought they predicted there would be alot of death, upheavel in the world. The White man as they say willno longer be with them, it is no only prophasized with the Mayan Calendar, but it prohosized with tribes older than the europeans etc. Can someone clear this one up for me?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnydavx
I think that its a time when many will die and the lucky few will survive too see a new world of peace. but what do i know

I don't think for one minute that whilst man is in this physical form that there will ever be a world of peace unfortunately.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
On a recent holiday to Mexico, I visited quite a few of the Mayan ruins, which were all very impressive. i asked one of the local souvenir sellers about the calender and it's implications, he laughed and said it's something us crazy gingo's had come up with. i reckon he probably knew more about the calender than most posters on here, so I took his word for it.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
On a recent holiday to Mexico, I visited quite a few of the Mayan ruins, which were all very impressive. i asked one of the local souvenir sellers about the calender and it's implications, he laughed and said it's something us crazy gringo's had come up with. i reckon he probably knew more about the calender than most posters on here, so I took his word for it.

The "Mayan man on the street" so to speak wwjnr. Why is it that sour grapes, end times tales, all come out of ancient crumbling civilizations? How many similar tales are told with our current economic state? The banks will close, no food, society will break down, martial law, we're gonna die!!!

I also suspect a large part of the interest in these ancient prophesies is driven by cash. You can't make much money off of tales of sunshine and lollipops. We've all been there and done that. The world exploding? We never saw that before. Can you get tickets for that at Ticket-Master? Apparently the present day Mayans don't make much of this or for that matter off of this mumbo-jumbo. They don't seem very enterprising. Don't they know how this game is played?

I think Mayans are mostly like your acquaintance ww. Incredulous that there is mumbo-jumbo and that others are concerned with it. Seems they missed their own gravy boat and according to the article it won't be back until somebody finds a way to hype 4772. But I suppose they still have a few months to come aboard.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hemisphere

Then why does the egyptian, chinease and other ancient calendars end on that date>?

Were they all invovled back then, yeah lets conn those near the end of 2012 to spend thier cash, leave them bacnkrupt and hungry while we the ancient races get rich!

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
No one ever said 2012 was the end of the world.. I guess people don't understand the difference between the end of the world and the end of the world as we know it. All it means is change. To my knowledge no one ever said everyone on the planet was going to die and the entire world be destroyed. It really gets on my nerves when people say oh noez the world is going to end. Umm, no. It was never supposed to, try doing some research that doesn't include paranoid conspiracy nobodies who spend their lives back sourcing other non credible theories. There's not a single credible group out there that ever said the world was going to end.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by -NewSense-

Oh and we should believe everything you comment on, if you do not mind I will take what have just posted with a pinch of salt. Alot agree that something will happen on 2012, maybe not the end of the world but something will happen. You just go about your life with your eyes closd oks, let the rest of us try and get through it or survive it if it does happen.......

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

Oh and we should believe everything you comment on, if you do not mind I will take what have just posted with a pinch of salt. Alot agree that something will happen on 2012, maybe not the end of the world but something will happen. You just go about your life with your eyes closd oks, let the rest of us try and get through it or survive it if it does happen.......

Lol, you actually just agreed with what I was just talking about. That's the point, you're not supposed to believe what nobodies post without anything to back it up other than their claims. Do some research.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Already done so so shut up and goe withyour so called those who want us all to believe that nothing will happen on 2012!!! You sound moe like those who try and control everything we think about nowadays...

Guess what wont work....

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

Already done so so shut up and goe withyour so called those who want us all to believe that nothing will happen on 2012!!! You sound moe like those who try and control everything we think about nowadays...

Guess what wont work....

Wow, that was really uncalled for. Where did I ever say nothing would happen in 2012? Please, show me. and I'm not trying to control anything, infact, I support nothing less than free thinkers. I'm really not seeing where this tension is coming from but its giving me my daily dose of laughs so it's all good. Please refrain from judging my thoughts and beliefs, you'll fail everytime.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join