It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 isn't the end of the world, Mayans insist

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by -NewSense-

Could care less about your believes just dont try an force them up others, like you always do...

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by Hemisphere

Then why does the egyptian, chinease and other ancient calendars end on that date>?

Were they all invovled back then, yeah lets conn those near the end of 2012 to spend thier cash, leave them bacnkrupt and hungry while we the ancient races get rich!

How should I know? Do they? If you say so. Don't you question anything regarding these predictions? Did you read and interpret the various ancient texts and items yourself? Or did you just read it on the Internet and go with what was there? A lot of things have been predicted and a lot of predictions can be loosely linked. Does that make any of them correct? These types of things have come a gone for centuries, why no end yet? There was the "Industrial Revolution". Didn't that usher in a "new age"? Not an entirely pleasant one but a new one. But all the others were wrong and the Mayans are right? The article indicates there's no clear prediction by the Mayans only by those that are interpreting what these old items mean. Why don't the current Mayans give a rat's pitoot?

I apologize if I seem to be putting you down Laurauk. That's not my intent. I hope you can enlighten me, that would be welcome. I am skeptical to say the least. I am curios though. Are you actually making life changing personal decisions based on these predictions? Or are you just swept up in the current hype and are considering what can it hurt?

[edit on 11-10-2009 by Hemisphere]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

No That is why I was asking the question to seek some clarification, then was jumped on by some idiot.

Seems those in here do not want us questioning thing or asking about somethings.

But thank you for taking sometime to respond.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

reply to post by -NewSense-

Could care less about your believes just dont try an force them up others, like you always do...

Like I always do? boy the laughs just keep coming. Please, do you have any sources, quotes, anything to back up this claim? Cuz now you're just talkin out your ass..

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

No That is why I was asking the question to seek some clarification, then was jumped on by some idiot.

Seems those in here do not want us questioning thing or asking about somethings.

I thank you for your input Laurauk as well as that of NewSense. It would seem you two have some history. I hope you can resolve that. This Internet thing can get good people at odds when there really isn't much reason for it. Face to face I suspect you two would react a bit differently toward each other. You are your own people and far be it from me to stop your fun.

Thanks again and I sincerely appreciate your input.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

No history isnt evern worth talking about the idiot is on ignore.

Again thank you for your response.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hemisphere

I thank you for your input Laurauk as well as that of NewSense. It would seem you two have some history. I hope you can resolve that. This Internet thing can get good people at odds when there really isn't much reason for it. Face to face I suspect you two would react a bit differently toward each other. You are your own people and far be it from me to stop your fun.

Thanks again and I sincerely appreciate your input.

Well that's just it, I've never seen her before in all my time on ats lol. I stated what I felt about the 2012 end of the world issue, and she came way outta left field swingin a broom lol. It's all good though. I tend to overlook ignorance when it's obvious they aren't open to anything other than what fits their belief systems.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

No history isnt evern worth talking about the idiot is on ignore.

Again thank you for your response.

Ok, maybe it's just me so I'm gonna ask for the help of some of the users. What in the hell is she talking about? How did she get so fiesty over my comments? I don't get it. Someone please point out how her hatred towards anything I've said can be justified. I just don't see it.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by -NewSense-
No one ever said 2012 was the end of the world.. I guess people don't understand the difference between the end of the world and the end of the world as we know it. All it means is change. To my knowledge no one ever said everyone on the planet was going to die and the entire world be destroyed. It really gets on my nerves when people say oh noez the world is going to end. Umm, no. It was never supposed to, try doing some research that doesn't include paranoid conspiracy nobodies who spend their lives back sourcing other non credible theories. There's not a single credible group out there that ever said the world was going to end.

Hi NewSense. Thanks for the input and I will gladly respond to the best of my ability.

Yes, I understand a revelation or a "new age" or something along those lines. If that is the prediction I see the problem as how to identify the change. If nothing changes it will be said "you weren't open to the change". At least with an "end times" scenario we would all get a pay off. Not necessarily a pleasant one but a pay off.

The descriptions of these coming events are always nebulous and open to interpretation. It's hard for them to be wrong. "See, they predicted there would be a big ball of fire in the sky!" Or something along those lines. Odds are in favor of the world ending. I'm not particularly gifted and I can foresee that. Odds also favor we wont be there to see it.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Please post proof of these ancient calendars ending on this date? Stop spreading misinfo because you didnt do your research and listened to others who made up stuff.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Could any of these be the advent of a "new age"?

Report: C7 Corvette Due Out in 2012

World of Warcraft Sequel, due out for 2012.

Eat Your Sushi Now, Tuna Will Be Wiped Out By 2012

Diane Keaton memoir due in 2012

NASA Delays Mars Scout Mission to 2013

And so I ponder the cosmic possibilities..... Will the new corvette run on water? Where do people get the time to play these games? (Or post on ATS for that matter?) Is eating raw fish really all that safe? Diane Keaton? Who doesn't like Diane Keaton and why is it taking so long for her to write the book? Maybe she's playing too much "World of Warcraft" or she's waiting in line at a sushi bar. Do people wait in line for sushi? It is raw fish you know. What's up with NASA, are they waiting for the "new age"? Maybe rocket fuel will be cheaper in 2013.

Maybe the Mayan calendar ended because they ran out of rock notation slabs.

"Hey Bill, I've run out of room and I'm only at the year 2012!"

"That's far enough Hank, we wont be around to see that year anyway."

Thanks for putting up with my irreverence gang. As one of my favorite poets says:

If we weren't all crazy, we'd all go insane. - Jimmy Buffett

Here's some actual Mayan Calendar info with related links:

Mayan Calendar 2012 - Ian Xel Lungold

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I think what people are assuming is I'm ignoring the end times scenerio. Which, even if it were to come, only means alot of people will die. Contrary to popular belief I actually do believe there will be a set of catastrophes wether natural or man made. However, this doesn't mean it's the end of the world. I think what people are failing to realize is the definition of this. That would mean no life would continue and the world would cease to be. My arguement is that no one is saying this is a possibility, what we're saying is, alot of people will die, but some will continue to repopulate and what not. Therefore, "the end of the world" is not a scenerio anyone is predicting, persay. That's all I was trying to say..

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by -NewSense-
I think what people are assuming is I'm ignoring the end times scenerio. Which, even if it were to come, only means alot of people will die. Contrary to popular belief I actually do believe there will be a set of catastrophes wether natural or man made. However, this doesn't mean it's the end of the world. I think what people are failing to realize is the definition of this. That would mean no life would continue and the world would cease to be. My arguement is that no one is saying this is a possibility, what we're saying is, alot of people will die, but some will continue to repopulate and what not. Therefore, "the end of the world" is not a scenerio anyone is predicting, persay. That's all I was trying to say..

It's the nebulous thing all over again though NS. There's always a set of catastrophes. There's a few going on right now, "natural and man made", we're just not always aware of them. There was a tsunami last week and there's starvation happening and when is there not a plane crash and on and on..... I agree, a lot of people will die, a lot of people always die. That's pretty much a given here.

There are some that will say that New Orleans was the catastrophe that ushered in a "new age" in this country. You can read anything into these things. Maybe the change occurred and we all missed it. Maybe our calendar is off in relation to the Mayan's and it's come and gone without a whimper.

2012 is every year. The "end of this world" comes for some of us every day.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

[

...The "Mayan man on the street" so to speak wwjnr. Why is it that sour grapes, end times tales, all come out of ancient crumbling civilizations?
How many similar tales are told with our current economic state? The banks will close, no food, society will break down, martial law, we're gonna die!!! ...

mysteries and speculation about dried-prune ancient civilizations are easier to 'chew-the-fat' about...than the real-time criminals that steer our world around in whirling-derbishes (TARP, the FED, fraudulent paper...
also the slaughters for hegemony in Asia & middleEast...& on-&-on-etc etc)

For the American Society, getting into frenzied, All-Worked-Up states... is an acceptable & normal practice - thanks to modern evangelism gone pop-culture.
So it's understandable that folks do look at 2012 as a type of absolute,
& some of the people go over-the-top.............so what ?

It's not my task in life to (from my viewpoint) 'correct' their personal viewpoint...i can only add my 2 bits to a conversation or reflect on a obvious jump from the reality path

thanks for your thoughts

[edit on 11-10-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
mysteries and speculation about dried-prune ancient civilizations are easier to 'chew-the-fat' about...than the real-time criminals that steer our world around in whirling-derbishes (TARP, the FED, fraudulent paper...
also the slaughters for hegemony in Asia & middleEast...& on-&-on-etc etc)

Thanks for that St Udio. I think you've hit on a big part of what focuses our interest on these ancient cultures and predictions. Perhaps they are mostly a diversion from our "real-time" problems. (We do chew the fat over the current criminal elements here on ATS though.) And perhaps we project our current problems and outlooks on to these historical items.

I wonder do we find comfort in thinking we are experiencing predetermined links in a long chain of events? And/or are we comforted thinking that the future is written and mostly out of our control?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

On a recent holiday to Mexico, I visited quite a few of the Mayan ruins, which were all very impressive. i asked one of the local souvenir sellers about the calender and it's implications, he laughed and said it's something us crazy gingo's had come up with. i reckon he probably knew more about the calender than most posters on here, so I took his word for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a recent visit to my ailing sister in the hospital, I saw quite a few hot dog vendors selling their food across the street. I asked one of the vendors if my sister truly needs her ventilator to breathe.. He laughed, said that the ventilator is something those crazy doctors came up with... See look "I can breathe fine... No ventilator"....

I took his word for it, went back in and pulled the tubes out of her mouth..

Silly Doctors...

[edit on 12-10-2009 by DumbWhitey]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
S&F for this post. Good stuff.

I keep saying, it's a freaking *calendar*. They all run out at some point. Mine runs out every year on December 31, but I never figure that means the world's going to end. It just means my calendar came to the end of the cycle (the year), and now we start a new cycle.

OK, so the Mayans had a much, much longer cycle, thousands of years. That's fine. After 13 repetitions of the basic cycle, it reaches the end. And then, it starts over again, just like every other calendar.

I'll bet anyone $100 that the world won't end on December 21, 2012. Of course, if I lose the bet, I won't have to pay up...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Sure don't want to hi-jack this thread, but if there is interest here for further reading on the subject I can recommend this thread (also)
The risk of believing that 2012 is the end of the world
(It's actually the article it refers to that is worth reading...)

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

No need to leave Raud. There's plenty of speculation and dissecting of the topic around including the link I posted earlier in the thread. For those that missed it, following is a bit of introduction and the related 3 hours of videos by the late Ian Xel Lungold :

"Ian takes a complex subject such as the Mayan Calendar and makes it very easy to understand on a personal level." - google video

Google Video Link

Google Video Link

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

thank you,

this is one of the many sources i have researched regarding what 2012, actually means, and the only conclusion i have come to is, that were going to evolve like we always do! it's a part of life

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join