It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is your paranoid gun culture...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Police: Man Kills Fiancee On Eve Of Wedding...

www.wmur.com...

He thought he had an intruder, he shot the intruder.

The intruder was his fiance, he was about to marry the next day.

Don't get me wrong I feel for the guy, I can't imagine the hell he's going through right now. But is this a sign of a country driven to complete paranoia?

In reality is crime really as bad as the media portrays it? We all know the media blows stuff way out of proportion, and the population acts on that due to ignorance. Can we not find other methods to protect our homes, without reverting to shooting anything that moves without warning? Is the media destroying any common sense, and perspective we should have?

I say yes, what do you think?

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I think as long as the government continues to restrict a constitutional right, then people will continue to act like idiots.

The propaganda reel given off by this administration and the media can be directly attributed to situations like this.

When's the last time you watched CNN and within ten minutes they did not mention somebody being shot or US soldiers dying?

The environment has turned into one of violence. And people aren't paranoid of each other, they are paranoid of the government, which is why they have the right to bear arms in the first place.

Do I want guns in a gang member's hands? No.

Do I want guns in my law abiding good citizen's home? Yes

Weapons are not the problem, humans are.

~Keeper

+26 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Horrible Chainsaw Accident
Monday, May 11, 2009
A man in Otsego killed his wife with a chainsaw in the afternoon and it appears to have been a terrible accident. Allegan Sheriff's deputies report the two were cutting down a tree in their yard, when the chainsaw slipped and cut into the woman's neck. Neighbors, including off-duty Sheriff's deputy David Labonte, tried to help, but there was nothing they could do. The woman died.

www.wtkg.com...

it is painfully obvious this is due to our paranoid chainsaw culture.

seriously....any excuse to villify guns...

we have first amendment rights SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE of our 2nd

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

It really depends on your area down to where you live. Certain neighborhoods are more likely to get robbed, ect.

I'm not sure how common this occurence is really, but a competent person can easily prevent this.

But even cops end up shooting their loved ones on accidents sometimes.

It's all competence in this case, the guy should have either: A) Grabbed his gun, trained it on his bedroom door after locking it and called the police (If the police have a good response time. or B) Grabbed his gun and called out to see if it was someone he knew.

This happened to me several times when I thought my brother wasn't coming home until the morning. All I had to do was ask if it was him, and it prevented me from calling the police, or grabbing my gun.

People need to go to the NRA, tactical trainers, so that these can be prevented.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by Miraj]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

You make an excellent point. There is a lack of fire arms training which directly affects and promotes these types of situations.

There needs to be more oversight when it comes to Firearms Training, not fire arms.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The man was a FOOL for opening up without first checking his target.

That is NOT paranoid gun culture at work. It was poor training and a poor decision that cause that tragedy.

Unfortunatly it does not say in our Constitution that only "smart" people can own firearms. Given enough of the population, things like this are bound to happen from time to time.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Remixtup
Monday, May 11, 2009

These people were trying to cut a tree and one accidentally cut the other.

The first scenario is about a man who was trying to shoot someone and shot someone. See the difference?

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Lillydale

The first one a horrific tragedy happened.... the second a horrific tragedy happened... no i dont see the difference

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

yes...I see the difference...its called dichotomy...the dictionary is your friend.

Main Entry: di·chot·o·my
Pronunciation: \dī-ˈkä-tə-mē also də-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural di·chot·o·mies
Etymology: Greek dichotomia, from dichotomos
Date: 1610
1 : a division into two especially mutually exclusive or contradictory groups or entities ; also : the process or practice of making such a division
2 : the phase of the moon or an inferior planet in which half its disk appears illuminated
3 a : bifurcation; especially : repeated bifurcation (as of a plant's stem) b : a system of branching in which the main axis forks repeatedly into two branches c : branching of an ancestral line into two equal diverging branches
4 : something with seemingly contradictory qualities

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
People think I'm paranoid because I own guns. If I own guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?

Seriously It's a tragic thing , the man was 60+ years old and may not have been able to see or hear correctly. 99% of heartache would not happen if people followed these rules.

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

I can't imagine what this guy is going through or his belated bride to be's family. He should be put on suicide watch.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Wow, I mean how the heck do you manage to shoot your wife to be on accident? Didn't he see she was not there when he woke up or let me guess he slept on the sofa that night?

Seems like a good cover for premeditated murder if you ask me! also to much of a coincidence that he shot her the night before they got married, my bet is that he didn't want to marry her.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by CriticalThinking]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
RULE V : Know whats beyond your target

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
theres simply more to the story than meets the eye

and again this wasnt a gun that killed someone, it was a person who killed someone

guns shouldnt even be part of the discussion

if guns were illegal then the man wouldve just used some other weapon on the woman and shed still be dead

the problem here arent guns, its not the people, its society

our society has been programed to live in fear, and rightfully so, theres a great amount of bs in our society and the government makes it worse with all the new laws meant to protect us and keep us safe, they dont, they just make things worse, they make people more desperate, they make people more paranoid, and our world is turning to crap

what i am sick of those is after every single event happens with a gun there are way too many people bitching and moaning about getting rid of guns

i which we had powerful enough computers to simulate for these people how the world would be if only criminals could get the guns, which is what would happen if they made guns illegal

edited also to say, the only paranoia involved in guns are the people so scared of guns they constantly complain to have them banned, those are the paranoid people

[edit on 10-10-2009 by Dramey]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
You'll make some great points and I can't really find anything to completely disagree with.

Training should be a no brainer. Is it too easy to own a gun, much like it's too easy to own a drivers license?

And you're right it's not the GUNS fault, much like it's not the cars fault when you run someone over. We're not going to ban cars, as much as I'd like to, at least in cities.

My point really is that it is the fault of society, gun ownership laws are way to liberal. Our exceptance of guns is way too liberal, the fault of movies and such imo.

It's a difficult one for me, on the one hand I believe in the right for people to own, and do, whatever they want as long it doesn't effect other people, but on the other hand can we trust ourselves to allow such freedoms?

If you look at it more people die from guns in situations other than random stranger on stranger killings, so logically gun ownership causes more death than gun crime on strangers, such as house invasions.

I also don't buy that without guns we wouldn't be safe. The US has one of the highest crime rates in the world. Some countries with no guns have very low crime rates. I also don't agree that if guns were banned only criminals would own them. That might be true at first but eventually, as guns are no longer manufactured and distributed and are confiscated from criminals, the supply would dry up.

I believe it's paranoia, about over hyped crime from the media, that fuels the constant fear of being a victim that pervades society, and causes you to want to arm yourselves to the teeth. The chance of you being the victim of gun crime is extremely rare, but the media makes you fear constantly from a perceived threat that is just not realistic.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracyrus

The first one a horrific tragedy happened.... the second a horrific tragedy happened... no i dont see the difference

So if a loved one dies in surgery or is gunned down in the street, that is the same thing?

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

yes...I see the difference...its called dichotomy...the dictionary is your friend.

Ok and........defining dichotomy is a response for what reason again?

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Training should be a no brainer. Is it too easy to own a gun, much like it's too easy to own a drivers license?

That is it right there. I am not sure that anything should ever be banned but there should definitely be tighter restrictions on who can have certain things. Idiots that shoot at any noise downstairs without at least checking to see if your bed is empty are a good example.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Only an idiot fires at someone without clearly checking his target. He deserves every bit of jail time he gets, and should be beaten with the gun stock.

He is in irresponsible gun owner, and is probably irresponsible in other area's of his life as well. A responsible gun owner will not shoot unless they are sure of their target, and what is behind it.

Don't blame this on guns, or gun culture. Blame it on blatant stupidity.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk
or gun culture. Blame it on blatant stupidity.

That is the gun culture. If it were not that way, every idiot with an index finger would not think he can just get a gun and be superman. In a non- gun culture, they just might be respected as they should be.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Monday, May 11, 2009
A man in Otsego killed his wife with a chainsaw in the afternoon and it appears to have been a terrible accident. Allegan Sheriff's deputies report the two were cutting down a tree in their yard, when the chainsaw slipped and cut into the woman's neck. Neighbors, including off-duty Sheriff's deputy David Labonte, tried to help, but there was nothing they could do. The woman died.

www.wtkg.com...

it is painfully obvious this is due to our paranoid chainsaw culture.

seriously....any excuse to villify guns...

we have first amendment rights SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE of our 2nd

Yeah, this.

Aaaaand, I love your sig line(s), but now my head hurts.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join