It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

Do you think we are going to see peace in the middle east?

Did we see peace in the Middle East after Menachem Begin and Yasser Arafat won....?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ethereal Gargoyle
reply to post by LadySkadi

The Nobel prize never was about money.... especially not the Peace award.
And I suspect he can afford it.
It's also a good "investment" for the future, in terms of public image and percieved credibility... and I see it's already paying off!

As I said, I have nothing against him, I like him alright.
But awarding him this prize *now* is just ridiculous.

If that was a crack at me, at least target the correct point and understand I was implying that rational arguments don't involve "catch-words" like Satan and the Anti-Christ, unless one is making a Religious argument... Throw 'em in and the post is a wash...

[edit on 9-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Obama's acceptance speech:

I accept this award with gratitude, on behalf of the American plutocracy, who realized that, having betrayed the asperations of so many, and frustrated the initiative of the American people for generations, it was no longer possible to get votes by appealing to the "can do" spirit of a great nation. Real innovation in election fraud doesn't involve stuffing ballot boxes, hiring mob enforcers, or hacking the electronic voter terminals.

No.

The new wave of voter fraud involves the complicated art of appealing to delusional fantasies, and . . . not specifying which fantasies, leaving the voter to insert his own fantasy into the electoral platform being presented.

Thus was born the campaign for "hope".

Here the President smiles that mile wide Pepsodent (Trade Mark Reg'd.) smile and leans away from the podium, chuckling. A ripple of polite laughter rolls through the audience. There is a camera close-up of David Rockefeller smiling as he makes a remark to a person seated next to him.

Hope.

A moment of laughter from the President.

I believe we are at the beginning of a new era in voter manipulation.

Scattered applause.

I don't know what to call this new era. An era in which people vote on the basis of something so ephemeral as hope (!?) It certainly must qualify as a turning point in human history. Perhaps I should leave it at that.

More scattered applause.

Let the historians decide . . what to call the age at which it became clear that human evolutionary momentum had come to a halt and that we had started the irreversible slide back into the slime from which we emerged billions of years ago.

Thunderous applause and standing ovation as the President of the United States of America leaves the podium.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This pretty much says it all about the GOP and the hard right's blind hatred of president Obama:

www.guardian.co.uk...

There was what President Obama likes to call a teachable moment last week, when the International Olympic Committee rejected Chicago's bid to be host of the 2016 summer games.

"Cheers erupted" at the headquarters of the conservative Weekly Standard, according to a blogpost by a member of the magazine's staff, with the headline "Obama loses! Obama loses!". Rush Limbaugh declared himself "gleeful". "World Rejects Obama," gloated the Drudge Report. And so on.

So what did we learn from this moment? For one thing, we learned that the modern conservative movement, which dominates the modern Republican party, has the emotional maturity of a bratty 13-year-old. But more important, the episode illustrated an essential truth about the state of American politics: At this point, the guiding principle of one of our nation's two great political parties is spite, pure and simple. If Republicans think something might be good for the president, they're against it whether or not it's good for America.

What was true for the lost Olympic bid is true of the Nobel Peace prize win...and even though I think it is unwarranted the right's rabid and vehement reactions are as Paul Krugman said...spite, pure and simple.

Dumbo should hang his head in shame...the GOP...the big tent party has become the party of mean spirits and hatefulness.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by grover]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
that prize was bought i tell ya,

and stolen from the real winners... -__-

nobel-prize-in-physics-shared-by-ccd-inventors-fiber-optics-pio 10-6-09

www.nytimes.com...

www.engadget.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
wow pretty much confirms to me hes a puppet

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

There was no "crack".... It's true, isn't it? People obviously perceive his giving the money away (the Peace award recipients usually do this, BTW, I don't remember anyone ever kept it) as a PR point for him - so it *is* paying off.

(The part about "Satan" and the "anti-Christ" I do not understand. I don't think I've ever used these expressions on this board, I rarely use them in real life, and I would have a hard time linking them to Barack Obama....)

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Ethereal Gargoyle]

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Ethereal Gargoyle]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

You are making this about party when there are many people on the hard left who think this a joke.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
From Global Post.

www.globalpost.com...

the committee said that he was the person to contribute the most to peace in the last year — a key criteria of Alfred Nobel’s will — by putting emphasis on multilateral diplomacy, rather than unilateral military action.

"It was unavoidable to give the prize to the man who has improved the international climate and emphasized negotiations and dialogue,” Jagland told GlobalPost.

His colleague on the committee, secretary Geir Lundestad, concurred, saying that Obama had achieved a lot already.

“We want to emphasize that he has already brought significant changes,” Lundestad told GlobalPost, citing Obama’s focus on multilateral institutions, dialogue and negotiations, arms control and nuclear disarmament, as well as the environment. “All these things have already taken place and this already has had a very significant impact on international relations.”

He added: “We do of course hope that there will be many concrete changes over the years, but when a president makes all these changes on these ideals, which are the ideals the Norwegian Nobel Committee has had for 100 years, we felt it was right to strengthen him as much as we can in this further struggle for these ideals.”

Clearly the committee chose to do this to hold his feet to the fire as it were and in this light I deem it a good thing.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

An era in which people vote on the basis of something so ephemeral as hope (!?)

Very good point.
But people usually tend to "vote" for whatever is missing.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I think it unwarranted as well HOWEVER I find the negativity and hatred directed towards him about it ugly and worth pointing out also.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This makes me sick. CNN is actually saying obama deserves the nobel peace prize and they have now created a fake battle to say

Dems say he deserves it

and conservatives say he doesn't

I hope the web bot predictions come true because I can not take any more GD lies or corruption.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by FredMcWoozy]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ethereal Gargoyle

There was no "crack".... It's true, isn't it? People obviously perceive his giving the money away (the Peace award recipients usually do this, BTW, I don't remember anyone ever kept it) as a PR point for him - so it *is* paying off.

(The part about "Satan" and the "anti-Christ" I do not understand. I don't think I've ever used these expressions on this board, I rarely use them in real life, and I would have a hard time linking them to Barack Obama....
)

Hmm, well the (duh) emoticon in your response would (in print) suggest otherwise.

As to the General statement I made regarding Religious symbolism (in this thread) you're right, that had nothing to do with you, it was made in reference to several prior posts/posters that did use them and I would suggest use them ineffectually as this thread has no Religious relevance (again, my opinion).

As to public image, well, of course it's a maneuver... what in Politics isn't?

[edit on 9-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

You are part of a handful of hard left liberals who "deems this a good thing".

The rest want to know, what the hell he did in his first 11 days to warrant being nominated and chosen to win this award.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
"It's because I'm black init" now has an entirely new meaning.

I agree, Obama's words have brought great promise into a large number of people. however, please correct me if I am wrong, but the only thing Obama has accomplished so far is being the first black President of the United States.

This is an appalling decision in my eyes, awards thrown around like this only serve to discredit the previously creditable great minds and people to have received this award. A complete and irrefutable devaluation of the Noble prize.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

I think it unwarranted as well HOWEVER I find the negativity and hatred directed towards him about it ugly and worth pointing out also.

And some of the vitriol I've heard from the far left on this issue is pretty nasty. You can't simply point at the GOP and scream "OMG THEY ARE SO MEAN". They aren't the only people upset by this.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredMcWoozy
CNN is actually saying obama deserves the nobel peace prize and they have now created a fake battle to say

What do you mean? (I haven't watched CNN today.)
Since when is the newscasters' job to give opinion on what they're reporting?
Or was it some commentator they had on? That's a very different thing.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I deem it a good thing because it will put pressure on him to live up to it...not a good thing simply because he won.

Huge difference.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This prize is a little disconcerting. This is a set-up. TPTB are about to bring Obama down in a big way.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by antonia

What? negativity and ugly for saying someone does not deserve the nobel peace prize for having ZERO accomplishments in his life.

This proves you're brainwashed.

O no, we don't want to offend the all high and mighty compulsive liar. If anything this proves Obama is a puppet and this is reinforcement to keep his puppetness up. He was already named the security council president at the UN to promote more corruption. I need to throw up now.

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join