It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science is finally taking a new approach, a CURE for religion.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I believe the below link to be a historic moment:

www.youtube.com...

This is virtually a public outing of a new movement in science. One that I have been eagerly awaiting. I believe the core of the above message is that science can stop religion in it's tracks by way of a biological cure. Religious belief and fervor is a biological/genetic trait. Science is constantly pinning down the 'god region' and is very close to finding the precise genetic markers of religious belief. Just a few days ago it was announced colorblind monkeys were cured with gene therapy. I believe many scientists behind the scenes are currently plotting the same technologies could cure religion. Ideally it can be a therapy with an aerosol like distribution, or could be covertly added to the nations water supply, food supply, vaccine programs, etc. This will not only be a brilliant thing for the USA but for the Middle East as well and all countries biologically held prisoner by this disease. It would mean the complete awakening of mankind and prosperity we can not even imagine.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

This is wrong is, well in a infinite number of ways. first, a cure, as in some sort of medicine? this is messing with the natural human brain. the only humane way is to present your side of the story and thats it. not through a biological war against them.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

A cure for religion, so bogus... Maybe if they cured the death thing then we wouldnt need religion... Its like bombing for beace it doesnt make since

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I hope the OP is being sarcastic,I wouldnt personally be a very religious person but faith and religion are very important and dear to billions of people. thats not something to be cured

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I seriously doubt a gene even exists. religion is nurture not nature.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I think you might have missed the memo on this one...
The God gene doesn't exist.
A few years ago some "scientists" thought it did.
And while we are able to watch brains "light up" in certain areas when we think about god or faith, it is not caused by a gene.
As the person above me stated, it's nurture not nature.
(It could be nature to wonder, and to imagine, but do you really think, left to your own devices, the religious programming would come out the same?)
Now, having said all that, Beyond Belief is a brilliant program. I watch it every year and I've learned a lot from it and it has expanded my research into the domain of morality, existentialism, faith, science and particularly, the idea of authenticity.

I think that you and I just became friends, so I'll tell you now, I believe in God, I just don't pretend to know anything about the idea.

If you would like to read something that you'd enjoy please visit anti-socialengineering.com which is my blog about these very subjects.

s and f
edited to add
ps I agree 100% that religion must end.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by briantaylor]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Where, at any point during the video you posted, did the speaker call for a medical "cure" for religious belief?

What does the video do to justify your claim?

That the man is a scientist that opposes religion?

Big deal - I don't see him advocating anything of the sort, he's advocating the view that scientists should argue against religion.

I don't even particularly agree with that, but it's a far cry from calling for tampering with people's genes

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Unfortunately, there are no 100% cures for any of the many mental illnesses that beset mankind. There are medications to reduce the effects, but you cannot "cure" a problem as deeply rooted in the brain as schizophrenia, down syndrome, or religious indoctrination.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Or maybe, they could use this gene-tech to make everyone believe the same religion!

In your mind, OP, how exactly would they administer this "cure"? Pass out leaflets to every person in the world saying, "Dear religious adherent! Please come to 123 Main Street and have your God gene removed! You not following your belief system, because some think it's bad, will make the world a better place,"?

For some reason, I think that, even if this "cure" were to come to pass, just as very few of you that are against religion would get in line to become theists, not very many people in the world would sign up to have their brain diddled with in such a way that they wouldn't believe in a God or their particular belief system anymore.

[edit on 9/17/2009 by octotom]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

They don't have to diddle with your brain to change your genes...
They could do it any number of ways, even without you knowing...
Ate any KFC lately?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by briantaylor

*sigh*...okay, not many people would get in line to have their genes diddled with so that they would go from theist to atheist.

No, I haven't been to a KFC lately. The closest one to me is in Berlin, which is four hours away. I wouldn't touch the stuff anyhow.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I do not agree with people claiming it is not possible and there is no 'religious gene'. I have seen interesting studies showing that brain abnormality causes religious fervor. For example non religious becoming religious fanatics shortly after a brain trauma to a specific key region of the brain. This damage somewhat proving a part of the brain is responsible. Any part of the human body that is abnormal IS that way due to that individuals genetic code (ignoring physical accidents). And through gene therapy it can be corrected. I am not saying they will find one silver bullet but it could be close to such a scenario. Brilliant and staggering discoveries are made every day, who are we to say this is not possible? I also do not believe in the nurture theory. I have several friends who are Atheists and come from insanely religious families who tried their damnedest to indoctrinate them but it didn't take hold. To me that shows that individual was lacking the genetic markers for falling into religion..

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by briantaylor

*sigh*...okay, not many people would get in line to have their genes diddled with so that they would go from theist to atheist.

No, I haven't been to a KFC lately. The closest one to me is in Berlin, which is four hours away. I wouldn't touch the stuff anyhow.

This would be a war on religion that is done guerrilla style. Sure, no one would volunteer to be cured but the movement would get this fix into the public by force and covert means.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I wish they'd come up with a cure for people who wish everyone to think the same and have the same same beliefs . SO religion is a sickness there for having ideas and beliefs that differ from the norm must be a sickness too . I'm not religious , but I think if a society wanted to eliminate region they could adapt a Communist Chinese system in which religion is beaten and terrorized out of the people.

link   

Gene manipulation to produce "normal" human beings sounds like Nazi eugenics experiments. Who is to say what "normal" is?

And atheists with religious parents doesn't sound like genes at all- wouldn't the children inherit the "religious gene" from their parents? Sounds more like nurture to me.

link   
Assuming that one could actually link religion to a specific biological function -

Logically, since most of the planet is religious then this trait has has a significant selective advantage.

That you could "cure" it, and it would be back in very short order.

Trying to "cure" a trait that has such a significant selective advantage that it dominates the vast majority of the planet's population would be useless.

Analysing WHY this trait is advantageous....now that has possibilities.

link   
if religion is genetic. how do you explain born again christians? living there life then all of a sudden OMG JESUS SAVED ME

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by the illuminator
if religion is genetic. how do you explain born again christians? living there life then all of a sudden OMG JESUS SAVED ME

Well.. I had hair most of my life then lost it all

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

im sorry you had to admit that LOL

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Analysing WHY this trait is advantageous....now that has possibilities.

Advantageous? Religious are turning society into the film "Idiocracy" as we speak. Don't get me started on the wars.. all based on who has the most powerful imaginary friend. It is a horrific thing to witness. Read my signature for example.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by reasonable]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join