It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science is finally taking a new approach, a CURE for religion.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I have A LOT of questions about this (to the makers of the "cure," not the OP).

1) As a man of faith, I consider it highly offensive that my belief in religion is somehow being construed as a pathology. This is wrong.

2) They say the "cure" pertains to religion, but what are the knock-on effects? Does it destroy all religious impulses? Or only the more "fanatical" ones? Where is the line drawn? Does it impact opinions on other more secular matters like politics -- to my mind it must. Does it make people more politically passive as well, open to suggeestions of leaders, etc?

3) Consider North Korea: a totally "secular" state but one in which the devotion to the "Dear Leader" takes on a fanatic tone as viper-like as anything the most fanatical religions espouse. One can be sent to labor camp for placing a glass of water on top of the Great Leader's book, because this is construed as a kind of "blaspehemous" act. Very few religions are that fanatical. Children must regularly lay flowers at statues of the "Dear Leader," shrine-like. They are not allowed to draw pictures of him, however, because it would be "blaspehmous" to desicrate His Sacred Image. Only carefully trained elites are allowed to depict the leader artistically. And so on. Would the "miracule cure" impact such behavior? If so, it modifies SOCIAL and POLITICAl ideas as well as RELIGIOUS ideas, and thus can be deeply abused.

4) Consider the following quote: "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood." Is this a "religious" sentiment or a secular one? It is article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. If one fanatically believed this to be true, would this constitute "religious" belief? How would the medication impact it?

5) In University (secular) I took a number of philosophy courses, including Medieval Philosophy. We studied, from a secular point of view, works by medieval theologists like St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Bonaventure, for example. How would "secular" study of such philosophy (which was written originally as Christian theology) be impacted? Where does one draw the line between religion and philosophy? Are we to wipe out all philosophy too?

This is a dark road to be traveling. I hope these people and everyone connected with this project fails miserably.

[edit on 9/17/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Readers may be intested in these links. Unfortunately some require a subscription to read the full story:

How your brain creates god: New Scientist 1

The God gene: New Scientist 2

When delusion triumphs over truth: New Scientist 3

Is science out of control: New Scientist 4

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
tak e a good look around,
can you see what god has done for you.?
a whole universe and your soul.
science has no conscience,and persists
in proving that god couldn't exist.
A lot of 'their"discoveries
and jobs,actually depend
on gods principles

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

to have religion you must believe.
belief cannot be cured.
it cures you.

i however do not believe in religion. i do believe in a god though and an afterlife, alternate realities, alternate dimensions, ghosts, aliens, and i do believe that anything is possible if not probable or improbable as things can be too ;-P

i dont know if you can cure all those things.

heck, science, studies, and research has pretty much proven we have a soul, there is an afterlife, out of body experiences are real, aliens are out there, ghosts exist, and that probably live in a holographic universe, that 99.9999% of everything we see is just empty space and that the other 0.0001% is jumping in and out of existance. It's also proven that we are all psychic and our brains know the future and have decided what im going to do already before i even know what i want to do...

its too much.

science has given so much thats it hard not to believe in a god.

cant cure my belief. science practically proves it.

cant wait for more science inthe future ;-P

It doesn't mean i follow any known religion like christian, etc. i have my own spirituality.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by DaRAGE]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

The whole idea reminds me of that movie Equilibrium?

Equilibrium is set in the futuristic, and dystopian city-state of Libria. In the year 2072 [2], the Third World War devastated the planet. Realizing that humanity likely wouldn't survive another war, the leaders of the world sought to create a society free of conflict. It was determined that human emotion was the primary cause of conflict, and thus any and all emotionally stimulating material was banned. These materials are rated "EC-10" for "emotional content" (a reference to the MPAA film rating system[3]), and are typically destroyed by immediate incineration. Furthermore, all citizens of Libria are required to take regular injections, called "intervals," of an emotion-suppressing drug called Prozium, collected at the distribution centers known as "Equilibrium".

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This to me is an outrage. I am a "christian" yet I would never think to go looking for a cure to atheism!

Why would people want to change the way my mind works? It's not a genetic disorder or anything of the sorts. It's easy to see in daily life that humans are born with a need for company. We're social creatures. Some get that company from friends and family, others from a significant other, and still others from God.

All those atheists always say christians force their beliefs upon them, well look at this. We didn't go making up some imaginary genetic disorder and then claim to have a cure for said-disorder. Wtf is the world coming to....?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
www.vaticanotours.com...

Sistine chapel

Hallelujah - G.F. Handel "Messiah" - Bethany College Choir

www.youtube.com...

Rumi Poem, Iranian Music and Divine Dance

www.youtube.com...

Tibetan Chant - Tara Emanations

www.youtube.com...

Sri Durga devi Dhyanam - Album: Sacred Chants

www.youtube.com...

Yeha-Noha (Wishes of Happiness & Prosperity)

www.youtube.com...

Please don't silence the soul.

[edit on 123030p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

[edit on 123030p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I find militant atheist as dogmatic and self righteous as the Christians they attack. Any form of fanaticism is bad and yes EVEN atheist up high on their pseudo moral pedestals can become quite fanatic.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I find militant atheist as dogmatic and self righteous as the Christians they attack. Any form of fanaticism is bad and yes EVEN atheist up high on their pseudo moral pedestals can become quite fanatic.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I think the OP has allowed a hatred of religion to blind him.

Some people feel taking away ones liberty is the only revenge. They don't realize they have become just as bad as the people they abhor.

You can't replace religious tyranny with secular tyranny because all religions are not the same.

There are people who change their lives because of religion. I know former gang members that are now Pastors and help feed the homeless because of a religious experience.

There's people who get comfort when they lose a son or a daughter from their religious faith.

Is there a destructive face to religion? Yes.

There's people who kill and try to control the souls of men in the name of religion.

There's also people who kill and try to control the souls of men because of faith in a political ideology.

Should we find the political gene and destroy it also?

There's atheist who kill because they have no respect for life. Should we destroy the atheist gene as well?

This is an illogical black hole and at the end of the day there would not be a human race if we neutered everything that we don't like.

This is because everything is based on ying/yang. There's positive and negative in everything.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I would like to believe that there is no "God-gene" because thats what seems the most logical to me. Saying religion is nurture, not nature, makes perfect sense to me.

However...

I grew up to a Christian father and protestant mother. I literally remember being about 6 years old and my dad explaining Adam and Eve to me. It just didn't click. I always questioned everything about religion. It just never added up to me. I mentally couldnt grasp the fact that there is a supernatural person who controls everything and is the reason for everything. It just didn't make sense.

Later in my life I learned more about religions and different beliefs and stuff... and I still wouldnt say there is a god. I'm a devout Humanist.

There is no god. It's just silly to think otherwise.

Dawkins for president.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

As much as I dislike organized religion, that's exactly what it is.

ORGANIZED RELIGION. There is nothing wrong with personal religion. It's a choice people get to make.

I'm already "cured" of this so called disease (sarcasm) and I didn't need any gene therepy. Why? Because religious belief is not biological.

Yes there is a certain region of the brain that lights up during times of religious activities etc, but there's one for sex too. What if they get that one instead and you don't have a sex drive anymore?

Very wrong, on all levels.

Let people do whatever they want, so long as they aren't infringing on the rights of others.

Libertarianism Forever.

~Keeper

[edit on 9/19/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Double post,

[edit on 9/19/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I still believe that religious fervor is driven by a genetic issue no different to eye color. I believe this for various reasons such as the above poster unable to 'click' in spite of nurture. I have several Atheist friends who grew up in staunch religious families and never once felt an iota of religious interest. Their genetic traits for falling into religion are not there! Why be anti-religious? Religion lives in the past and the most evangelical are the most dangerous and influential of all. They want to take humans back to the stone ages and keep us there, trapped in their hierarchy and system to maintain power... just look at Texas, the middle east, the creationist museum, teap partyers, etc etc etc.. When it comes to the advancement of humanity religion is THE single biggest roadblock. I want a world full of rationalists bent on improving our planet and ourselves, not people perpetually killing each other over who has the best imaginary friend. Now it seems the religious in this thread are horrified, but once they are exposed to the treatment they will feel differently, liberated -a new life of wonder awaits them.. It will come, the technology for pinpointing genetic variances in large numbers of people is exploding at an exponential rate. The technology for adjusting genetic abnormalities is also increasing. The greatest minds in the world all know the scourge of humanity is religion and they know they must fix it for humanities sake. As for Atheists being converted to religious by this technology it is unlikely, they do not have the numbers of scientists and genius to make it so. The religion cure and the singularity will be emerging around the same time.. the future is looking bright in this regard.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I believe that wanting to exterminate Religion is as evil a plot as The Bankers Elites plots on World Domination etc.

First of all! It's a complete violation of Human Rights.
A human being has the right of choice.

You can tell them and show them what you want and what facts you can get up about religion being "wrong" but it is THEIR choice to decide.

ALSO! IT'S IGNORANT TO SAY RELIGION IS THE SOURCE OF WAR AND SUFFERING!

I've never heard of the bible or the Quran telling people to kill and murder for the sake of ANYTHING!

THE INDIVIDUAL IS THE PROBLEM!

Now untill you realize that, all your solutions will and Always WILL be as "wrong" as religion.

There is no easy way to extermination. It's done one by one.
Every solution doing things FAST and in one shot have always ended in failure.

Personally, I believe that if we didn't have religious people, we'd be dead a LONG time ago.

AT LEAST we have people (Some Religions) who are willing to believe that we reincarnate and so that it is worth keeping this world in shape for your return.

If you believe you are just going to die and "DISSAPEAR" then why the hell should you continue our race?

If people believed they'd just die, most of them wouldn't give a shizzle.. What's the purpose?

But that doesn't matter, that's just a viewpoint of mine!

That's my ideas.

I just hate when people ignorantly accuse Religion as the problem when the individual is causing them..

[edit on 19-9-2009 by Victory020791]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree that it isn't biological!

IT'S ALL IN THE STATE OF MIND!

Liberal!

The Power of choice!

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Science requires faith. They have to believe in the current paradigm. Unless you replicate every single experiment, or only accept the truth of result that you yourself have obtained, you require faith in the eminent minds that came before.

Science is perhaps a religion in the truest sense. God is the elusive equation that explains everything, He is the way the universe works and all the techno-priests in their white, chemical-stained robes are seeking to understand Him. Their morality is survival of the fittest and they have enslaved us all.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Victory020791
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree that it isn't biological!

IT'S ALL IN THE STATE OF MIND!

So are blue eyes, hair color, and the size of your nose.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Millions have been killed in the name of Christianity alone. Religion kills.

A cure for religion would save lives, or are the lives that would be spared deemed not worth saving over that of religion? Would God have the masses choose peace over a religion or would he have them choose more murder?

I can guess what choice your average Christian would make if asked to make the decision - peace or religion. Religion, Christianity at least will always pick love of themselves over that of a brother, it's what it is...

Star and flag for poster.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

No religion does not kill, humans kill. If religion didn't exist, I'm sure humans would find plenty of other reasons to kill instead, which is proven daily.

Also most of the so called religious wars are based on "politics" as the main agenda.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join