It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I want to go to "home" i'll click the logo, Stop The Madness!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Just popping in to add my voice to the complaint.
Get rid of the excessive clicky bar!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
What are the benefts of having the sidebar click go to homepage anyway?

There's drawbacks, and it's happened to lots of people.

I reckon should get shut of it. We've all had it annoying us BOOOO!!

[edit on 17-9-2009 by john124]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I find if I let my cursor sit in the side bar it does the same thing with out me clicking.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'm just adding my voice to the growing roar of the crowd. Please, pretty please kill it!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
For those who didnt see my excessive photo buried at the end of page 3...

EXCESSIVENESS TO THE MAX!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Lengthy response gone, response ended up being facetious because I was annoyed. LOL

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I AGREE DESTERATELY OP

I wanted to make this thread yesterday, I must have done it 5 times. It's fristrating, and I am clicking there because I am looking for blank space so I can move my screen up and down.

I know this is deliberate, so we will click your ads.

But please have mercy, it's not fun to fight with this.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
i agree... seems that someone got creative with the gif mapping and thought it would be interesting to incorporate, yet the tiling downward means that only the gifs at the top are clickable.

end them, they are unecessary

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Ahhh I never considered the ads! Ok, admins now that I understand this is completely profit driven and not user satisfaction driven.

Let me be the first to say, from the bottom of the heart of the "non-advertisement bombarded" members... we don't want to go home.

And if we do, we will use one of the THREE other links available. Please remove it for us... at least... let the newbs suffer alone.

Yes, people, you read correctly.. I am selfishly ditching you.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
i agree, been having the same problem.

ive been living with it.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Some of the responses in this thread have been amusing.

As a new member of ATS, I find that reading through entire threads about ATS-related issues is useful for me, as it gives me insights into the prevailing mind-set of the ATS members, as well as the technical issues that may be bugging ATS members, not to mention what the Mod Squad moderators have to say, as I like their kind of savvy internet wisdom.

I was initially going "what frigg'n sidebar"? I use Firefox, so there's no sidebar in any post in Firefox; however, I checked out the IE and there was, indeed, a sidebar in the reply box in the IE, so it appears that it's an IE-related issue, not an ATS-related issue.

So go yell at Bill Gates, not ATS, I suggest.

And, like some of you, I ALWAYS copy my post that I will have worked up before sending through the preview link, then, after proof-reading it and making any necessary corrections, I then send it off via the "reply" liink. I follow this rule on ALL forums that I participate in. I've lost big posts, too, and that is so annoying, big-time, so copying your post (several times during your composition, if necessary) will save you many moments of aggravation.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Historical-Mozart

Sorry you're wrong, it is in Firefox.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Historical-Mozart
Some of the responses in this thread have been amusing.

As a new member of ATS, I find that reading through entire threads about ATS-related issues is useful for me, as it gives me insights into the prevailing mind-set of the ATS members, as well as the technical issues that may be bugging ATS members, not to mention what the Mod Squad moderators have to say, as I like their kind of savvy internet wisdom.

I was initially going "what frigg'n sidebar"? I use Firefox, so there's no sidebar in any post in Firefox; however, I checked out the IE and there was, indeed, a sidebar in the reply box in the IE, so it appears that it's an IE-related issue, not an ATS-related issue.

So go yell at Bill Gates, not ATS, I suggest.

And, like some of you, I ALWAYS copy my post that I will have worked up before sending through the preview link, then, after proof-reading it and making any necessary corrections, I then send it off via the "reply" liink. I follow this rule on ALL forums that I participate in. I've lost big posts, too, and that is so annoying, big-time, so copying your post (several times during your composition, if necessary) will save you many moments of aggravation.

As the above poster mentioned. You are wrong.

We are not talking about a seperate frame, for us users that do not have ads, it's just a graphic that says ABOVETOPSECRET.COM vertically up each side of our page.

If you don't know what I am talking about, look at the images I provided. That is from Firefox (the only browser I use).

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Oh this is bad, I read through all 4 pages and couldn't find anywhere on the sidebars to click to go home.

Then I opened up a thread, was going to scroll down to reply and BAM! I was sent to the homepage.

I am adding my vote to kill this new feature!

Hmm I also got sent to the video page when clicking a random spot on the sidebar, WTH.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by gluetrap]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Amen!!!!

I thought I was just doing a new screw up!

Listen to the OP ATS Gods!!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Alright,

top new threads... check.
many notable members... check.
not one person in 4 pages defending the feature... check.
not one valid reason for the feature... check.
understanding that 5 links to anything is excessive... check.

Any admin or moderator showing up to discuss.... .... ..... .. ... .

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Sidebars/media link drives me mental when it kills my post.
Accidentally mouse falls off the bed etc etc....
I used to use the left hand side of ats forum (now silly media clicky part) to navigate using clickscroll.... not any more. Now I'm left handed for 2 months after an accident - this makes it more difficult.

My 5c of worthless money.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
For what it is worth. I am not a fan of the side bar link either. I did just the same thing several times yesterday, Of course now I am used to it and have not done it again.

I certainly know how frustrating it is to write out a long post only to have it deleted after accidently deviating from the current page...

When I want to go to the home page I find it perfectly easy to click on the home link. I would support getting rid of this new link... For what it is worth...

GST

Forum member and moderator

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
Alright,

top new threads... check.
many notable members... check.
not one person in 4 pages defending the feature... check.
not one valid reason for the feature... check.
understanding that 5 links to anything is excessive... check.

Any admin or moderator showing up to discuss.... .... ..... .. ... .

hehe before realizing the same fact and posting i went through the entire thread looking for a mod reply.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
just adding my share. i too have noticed and find it distracting as i usually like to click on empty areas on a web page to reset focus after things like scrolling or using forms, etc..

but i don't think it has anything to do with linking to the home page. i have seen ads as backgrounds and i think that is what the click is for. more ads. i just hope the next step wont be pop-up/unders and full page ads.

stuff like this drives people away.
i've seen it happen.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join