It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I want to go to "home" i'll click the logo, Stop The Madness!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

[edit on 16-9-2009 by watchZEITGEISTnow]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchZEITGEISTnow
THANK YOU!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I second that. Earlier today, I wrote a very lengthy post, also was copying and pasting from a different page, and lost EVERYTHING twice! The third time, I wrote it in microsoft word and pasted it to ats. This has happend in the past too many times, now I take extra precautions.

What happend though? I highlighted a sentence to remove it, and my whole post was gone! Sometimes I press enter and everything dissapears.

I get so angry, many times I just didn't bother rewriting the whole thing.

Thanks for posting this issue!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I also wondered what the hell kept going on, i always click on open space after highlighting some text. to undo the highlight.

its pissing me off.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jinx880101
What happend though? I highlighted a sentence to remove it, and my whole post was gone! Sometimes I press enter and everything dissapears.

That happens to me too sometimes. I try to highlight something, highlight too much, then my quick fingers delete everything. Try this. When that happens again, right click. You should see an 'undo' option. That will restore your text if you accidentally delete your progress yourself.

I also found previewing your post frequently helps. In case you do something silly like navigate away, you can use the 'back' button and it will take you to your last preview. Without the preview, it will just take you to the blank form.

At least the above is all true in Fire Fox. Transferring everything from MS Word or something similar is the fool-proof way but sometimes it's a pain to do that. lol

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

i find when making an epic post, i make a new wordpad doc. and copy what i write to there and save it, every paragraph or so. just incase it dissapears.

then i can copy and past the whole thing through online spellchecker, then onto ats. and formatt it.

using a wordpad, uses less ram and is quicker.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

I do that too

If it's a massive thread or something I'm working on or a debate post, I'll type each section in the ATS text box that way it will automatically do the BB code for me. Then save it in segments to my Gmail drafts until it's finished.

You can't ever bee too careful. But I get lazy on my posts and end up losing thing sometimes unless I have previewed it in sections.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Originally posted by jinx880101

That happens to me too sometimes. I try to highlight something, highlight too much, then my quick fingers delete everything. Try this. When that happens again, right click. You should see an 'undo' option. That will restore your text if you accidentally delete your progress yourself.

I also found previewing your post frequently helps. In case you do something silly like navigate away, you can use the 'back' button and it will take you to your last preview. Without the preview, it will just take you to the blank form.

At least the above is all true in Fire Fox. Transferring everything from MS Word or something similar is the fool-proof way but sometimes it's a pain to do that. lol

We all know how to defeat it using annoying methods. But can we just get some site admins to weigh in how the benefits of having such hotspots outweighs the numerous problems relating to them.

It happens to everyone at one point or another. Yet we haven't seen one person show up to tell us how wonderful it is that they no longer have to move their mouse 100 pixels to the logo, and can rather click the sides.

But... not if you scroll down, the sides are not links then. Only at the top, when the logo is visible. Talk about redundancy.

I think this topic is interesting cause it highlights an issue with humanity in general. We have a working system, we add a new feature that is supposed to improve it. In just a short time, we forget what it was like to not deal with this new additional annoyance. The new feature does more harm than good, yet people don't bother to question it. Rather they rationalize, and provide temporary solutions. All while forgetting that simply reverting back to how it was prior, would solve the issue.

Amazing.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by king9072]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

My comment above actually had little to do with your issue. It was in reply to someone who loses their posts due to other means like highlighting and entering.

Sorry I can't give you an official word on your issue but did want to help another member while the opportunity presented itself and I could help them with that one.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

There are home links on the logo of course and down at the bottom of the page. If you are that desperate for an easy link, you can put a button in the browser favorites bar (I presume that's a common browser feature).

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Glad I wasn't the only one frustrated by this. It can be very annoying : /

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
It's got me quite a few times too. I'm joining the petition. Flag for you

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Since I tend to go along with everyone rather than presenting an opposing view, I will also go along with the get rid of the sidebar clicks. Nothing is worse than when you put something that you are proud of in writing and then watch it dissapear due to some unexpected user error. Hasn't happened to me yet, but the one time I write something worth posting I know that that it will ultimately be eaten by the sidebar link..

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

I will also show a hand for using at least a text editor to prepare a post, especially if it requires alot of effort to create. Learn the BB code and you can just type it in manually in Notepad or something like it.

Those links can be too easily activated by accident. It's annoying when reading and hitting it when all you want to do is scroll or refocus a window.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by AshleyD

i find when making an epic post, i make a new wordpad doc. and copy what i write to there and save it, every paragraph or so. just incase it dissapears.

then i can copy and past the whole thing through online spellchecker, then onto ats. and formatt it.

using a wordpad, uses less ram and is quicker.

I actually make it a habit to select my post and copy it when I get to the point to make spelling corrections etc.. This is when I find that I make the mistakes and loose everything by clicking somewhere.

But yeah, the sidebar thing has made me grit my teeth a few times.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Yep - when I ever make epic contributions to ATS... and there fore society as a whole I would type it in wordpad, or quite often I have word open as well (spell / grammar check
Hey where'd Clippy go?).

Now all I need is some way to contribute rather than take take take - maybe one day.....

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
stop using internet explorer

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
i am having this problem as well. i use the space for re-focusing the browser window. i have yet been unsuccessful in retraining my browsing habits....and unwittingly end up back on the home page. what could possibly be the purpose for this?

annoying.

I do the same thing, if i'm refocusing back to the browser i tend to click off to the side somewhere so I don't inadvertently click on some link or ad that might otherwise take me away from the page AND THATS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
This annoyed me so much I also made a thread about it never got much response to it though I lost probably the biggest post I'd ever made to this feature and yeah I didn't bother again.

I tend to be doing several things at once when I'm on the pc and this keeps catching me it's just how I browse and always has been I'm aways refocusing the browser to scroll.

Sometime I swear it changes to home without me even have clicked it though although I guess I must have.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Add me to the list. Really annoying.

Death to the links on the sidebars!

new topics