It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tamil Exiles to Form 'Government'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
From bbc.com:
news.bbc.co.uk...

"Exiled political activists of Sri Lanka's Tamil Tiger rebels say they will form an international government to pursue their political demands.

They plan to hold elections across the Tamil diaspora within six months to form an international government.

In a statement the activists claim this government would campaign for a homeland based on self-determination.

It is the first major statement from the rebel group since the capture of their leader, Selvarasa Pathmanathan.

As before, they say they will set up what they call a Transnational Government of Tamil Eelam, based across the countries where there are diaspora communities.

But they now also say they are planning elections to that government by next April, with a full electoral commission and country committees drawing up voter registers.

They are highly critical of the situation inside Sri Lanka, saying they seek to end what they call the Sri Lankan government's "acts of revenge" on Tamils and its "plundering of the resources of [their] homeland".

Their rhetoric is strong - they refer to the government's "Sinhala-Buddhist genocidal forces".

But they have repeated that their new approach will be political, not violent. "

I wonder if, if they do actually form a government, will they still be considered a terrorist organization?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
From bbc.com:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Their rhetoric is strong - they refer to the government's "Sinhala-Buddhist genocidal forces".

Wow, I feel like I have heard this somewhere before but I cant place my finger on it. You know some say the h1n1 vaccine could be cocidered a genocidal force.
Just saying..

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by liveandletlive

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
From bbc.com:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Wow, I feel like I have heard this somewhere before but I cant place my finger on it. You know some say the h1n1 vaccine could be cocidered a genocidal force.
Just saying..

You do realize you quoted the source as stating this, right?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Well you know what they say, live and let live. I understand one line is against the TOS. Heard it from someone on here. He doesnt understand me either.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
What was the point of this thread? Which part is the source and which part is you? I think I missed something!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I think you obviously did. Apprently, since I proved you wrong in one thread, you then went back to my profile and picked out another one of my threads to try and tear apart. unfortunately you fail again.

The point of this thread was to point out news from across the world. To be informed.

Its a thread from roughly 3 weeks ago.

Why exactly did you feel the need to go off topic here?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

What was the point of this thread? Which part is the source and which part is you? I think I missed something!

Well Jesus Thundering F**k! The madness continues. Sometimes you just have to admit that you lost, and rebuild around the new reality. Seems the Germans and Japanese figured this out. They appear to have done ok.

This Tamil nonsense is well past the point of calling for personal accountability...ie a well placed bullet or two.

The people have suffered enough.

[edit on 22-9-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This sounds somewhat similar to the approach of Sinn Fein in Ireland. You have the underground army and you have the political party. A carrot and stick approach is followed. Except that Sinn Fein operated above ground in Ireland.

They didn't need an exile government. Maybe this new group will have people in the political process within Sri Lanka.

It's a difficult situation. You could make an analogy with the situation of the Mexicans in the United States. Suppose they decided to declare independance in part of California and Arizona and also suppose that the US had a population of 20 million or so with Mexico, next door having a population of 100 million.

Americans would be nervous and do something about the situation. The Sinhalese were nervous and did something about the situation.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

reply to post by captaintyinknots

It seemed lonely. No one had responded to it.

I looked at your other threads to see if I could better understand your point. See what you thought about other subjects. Your so busy "schooling" everyone you didnt even notice who I was at first. Maybe thats your problem... You seem to think your opinion is the only one. Teachers have to earn a students respect. Maybe you forgot that.

Look, since I responded, so have others. Maybe I did you a favor. Guess it depends on your point of view!

Again, nice troll bait. Expect to be reported.

You were looking for nothing other than bait. And you completely missed. I dont post NEWS to get people to respond. I post it because an informed populace is the ultimate weapon. I couldn't care less if people respond(no offense to those that do-but it is neither my motive or intention), as long as one person reads it and thinks. Guess what...I succeeded!

The only person I have "schooled" on here is you, and it was probably my bad, as I look back now and realize you were doing nothing but baiting the whole time-and I make it a point not to feed trolls.

You know nothing about me or what/who/how I teach. As i said before, I choose NOT TO TEACH YOU-therefore, once again, I couldn't care less about earning your respect. Did you consider that point of view?

Now enough of your silly games. Back to your homework.

As for those that actually want to talk about the subject at hand-I really think the most intriguing part of this will be to watch and see how the international community responds IF the Tigers are able to gain "government" status.

Think about it-is there any other government out there that is so roundly considered a terrorist organization as the Tamil Tigers are?

Not many, that's for sure.

edit for spelling

[edit on 22-9-2009 by captaintyinknots]

top topics

join