It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocker! Senate Overwhelmingly APPROVES De-Funding ACORN

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

The House of Representatives passed a similar spending bill without restrictions on ACORN. The House and Senate must resolved differences before a final measure can be sent to Obama to sign into law...

Resolved? Freudian slip?

The key in that quote is that the President must sign it into law... No need for ACORN or any of its other names to worry. It stops at the President's desk.

Where is that damned line item veto when you need it anyway?

It should be interesting, because in a way this will force the president to choose to side with ACORN, or he could abandon them to save his political life.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Genfinity

I checked Thomas for the vote count, but it hasn't been updated with today's activities yet..

Anyone else know where to look for a breakdown of the Senate vote on this ammendment?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genfinity
Just out of curiosity, who were the 7 that wanted to continue to fund ACORN?

From Michelle Malkin's site:

Against the amendment blocking ACORN

Burris (D-IL)
Casey (D-PA)
Durbin (D-IL)
Gillibrand (D-NY)
Leahy (D-VT)
Sanders (I-VT)
Whitehouse (D-RI)

9 not voting…

Burr (R-NC)
Byrd (D-WV)
Coburn (R-OK)
Graham (R-SC)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hutchison (R-TX)
McCain (R-AZ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Vitter (R-LA)

And a link to the Full Roll call vote:

senate.gov...

[edit on 14-9-2009 by RoofMonkey]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
found it

**edit to add: not as fast as Roof Monkey

www.senate.gov...

Vote Counts: YEAs 83
NAYs 7
Not Voting 9

You can see who at the link

[edit on 9/14/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

"Durbin (D-IL), Nay " and "Burris (D-IL)"

i just love illinois' politics

[edit on 14-9-2009 by ddacunha]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
It would be incredibly ignorant of all their hard work to slip up and not punish them.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

**edit to add: not as fast as Roof Monkey

Eh... sometimes I'm on my game.

Senate Amendment 2355 amends House Resolution 3288.

H.R. 3288 header info:

H.R.3288
Title: Making appropriations for the Departments of Transportation, and Housing and Urban Development, and related agencies for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2010, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Olver, John W. [MA-1] (introduced 7/22/2009) Cosponsors (None)
Related Bills: H.RES.669
Latest Major Action: 9/11/2009 Senate floor actions. Status: Considered by Senate.
House Reports: 111-218; Senate Reports: 111-69

The Senate wording that is appropriate to this thread (cursory examination)

SA 2355. Mr. JOHANNS submitted an amendment intended to be proposed by him to the bill H.R. 3288, making appropriations for the Departments of Transportation, and Housing and Urban Development, and related agencies for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2010, and for other purposes; which was ordered to lie on the table; as follows:

After section 414, insert the following:

Sec. 4__. None of the funds made available under this Act may be directly or indirectly distributed to the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN).

[edit on 14-9-2009 by RoofMonkey]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
A young couple took a chance at finding the Truth.

The Light shun forth and burned through the shadows of ignorance.

May the Sun rise again.

In the 'real' world E always wins.

It's E-verywhere is it Not?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
What is funny about all of this is watching frightened democrats attempting to distance themselves from the corrupt organization currently known as ACORN when most if not all have deep ties to ACORN.

They are bailing out of a sinking ship, and now want to be on the right side of history.

Pathetic, predictable, funny nonetheless.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

And we all know what bails out of sinking ships first, right?

Ah, they're all rats, both sides haha.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Well it means that the price of freedom is that we have to be vigilant. ACORN is finding out that if you are that corrupt, then the outcry from the public will be great. I think the last thing the President or any politians are going to want right now is to further agitate the voting population right now, cause if they do not follow the people for what they are wanting, there is a good chance that in a year when elections are held there is going to be a change in the congress and DC fully and completely. People are agitated and the blantant corruption of ACORN and other groups right now, for the amount of money they are getting is something that is enough to get the voting public to stand up and start taking action. I think this is the just the begining of the public outcry to DC, question is the federal government going to listen or alienate the populace.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

So let me get this straight obama was a community organizer and was part of

Acorn. Squirrels hide acorns was obama hiding Acorn? ^Y^

[edit on 14-9-2009 by amari]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Here's some more from the local New Orleans media on the news.

Senate votes to bar funds for ACORN; scandals erode political support

...Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., was among the first Democrats to vote in favor of Johann's effort in what became an avalanche of support for the measure.

"Although I believe that the vast majority of ACORN's work is both lawful and worthy, this latest video is deeply disturbing, " Landrieu said. "It is also concerning that it comes on the heels of several other allegations. Congress simply must investigate this alleged infraction, over which four employees have been fired, before allowing funds to continue. Given the increasing demands on our federal treasury, it is Congress' responsibility to ensure every American tax dollar is spent wisely."

The seven senators voting "no" were Democratic Sens. Dick Durbin and Roland Burris of Illinois, Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, Robert Casey of Pennsylvania, Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island, Patrick Leahy of Vermont and Independent Bernie Sanders of Vermont...

I believe that New Orleans is the home of ACORN HQ.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Roofmonkey beat me to it. I gotta agree, just a shell game. Acorn was just a sacrifice to distract the people. What is obama doing/about to do while this plays out? Also agree, the tired ole "race" card'll be played further distracting us. Gonna be interesting.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I think Congress HAS to listen when they are confronted very directly in a powerful way.
I do think there are very good people in congress - esp. the house.

I mean, they rush to want to censor the guy that said YOU LIE but only because he did it IN THEIR FACE in front of the media.

That's what has to happen I guess.

In their face and larger than life.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Where are all the ACORN workers that have been on here lately?

Where are all the extreme left Libs to defend ACORN?

What? No good statements to defend the Obamanation?

Wow, sucks to get caught............some real sick people.......

As has been pointed out, this is only the beggining with these people.

They get funds from 100's of different programs that we pay for.

Something needs to be passed to cut them off from everything.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This is going to be one heck of a wild ride. Keep your eyes peeled folks, this could play out in a way no one has yet to mention. I think we will be shocked by the out come. Well, as shocked as we can be when it comes to the government stooping to new lows.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ddacunha

Tell me about it. I live in Chicago, a city known for corruption. Lets not even mention the state. I am someone who leans more to the Republican side, surrounded by a majority of Obama supporters who still haven't realized that he is just another tool. Funny thing that someone mentioned 1.3 million dollars donation from the teachers union, because the majority of my teachers supported Obama.

I can't believe that so many people fell for this. I wonder to myself how many people are aware that there are shadows behind the scenes, then I wonder how much of them ignore it and just live happy ignorant lives. It's a shame that the independent parties, or just the ones not funded by major corporations will never actually win an election.

This forces people to choose between Democrat or Republican, and at this point, that means Blue Vs. Red fight to the death.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
This is going to be one heck of a wild ride. Keep your eyes peeled folks, this could play out in a way no one has yet to mention. I think we will be shocked by the out come. Well, as shocked as we can be when it comes to the government stooping to new lows.

If Obama does not come to their defense, it could get really fugly.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ddacunha
reply to post by JacKatMtn

"Durbin (D-IL), Nay " and "Burris (D-IL)"

i just love illinois' politics

[edit on 14-9-2009 by ddacunha]

I know, what a joke, Burris especially.

Just makes me wanna

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>