It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocker! Senate Overwhelmingly APPROVES De-Funding ACORN

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Can this be True????

Just popped up on a news search.. this is a blog reporting about another blog so we will have to wait and see but this would be welcome news in light of the recent news on ACORN..

spectator.org

I'm in shock -- but in a good way.

Maybe the message that ACORN is a corrupt criminal organization is finally getting through to lawmakers on Capitol Hill.

I write that because Michelle Malkin is reporting that on a vote of 83 to 7 the U.S. Senate passed an amendment banning federal housing funds in the pending transportation and housing appropriations legislation from going to ACORN.

Is Congress starting to listen? or is this just a false alarm?

Waiting patiently....

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
It is true!!

Senate votes to deny funds to ACORN

WASHINGTON — The Senate voted Monday to block the Housing and Urban Development Department from giving grants to ACORN, a community organization under fire in several voter-registration fraud cases.

The 83-7 vote would deny housing and community grant funding to ACORN, which stands for the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now.

The action came as the group is suffering from bad publicity after a duo of conservative activists posing as a prostitute and her pimp released hidden-camera videos in which ACORN employees in Baltimore gave advice on house-buying and how to account on tax forms for the woman's income. Two other videos, aired frequently on media outlets such as the Fox News Channel, depict similar situations in ACORN offices in Brooklyn and Washington, D.C.

How will the House respond?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Wow, this is not going to make the President happy.

Prepare for allegations of a racist conspiracy to demonize ACORN, and the President.

Enjoy the ride.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I am not usually one to get all upset at the latest 'liberal outrage' Rush or 'culture warrior' O'reilly are upset about but this is disgusting.

I couldn't believe it when I learned it was a tax payer funded organization!

[edit on 14-9-2009 by muggl3z]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Just keep in mind this has only passed the Senate.. it still has to go through the House..

The vote count 83 - 7 shows that this is non partisan...

However, this is only the beginning, this only deals with the ACORN housing.. it is not all inclusive..

We still need a Congressional investigation into the entire organization and all it's affiliates.

Don't be satisfied with this. I am surprised that this happened so quickly but this doesn't mean it's over...

..by a long shot..

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The sum of money from the stimulus bill that was going to ACORN was shocking... I am surprised it took this long, and for a public scandal to prompt this action.

A look back in time....

www.newsmax.com...

Bah, it's only money, we can always print more.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
This makes me soo happy! I posted a thread earlier about ACORN asking for 6 million. Guess the asnwer was NO!!!

-E-

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Half of America (and the world) saw ACORN in action in those videos.

There just wasn't a rug available big enough to sweep it under. No possible way could they attempt damage control and block any chance of an investigation this time, not that it won't happen.
It seems, at this point, it's every man for himself, and I'm delighted beyond words that the corruption rampant in this, so called, organization is being exposed.

S&F... good on them.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Well..unless ALL money is stopped from going to ACORN/SEIU/and other names UNDER ACORN, they will just keep profiting..
How about this shocker:
Our Teachers Unions have contributed over 1.3 Million to ACORN since 2005!

Teachers unions have contributed over $1.3 million to ACORN and its affiliates, since 2005, according to U.S. Labor Department financial disclosure forms.

www.washingtonexaminer.com...
That should be stopped too, asap!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Just to add, friday, I contacted the Census about them dropping ACORN. This was their reply.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FRIDAY, SEPT. 11, 2009

Stephen Buckner CB09-RTQ.02
Public Information Office
301-763-3691
e-mail:

RESPONSE TO QUERY

Census Bureau Statement on Severing Partnership with ACORN

In response to recent developments, the U.S. Census Bureau has decided to sever its 2010 Census national partnership with ACORN.

Although the national partnership with ACORN was limited to just promoting awareness of the upcoming Census among ACORN’s members and the communities they serve, the Census Bureau judged that concern with the general public about ACORN had become a distraction from the goal of getting a complete count for 2010. Census officials pointed to events this week with three local ACORN offices that might even discourage cooperation with the Census next year if the partnership agreement were not ended.

At no point was ACORN or any other partner to be involved in the 2010 Census operations and door-to-door collection activities next spring. Sworn Census Bureau employees conduct the census.

With more than 80,000 partners working nationwide to increase awareness about the importance of participating in the 2010 Census, the Bureau is convinced that many of these partners serve the communities that ACORN serves. The full participation of those populations remains of utmost importance to us.

The Census Bureau has a goal to partner with more than 100,000 local and national groups to help promote awareness of the 2010 Census next year. It is the largest operation conducted domestically by the federal government, and the Census Bureau uses national, state, local and tribal partners to help carry the message to their communities that the census is easy, important and safe. These partners receive no funds for their volunteer efforts, and are not involved in any operation to conduct the 2010 Census.

Looks like ACORN may need work soon.

Know any good community organizers who can help?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I'm so happy that something is being done! Hopefully their multitude of other "branches" are included in this. It would be nice to get an investigation into where their funds prior to this were going!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Pssst.....

It's a shell game.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1ad6a55fae8c.jpg[/atsimg]

21 June 2009:

Association of Community Organizers for Reform Now (ACORN) leaders are using the threat of a law suit to silence and intimidate critics, according to current and former members of the liberal activist group.

In a letter dated June 11 an attorney for ACORN advised top whistleblowers that their unauthorized use of the organization’s name could make them liable for monetary damages and injunctive relief.

ACORN executives have also changed their organization’s name, which was tarnished by investigations in at least 14 states of allegations of voter registration fraud during the 2008 presidential campaign, and charges by current and former members of financial mismanagement and misrepresentation.

The new name will let ACORN leaders continue their operations without worrying about prior bad publicity, according to Marcel Reid of ACORN 8, a group of present and former members.

“We’ve known for many months now that the name ACORN is going to be retired,” Reid said. “The name has been so damaged to the point where the leadership knows it simply can’t go on as it has with the ACORN label out front and center, especially after all of the reporting.”
In fact, the process has already begun, she noted. Wade Rathke, who founded the organization, announced on his blog that ACORN International has officially changed its name to “Community Organizations International.”

Reid also said ACORN is in the process of dismantling Citizen’s Consulting Inc. (CCI), a New-Orleans based non-profit, which has been used to maintain centralized financial control, ACORN 8 activists claim. Tax records show that CCI is interlinked with several ACORN affiliates.

www.washingtonexaminer.com...

[edit on 14-9-2009 by RoofMonkey]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

ust keep in mind this has only passed the Senate.. it still has to go through the House..

If I remember the order correctly it is house then senate then the president must sign. He has three choices, sign, veto or ignore (the pocket veto) it then goes back and need a 2/3 vote to over ride the veto

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I visited Wade Rathke's website
chieforganizer.org...

Here are the organizations he runs/works with.

Community Organizations International
* Local 100
* SEIU
* Site Fighters
* Tides
* Organizers’ Forum
* Social Policy
* WARN
* ACORN

I guess if one goes under, he can get federal money from somewhere else. . .

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

The Senate and the House deal is vice versa... House passes bill it goes to Senate..

Senate passes one of their pieces of legislation.. it goes to the House..

Then to the President..

Somehow I don't see the House being in any hurry to address this matter..

I hope they shock me as the Senate did.

@ RoofMonkey...

good info, much like Blackwater changing their name to XE, I am not surprised that Acorn has chosen the same route. Have to add those new names to the list and keep digging until this whole organization has been hauled before Congress ..

One thing Congress is good for is once one of their pet organizations has finally been exposed, it doesn't take long for them all to jump on the bus that runs that organization over.

Remember elections are coming in 2010.... alot of them will have this on their minds.

[edit on 9/14/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
How much more of this bad publicity can Obama take and keep smiling?
Jesus H. Christ.
He ran with these clowns! He was ONE OF THEM!
Disgusting.
And now they are just throwing one acronym under the bus (ACORN) and resurrecting it under another (COI).

People won't be any wiser, because this "victory" will allow folks to pat themselves on the back and they'll forget that no justice falls to the men behind the organization. Only the organization's NAME suffers. The people behind the curtain just move on to another corrupt venture.

Nothing changes.
Obama's plans don't change.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
More info in this reuters piece...

U.S Senate denies funds for poverty group

...The Senate measure, which passed 83 to 7 in the Democratic-led chamber, was included in a must-pass spending bill that funds housing and transportation programs for the fiscal year that starts October 1...

...ACORN said the Senate's action was disappointing but would have little impact on its overall operations.

"The only real victims of today's vote are the families who have benefited from ACORN's important work," ACORN chief Bertha Lewis said in a statement posted on the group's website.

The House of Representatives passed a similar spending bill without restrictions on ACORN. The House and Senate must resolved differences before a final measure can be sent to Obama to sign into law...

That sheds some light on the situation..

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity, who were the 7 that wanted to continue to fund ACORN?

And is it to late to have them help me get a house? If that tall string bean of a guy can pull it off as a pimp, I know I can to!

Who wants to be my prostitute? You can be Lu Lu from Hawaii. Since ACRON didn't get the joke when the prostitute pretended to be "Kenya," I doubt they will be smart enough to see my "Lu Lu from Hawaii" connection either.

We won't use kids though. We'll use senior citizens to satisfy a certain demand inside a niche market (ew).

"How many licks does it take before you reach the tootsie roll?"

Somebody involved in this is going to turn up dead. Watch.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Sounds like they are gearing up for the election year.

If this story is true, there is a political agenda behind it. Pelosi and fellow Democrats want to be re-elected. Once they win their seats back, ACORN will be refunded for the loss.

Its a political move to win votes. Don't be fooled.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by Pathos]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I just heard on the news that there is going to be another video tomorrow and in their words it is going to be "devastating."

*Prepares popcorn*

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join