It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama worsens China-U.S. Trade situation; Give it a Name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
We all (on ATS) know that the China-U.S. trade situation is bleak. China is one of the United States' largest investors in bonds, etc. Coming up on the Fiscal Year End, 30Sep09, the U.S. could be in REALLY bad shape.

SO what does Obama and the MSM [Main Stream Media] do? Give it a name and use the ol' bait n switch!

Stock futures lower on fear of U.S-China trade spat
www.reuters.com...

Obama decided to "impose special duties" on some of China's car tires. Why would the President be involved in this? Oh yeah, part of the agenda.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I thought this was a very interesting story NRA. (hope the abbreviation is not offensive) but for a different angle.

When it comes to tariffs on the car tires, Obama gave in to pressure from a UNION. The United Steelworkers, I believe, that are somehow connected to tires?
Whatever. THIRTY FIVE PERCENT!

Ok, yeah...United Steelworkers.

Sept. 11 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama imposed tariffs starting at 35 percent on $1.8 billion of tire imports from China, backing a United Steelworkers union complaint against the second-largest U.S. trading partner.

Source at Bloomberg

It turns out that the guys in the US that manufacture tires, didn't even WANT the tariffs.

All of the U.S. tire makers have operations in China, according to the ITC, and none of them publicly supported the steelworkers complaint. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., the largest U.S. tiremaker, stayed neutral.

Obama is taking some bad advice from somebody. The rumor is that he's somehow compensating the unions for assisting him in his election.

Smells crooked to me.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
When it comes to tariffs on the car tires, Obama gave in to pressure from a UNION. The United Steelworkers, I believe, that are somehow connected to tires?
Whatever. THIRTY FIVE PERCENT!
It turns out that the guys in the US that manufacture tires, didn't even WANT the tariffs.

While the manufacturers may not like it...they are the ones that moved the labour overseas. Their profits are fine...if you owns stock. But it's the American workers who got screwed for their jobs when they went off-shore.

Chinese labour vs American labour costs are just not comparable...and surely not because Americans are overpaid. Even Mexico is complaining that the jobs that went to them...what?...$2/hr?...are now considered too expensive and are going to Asia.

Americans don't pay what the Chinese do for a loaf of bread....why should the wages be comparable. Kudos to anybody sticking up for the North American worker.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Call it the "Chine-Bomb-A".

This is to provoke China and draw the lines in the sand clearly. Define a new enemy / competitor. I see what they are doing. And I see what the distraction today is already.

The whole Kanye/Taylor/Beyonce thing is set to trigger racial tension in the public mind. How many front pages is it on today? It shouldn't be on any. But it's this year's britney/madonna kiss, this years wardrobe malfunction.

Chine-Bomb-A it is.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

So in an already disastrous time for America, Obama decides to hurt our companies which have already shipped the jobs offshore! The "steeling" continues

I am really curious what's going to happen in America, at fiscal year end, when we are 200 billion in debt and our only option is to print money! Stay tuned - 30Sep09 is just around the corner.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by notreallyalive
reply to post by KSPigpen

So in an already disastrous time for America, Obama decides to hurt our companies which have already shipped the jobs offshore! The "steeling" continues

So...not a good thing to have American workers paying taxes and American communities being well-served by local industry? Getting out of the economic rut by rebuilding the national economy?

Better to have cheap tires that your unemployed workers still can't afford?

Fight foreign dumping...even Republicans gotta get behind that, right?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by notreallyalive

Why? because we in America are nothing than the milking cows to the Chinese economy, we are losing our nations, jobs, we have a increasing trade deficit and we have an economic mess.

China is not about some tires, this means killing the American tires once and for all for Chinese crap.

Why the president is getting into this, very simple is our own government the one that created the trade policies that are now bitting every American in the arses that is why.

new topics

top topics

join