It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nantahala Serpent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Does anyone know or has anyone heard of a serpent that carved a river with its body? When I was younger I heard a legend about a Native American serpent god in NC that supposedly carved the Nantahala River in NC and lives at the bottom of the lake deep underground.

Does anyone have any info on this or any related or similar stories/legends around the world?

Thanks
~Ghost~

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Australian Rainbow serpent. Aboriginal dreamtime is full of animals making stuff - oldest human culture on earth (by about 5 times over). Almost 100,000 years old.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostryder21

Just curious are you native?
If not let me let you in on a little secret. The term Western Culture is a label to help exterminate our native history, culture, and beliefs. It is a term to further hide the truth of not only our past/present knowledge of certain earth secrets past down from generation to generation but to diminish the beliefs of indiginous people througout the world. Mythology is another brainwashing term that is used to dismiss the truth about the secrets that tribes all around the world still hold true.
I say this to everyone on ATS no matter what your heritage is, learn the old customs of your people, learn the so called legends or folklore because when you've lost touch with who your people really are, you become prey to those who use the term Western Culture.
I'm not mad that our land was stolen once but I'll be damned if the so called globalist elite think they can do it again. The American government has been trying for years to abolish our rights to maintain our customs, but more importantly they try to hide away their failed genocide attempts because what can I say, we have been fighting terrorists since 1492.

Mod Edit: Please try and stay focused on the topic, i.e. Nantahala Serpent.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
[SNIP]

The Nantahala river is beautiful shot the rapids there a few years ago. I do recall hearing this story but am lost on the details.

Mod Edit: Removed off-topic snipe.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
There's another one here from Western NC that is pretty interesting about Judaculla who was a giant with red hair and double rows of teeth that ate people. Some speculate this was one of the antedeluvian nephilim.
There's a fascinating artifact in the area that shares the name...
images.google.com...
According to the Cherokee legends, that rock was there when they arrived some 10 thousand years prior.
If you can ignore the tee shirt and rafting shops, Nantahala is probably one of the most beautiful places on earth though, I've spent alot of time there.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
There are many creation myths that feature serpents.

en.wikipedia.org...

...In some cultures snakes were fertility symbols, for example the Hopi people of North America performed an annual snake dance to celebrate the union of Snake Youth (a Sky spirit) and Snake Girl (an Underworld spirit) and to renew fertility of Nature. During the dance, live snakes were handled and at the end of the dance the snakes were released into the fields to guarantee good crops.

...The circle was particularly important to Dahomeyan myth where the snake-god Danh circled the world like a belt, corsetting it and preventing it from flying apart in splinters. In ancient Egypt, the snake biting its tail symbolised the sea as the eternal ring which enclosed the world.

You know what? I can't paste the entire Wiki article but it's all relevant and interesting. I'd go check it out.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by chaoticwolf88

(I will return to topic) I understand your grievances wholeheartedly. The mindset towards native Americans has changed drastically in the last century more in the way of tolerance. Personally if it was my choice, we would have stayed in Europe and let you have the US all to yourself. (save for a couple colonies. Sorry but I love to bass fish!) I hope you can keep your culture forever it really has a special place in the world!

==================================

On topic, OP can you post any information about said serpent. I am having trouble finding any real information re: this. Thanks!

[edit on 1-9-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I have never heard of either one of these and have lived here for the better part of 30 years. I'll have to ask the other half about the serpent as he spent all his summers growing up out on Fontana and in that area. Bass fishes out there quite a bit as well too.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I'll do another quick search. You know it's bad when a search for "Nantahala" pops up with this thread as the first result.

Of course.

Let's see...

The Cherokee called the Nantahala the "Land of the Noonday Sun" because the walls on either side of the River towered so tall that the direct light of the sun could only shine into the Gorge during the middle part of the day when it reached its highest point in the sky. James Mooney, an early ethnologist who lived among the Cherokee at the turn of the century, recorded in his "Myths of the Cherokee" that the name Nantahala is a mispronunciation of the Cherokee word "Nun-daye-li" meaning "middle sun". The Nantahala Gorge was an established trail of the earliest Cherokee when they traveled back & forth between their villages from the Valley areas of Andrews to the Middle Towns along the Tuckaseegee and Little Tennessee Rivers. The Cherokee considered the Nantahala Gorge a spiritual place. Their legends told of of Uktena, the giant horned serpent, and the mischievous "little people" who lived in the Gorge.

www.nantahalaphotos.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1670dcd0860b.jpg[/atsimg]
/ltu3au

There's some.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I thought the same thing

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
thanks to all who replied. i found the information also, by cross refrencing all your info and tracking down some other leads. here is the results:

Uw'tsun'ta

this site also lists alot of other legends if anyone else is intrestead in it.

wolf88- i do agree with your point, i am also under the belif that all the earth's history is being ereased. we must preserve/protect it as much as we can.

no i am not native american, but i am from another native indian race.

Raven and Twitchy- thank you for the articles i have some reading to do now

DaMod and opal13- thank you for your contribution, if you want to read up on the legend follow the link.

thaknks all!

~Ghost

[edit on 1-9-2009 by ghostryder21]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostryder21

You are very welcome. Let us know if you find out anything cool/have any more questions.

top topics

join