It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

District 9 New Peter Jackson UFO Film!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
Stupid, racist movie.

A parody of everything wrong with the human species.

Don't waste your money.

Yuk

i see social commentary is beyond you.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Mockumentaries are hard to pull off and this film was no exception.

I thought it was lame.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

I wonder why no one ever responds to my reviews?

this wasn't a mockumentary, mockumentaries are comedies. an example of a mockumentary is This Is Spinal Tap.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'm not a fan of the jiggly cam style of filming ie; Cloverfiled, Quarentine and now this.

It is quite annoying.

I wanted to punch the main actors face in for his annoying accent and personality.

It wasn't clear why the black spaceship fuel infected him and turned him into an alien.

I thought the "prawns" where very unbelievable CGI. Are we to believe that reptilians have emotions?

3/10 stars

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by JScytale

Originally posted by whaaa
Mockumentaries are hard to pull off and this film was no exception.

I thought it was lame.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

I wonder why no one ever responds to my reviews?

this wasn't a mockumentary, mockumentaries are comedies. an example of a mockumentary is This Is Spinal Tap.

Not always.....

Film appreciation 101 for you.....

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I had expected something different or more scifi typical than what it turned out to be. Besides that, the movie seems to insult our intelligence in some ways, just like many others have. The weapons they traded for food and didn't use them, just didn't seem right to me. If they were smart enough to build these in these camps, than why weren't they smart enough to use them?

Some movies are keepers and worthy of watching again. The next time this one comes out if there is a sequel, I'm more likely waiting for it on TV, if they don't improve it. I did like the idea of a little one and that was a shame that they didn't have more of that. Maybe next time.

Making comparisons to some of our own people, I do wonder if some did feel profiled, especially if there are aliens and or reptilians like this. Also reminds me of the Wraith from Stargate Atlantis.

I wonder if they plan on a made for TV or cable series afterall?

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It was beautifully done. I was so impressed with the movie when I saw it. I cannot wait to see it again. I love the messege behind it! I hope there is a D10

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is one of my top ten movies now..it was absolutely brilliantly pulled off.

This was written by a blogger on another site, and I could never have put it so eloquently.

I have to say, I understand why "they" dont show themselves to us. We are the most inhuman species I know of. I have to say..I side with the Aliens..

Despite this being a science fiction film I would say that unless you are looking for an Independence Day "we beat up some aliens to stop the invasion" then this film is not going to be a right fit. Neill Blomkamp is a native to South Africa.
This film is an extension to his short film "Live in Joburg" (search google video). What this film depicts are events that are in fact hardly fictional. The realism in this story hits close to home. There's a reason for this. Neill decided to tell the story of the Apartheid era in South Africa that lasted from 1948 to 1994. That is a whole lot of years of racial segregation. That's a whole lot of years of racial tension.

What is really great about this film is that it is depicting real life events in a science fiction world. In this film we see Johannesburg dealing with the arrival of aliens who for all intents and purposes are peaceful and want to go home. Yet the government and an outside company MNU do not want this to happen.

Because of the species tension of humans and non humans, non humans are segregated into refugee camps that become permanent. The non humans are forced to live in slums. [SPOILER] At the end it is shown that they're then going to be made to live in camps or basically a concentration camp.

This film deals with racism on all levels though it would be more apt to label it as "speciesism." We see "speciesism" through ignorance where people who do not understand the non humans fear what they are and what they might do. We see passive "speciesism" which is apparent in many who might not go out of their way to make their beliefs known but would not mind laughing at derogatory jokes, agree quietly with those against non humans etc.

Then we see aggressive "speciesism" where people are out spoken about their hatred and some relishing in "dealing" with the non human. What was great about this was that we see violence, cause and effect on both sides. Both are equally able to commit crimes, violence, etc yet only one side is villified in the media and in the minds of those against the non humans.

What this film does is show or expose our own belief system that we may not necessarily be aware of, especially if we are a passive "speciest" (or racist).

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
watch it for free

www.novamov.com...#

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Well what do you expect? that is exactly what the movie is all about, at least you are intelligent enough to figure that out by yourself.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I don't know if I missed this part of the movie but in the first trailer they had a scene when the government and the aliens made first contact.

Human: "How do your weapons work?"

Alien "We want to just go home."

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by aleon1018
I had expected something different or more scifi typical than what it turned out to be. Besides that, the movie seems to insult our intelligence in some ways, just like many others have. The weapons they traded for food and didn't use them, just didn't seem right to me. If they were smart enough to build these in these camps, than why weren't they smart enough to use them?

It is quite obvious to anyone who has seen the movie that you have not. The aliens were depicted using their own weapons many times in the movie; there was nothing about them not being intelligent enough to use them. The only people who could not use them were humans.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I really likes this film had me from begining to end .. and i can see it acting out as it did in film as it would in real life .. The guns were not made .. they already had them and out of desperation were selling them to get food .. and also typical to understand something, we have to disect it ... in 3 years they will return
(sequel) .. . ..

also when the little prawn (
) activated the ship and the robot came to life it scanned the room and seen the humans as enemys straight away .. .. also t dosent explain why they was there and how ... guess thats in the sequel ... ... ....

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Hello! Survival of the fittiest species. They seemed to have staged the break down of the ship It sat there playing dead dog for three months. Then when the father alien gets up there it fires up and is able to leave in minutes? If you decide to leave your home it's for wanderlust of adventure, or you are in desperate search of new land or a job. Isn't that why the colonist came here.... Land, religious freedom, democratic government, adventure. What do the aliens want? Entertainment? Land? DNA? Slaves? Resources?
It is our precious home and we had better protect it. Peaceful aliens don't carry guns around.... Most people don't carry guns to the mall, school, church, grocery store, work, pool, vacation, etc... Its also shocking how few people even stand up for themselves with a back bone. If you make it time consuming and difficult for people to bully you they usually stop.
The wife was such a complete push over for her father. She should have tried to help her husband more.... I think this would have made the film more interesting. I know I would poke the devil in the eye for one of my
people.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bananasam
I don't know if I missed this part of the movie but in the first trailer they had a scene when the government and the aliens made first contact.

Human: "How do your weapons work?"

Alien "We want to just go home."

No, it wasn't in the movie but was in the trailer. I think a directors cut DVD may sprinkle these back in and fix some plot holes. Still the movie is one of the best scifi movies made in a LONG time.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Well, gee oh golly, I must have dozed off or was abducted during the movie and had missing time.

Or maybe I repressed it and will play it back later.

Yeah, don't forget to stock up on cat food for 2012.

We now finally have fool disclosure.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I havent see this movie So is this D-9 movie another piss take on Terminator 4 Salvation

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Epsillion70

No it's not and it's very good. As many have said it's well worth watching, I've went to see it twice

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Epsillion70

Not that I could see. It's kinda like Doctor Who and Animal Planet combined.

There's also a strong resemblance to RoboCop in that one scene.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Seen it the other day. Has little to nothing in our worls conceptions of ALiens in anyway.
I thought the big thing was getting past the first hour of it. As the second hour clicked a bit.

All the reviews placing it with Alien, Blade Runner and others -- no.
This is a pit sci-fi space (earth) drama. Gross and discusting without carrying the story till the last forty-five minutes. Katos was the song here.

When the sequel happens, I'm sure Jackson will have learned a lot from his first. Story, Story, Story -- first.
The CGI in and throughout District 9, was second to none. Just could'nt tell real from unreal.

Decoy

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I loved the movie but it was kinda of a rip off of alien nation, and do you think the UN would let south africa have all the prawns no way, The whole world would want them too for there technology and they would'nt have them some kinda sh*t whole place.It would be a top of the line internment camp with top of the line catfood

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join