It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Jesus A Buddhist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
heres an interesting fact to ponder. .

my boyfriend lived in india for a year, and met a lot of people, including religious figures.

he went to a temple in the mountains in india where they have records of a man by the name of jesus (obviously this was back when he would have been alive) who came through with a few people and said he was on a conquest and wanted to learn about the buddhist ways from a buddhist monk.

They have a recordbook of it, dating all the way back to the time jesus was supposedly alive.

if this is true... which i honestly believe it makes a lot of sense... then theres the answers to all your questions. Was he the son of god? No. Did he bring about new views of life and religion to a place that never heard them before? Yes. Therefor, he was seen in a different light.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
No, jesus was an alien

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
haha he definitely could have been an alien. ive always thought it as a possibility

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
there were lots of people called "jesus" back then. its just a coincidence. the people in israel said "is this not the carpenters son?" because he was just a regular carpenter until he received the power of the Spirit on a 40 day fast at the age of 30. Then he revealed that he was God's son.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

I think he was wiccan.

Seriously - it happens I was reading the Gospel of Thomas last night, and I thought, this sounds a lot like the vedas.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
That theory isn't new, it was used in a movie: The Man From Earth. A professor gathers his friends to help him move house and reveals to them that he is in fact fourteen thousand years old. He claims he studied under the Buddha and took his teachings to the Middle East where they were construed and the story of Jesus was born.

Good movie, probably based on these documents.

[edit on 19/8/2009 by Sendran]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
i think he was anything really EXCEPT for what mainstream religion views him as. I dont believe one word of anything ive heard at church, I am sorry. I think things make a lot more sense when you really look into them, and not a bunch of mystical stories of gods and virgins being pregnant and all these crazy things that dont seem to happen nowadays... but we sure do believe it happened back then.

cmon, im not that naive. there are simpler answers to our questions.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sendran
That theory isn't new, it was used in a movie: The Man From Earth. A professor gathers his friends to help him move house and reveals to them that he is in fact fourteen thousand years old. He claims he studied under the Bhudda and took his teachings to the Middle East where they were construed and the story of Jesus was born.

Good movie, probably based on these documents.

definitely couldve been based on those documents. sounds like an interesting movie, might have to check it out

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Its possible, but sounds like there are a lot of missing gaps in your theory.

For instance, Jesus was exceptionally great in whatever he was doing. I mean, people worship him 2000 years after he died. Scholars say he lived around 30 years. And most of his life he lived in the Middle East as it is registered in the accounts that we have. So, he may have visited India to check out other ways, and it doesn't seem like he spent a long time there to actually absorb the Buddhist teachings. I doubt that he just learned buddhism in a few days and started practicing it perfectly just because of what he learned. I'm not a christian, but I believe Jesus was special. Not because he learned to be special, but because he was born to be special. He had his own ways, independent of any other pre-existing ideas and methods. He may have gathered information and glanced at other pre-existing methods just to make him realize how special he was and how he already had everything he needed.

Thats what I think at least.

And maybe the Jesus of India was just another Jesus.
It would be interesting to read references to this Jesus of India and compare it to the Jesus of Christianity.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
i do know that buddhist teachings are quite similar however to the teachings of jesus. No not mainstream religion as we see it today. Jesus' actually teachings and him as a person.

there are a lot of similarities

[edit on 19-8-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
as for the thing about there being many jesus's who it couldve been, my boyfriend may have said they had it recorded as jesus christ now that i think about it

i cant remember im gonna have to ask him again when he gets home.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Perhaps both are teachers of the same category, along with Quetzalcoatl and others.

Taking all this into consideration, the archæologist cannot remain satisfied with the brief remark of certain historians that "in this tradition we trace only another version of the story of the civilization common to all primitive nations, and that imposture of a celestial relationship whereby designing rulers and cunning priests have sought to secure their ascendency among men." No more is it an explanation to say that "Manco Capac is the almost exact counterpart of the Chinese Fohi, the Hindu Buddha, the terrestrial Osiris of Egypt, the Quetzalcoatl of Mexico, and Votan of Central America"; for all this is but too evident. What we want to learn is how came these nations, so antipodal to each other as India, Egypt, and America, to offer such extraordinary points of resemblance, not only in their general religious, political, and social views, but sometimes in the minutest details. The much-needed task is to find out which one of them preceded the other; to explain how these people came to plant at the four corners of the earth nearly identical architecture and arts, unless there was a time when, as assured by Plato and believed in by more than one modern archæologist, no ships were needed for such a transit, as the two worlds formed but one continent.

A Land of Mystery, Theosophist, June, August, 1880. H. P. Blavatsky

The three declared Objects of the Theosophical Society are:

To form a nucleus of the universal brotherhood of humanity, without distinction of race, creed, sex, caste, or color.

To encourage the comparative study of religion, philosophy, and science.

To investigate unexplained laws of nature and the powers latent in humanity.

Introduction - Theosophical Society in America

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Jesus teachings are quite different than the teachings in the rest of the Bible. They are in fact very Buddhist. This could either mean that he was familiar with Buddhism or that all spiritual teachings, no matter the source, are ultimately about the same stuff.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
yeah it always makes me laugh how the teachings of jesus are so very different from religious people you meet today. they do not practice any of his teachings, really.

they judge others who dont believe the same as they do, they dont love their neighbor, they dont practice peace in a meaningful way...

i just dont see how they took something like the bible that couldve been a great tool for the world and turned it into something hideous.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

It was actually Tibet that he travelled to, and was known under the name Saint Isis.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

you are so right calahan.
Christianity has lost its focus on Christ, and perverted his teachings.

but some of us are left, ready to bring back the truth of Christ.

most of christianity will dissapear into sin and disobediesnce as prophesied in the bible and is happening now.

but the remnant that is left will be stronger than ever in their love of Christ and his truth.

christianity isn't budist though, even thoguh a few of the teachings are the same, that is simply because some truths are universaly known.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Spiritfilled]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
could be. if my boyfriend was sitting here telling the story it would probably be much better and make more sense than how i tell it.

but he definitely did say they had it down as jesus christ, not st. isis.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I think that the teachings of Buddha and the teachings of Jesus have their similarities. But in my perspective they are really quite different.

For instance, Buddha never spoke of the "beyond", he never talked about metaphysics although he definitely had the capacity to do so. Whenever people asked about the "beyond" he avoided the question by making them understand that there were more important immediate issues to deal with.

Jesus on the other hand was always speaking of the beyond, of the heavens, of eternal life. Jesus was way more mystical then Buddha in my opinion.

Also, I see Jesus as being more pro-active then Buddha. What I mean by this is that Buddha was secluded and if someone messed with him he would probably just be silent and ignore it, maybe ask what was his problem.

Now Jesus would stand up and mess with his "opponent" by doing the exact opposite of what the "opponent" expected. He was a constant activist for change, while Buddha was more for peace.

I really think that Jesus way and Buddhas way are different although they are built on the same basics.

link   

Was Jesus A Buddhist?

Even better question.

Was Buddha a Jew?

I'm sure there was more than one man living at the time of Jesus Christ named Jesus.

link   

Originally posted by Spiritfilled

you are so right calahan.
Christianity has lost its focus on Christ, and perverted his teachings.

but some of us are left, ready to bring back the truth of Christ.

most of christianity will dissapear into sin and disobediesnce as prophesied in the bible and is happening now.

but the few that are left will be stronger than ever in their love of Christ and his truth.

yes you are right. it doesnt take someone who is a devout christian to know whats right, whats wrong, and how to live a loving and peaceful life.

to be honest, the most loving and interesting and intelligent people i have met in my life have in fact been atheists, buddhists, or hindus.

i dont practice any religion really, i believe what i believe though, and i believe no matter what people should always try and pursue happiness in their life and encourage happiness and peace in the lives of others. if you cant do that... then how can you call yourself a christian?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join