It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bailout of the US Postal Service?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
John Potter the Postmaster General is talking to a senate subcommittee about the USPS's financial problems. It's on C-Spanright now. I've seen this happen before, the bailout of the auto industry began with the CEOs of GM coming in and talking to these panels. It's coming soon!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Anybody else see FedEx lobbying against any USPS bailout proposals?

I'm guessing that one thing that comes out of this, will be that we stop receiving mail on Saturday's.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
They'll get it too probably. If I'm not mistaken the postal workers union is one of the largest government employees unions around. Name one instance where the current administration has looked out for the taxpayer at the expense of any union. I can't name one.

One thing the USPS could do to cut cost is to cut delivery days from 6 down to 3 or 4. Let's face it 90% of what most everyone I know gets in the mail is junk anyway.

Another thing that would probably solve the problems with the USPS is privatization. I know alot of big government types will have a huge issue with that (not gonna happen in the O admin anyway), but UPS and Fed Ex both do almost the same thing as the USPS and are able to maintain profitability.

Anyway thanks for the thread OP. It reminded me that my stash of "Forever Stamps" bought several postage hikes ago is running thin. I need to stock up now because with that info, you know they gonna be going up again.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
YES!!! If theres one part of the Government that I would love to see go away its the postal service!!

I've had this argument many times with people, still haven't heard much of a use for the USPS. All i get is junk mail, it's appalling. There's no good reason for me to have trash delivered to a little box at my building everyday. It's a completely asinine service.

Anything that they can send me in the mail can be sent online, or preferably not at all!

Anyone who supports the mail service simply supports the destruction of natural resources, and the employment of thousands of people, with our tax dollars who need to move on a retrain for another line of work.

I'm hoping they dont get this bailout money, good riddance mail!

And thats the bottom line cuz Liquidsmoke said so...

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I could understand a government-run postal service back when people actually sent letters, and were depending on that as a way of keeping in touch with people.

Like others have said, though, all I ever get is junk mail. It's an obsolete system.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

Possibly. Except that many companies still send paychecks and bills through the mail.

Yes, someone can take it out of your mailbox. But online there are hackers and phishers, too.

Plus... birthday cards?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
YES!!! If theres one part of the Government that I would love to see go away its the postal service!!

I've had this argument many times with people, still haven't heard much of a use for the USPS. All i get is junk mail, it's appalling. There's no good reason for me to have trash delivered to a little box at my building everyday. It's a completely asinine service.

Anything that they can send me in the mail can be sent online, or preferably not at all!

Anyone who supports the mail service simply supports the destruction of natural resources, and the employment of thousands of people, with our tax dollars who need to move on a retrain for another line of work.

I'm hoping they dont get this bailout money, good riddance mail!

And thats the bottom line cuz Liquidsmoke said so...

I second this. Mail should really be a part of the private sector. For the things that can't be sent online (ie, online shopping goods).

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

Well for YOU this may be ok but those that use the USPS for business will not feel this way. I use the postal system weekly to send items or letters that cant be done via email. Also not everyone has internet you know.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The government bailing out a government agency
If they are losing money, then SHUT DOWN!!! With the internet, Fed-Ex, UPS, etc. Who needs the USPS anyway! Their stamps cost too much, and seem to increase in cost every few months...They are outdated and need an OVERHAUL, not a bailout.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It will suck not to be able to use ebay and stuff (I used USPS a ton for that), but I guess sometimes, that's just how the cookie crumbles.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I had forgotten about the people who still get their paychecks by mail. That does complicate things a bit. Especially for people who are worried about hackers.

I'm fairly certain that the UPS and Fed-Ex would be happy to accommodate all of our needs, but I'm NOT convinced that it would become cheaper (which some proponents of privatization have always maintained).

Maybe a good compromise would be to deliver mail, say, Monday, Wednesday, Friday?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I've a nice example of the great practices that have gotten the USPS to where they are today.

I live in a town of about 6,000 people. Almost everyone knows everyone else by face and many by name.

We had two slots in our tiny post office. One for outgoing mail and one for local mail.

A couple of months ago the local mail slot got taped up. I asked the worker behind the counter what the deal was.

Apparently the USPS put some new fancy expensive as hell sorting/filing machine thing in the big post office in Manchester. Since Most towns in NH are tiny and there really isnt any 'city' North of Concord the big fancy machine wasnt getting used.

To get us to use it the USPS decreed there would be no more 'local' handling of 'local' mail.

Now if I want to send a letter to a buddy at the end of the street the letter has to travel 60 miles South, get sorted in this ridiculous machine and travel back North 60 miles for delivery.

All of government operates this way. They all deserve bankruptcy and failure. Beyond that they could stand a few lashes from a wet whip.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by theWCH
Maybe a good compromise would be to deliver mail, say, Monday, Wednesday, Friday?

That might work. If we could get bill collectors to give an extra day or two grace period on monthly payments.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by theWCH

That might work. If we could get bill collectors to give an extra day or two grace period on monthly payments.

That sounds good, but I think we would have to pass this grace period into law, with stiff penalties, so that violators can be reported to the authorities and have to pay a substantial fine. Otherwise, they'll say that they're okay with it, and then go back on their word. You can't sue for less than $20? We'll see a flood of $19.99 late fees.

Back to the drawing board.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
You cannot "bail out" a US agency?

You can increase it's budget.. which obviously the Postal Service needs.. but it's not a private entity, and it is not being bailed out.

I think we have started to abuse this term.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

for me and the vast majority of everyone else....so why can't I just cancel my mail? they never send me anything i want, ever!
there are private companies that can send mail, and the great thing about them is they don't bring ads, and flyers, and credit card offers or anything else....just what you asked for.

and for anyone who doesn't have the internet....get with it, yer slowing down progress.

STOP SUPPORTING THE USPS!!

[edit on 6-8-2009 by liquidsmoke206]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I considered it a bailout because the USPS at first was running a profit but now had a loss of over 3 billion last year and now have to be financed and continued until projected increases in packages in 2011(or at least that's what the USPS hopes by talking to the panel). Essentially it's taxpayer money. Also, a 'too big to fail'' mindset won't be feasible in the long term because it's continued deficit spending on companies that are so big they have become inefficient. They didn't plan on the internet. I don't think anyone planned on the internet. Deficit spending didn't start until the First Great Depression. The formula for spending in government is required spending + legislative spending - revenue = a friggin deficit because it's so expensive to maintain. But if they aren't funded? More job loss. It's a catch 22. Spending money we don't have adds to inflation so the value of my dollars decrease. Idk. Better get a really good degree.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Jvillezbank]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
i dont know how usps could go broke for the last 8 month they have been charging anywhere from 2x to 3x the amount for postage just from Christmas time till now

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
And those price increases caused even more customers to shy away from them. It used to be self sufficient. It's not anymore so technically it should be done away with but I wouldn't okay any more job loss if I was in office. I guess because messages are so much faster and easier to write and respond to over the internet. So packages must be their main income. With private entities competing and technology increasing it's just become inefficient.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Just another example that government can't manage the programs they set up.

Before giving them more money, Congress should determine ways to make it more profitable.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join