It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if you had the secret to existence?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
If you had to chance to know the true reason. 100% proof to the reason for existence, would you really want to know? Or would you choose to stay in the dark and play the guessing game? Seems to me that knowing the reason and secret to existence would defeat that very purpose, whatever it may be.

Me, personally? I cannot answer the question myself. But I would like to know what others' opinions on it would be.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

I know the secret to existence...It is to create, and provide an experience to the creator.

Whether anyone agrees with me is another matter, but I am glad that I know and it has helped me be a better person for it.

At least that is what I believe now..this can always change..

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Beliefs are fine and dandy. No one can say you are wrong for having a belief. But if it could be proven 100% to the entire world, then it would be the real reason.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I do know. And I am not telling. You need to find it on your own. That's the value in it all. I am not saying I know your trip. The end of it all, Hell, that is the fun in it all. Go at your own pace. I might be a step ahead of you now, but, you could leap frog over me later. It's fun! It's a game! If you achieve it all, and leap to the end, then it is all over for you. It's your end. Enjoy the trip. The end is really boring.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Perhaps making this thread was a mistake on my part. Now all the people who claim to know the truth to existence will come out and not one of them will indulge us in specifics.

Well, that's just great if you know the truth. However, I was not asking if anyone knew. I was asking all the "lowly" folks of this world what they would do if they DID know...and really knew. Not just proclaimed to know.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I like the question. But I think it goes against the answer in that it's subjective to each of us. In that there is no 100% provable to others reason, just alot of 100% provable to the individual but to no other reasons. But as always, I could be wrong.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
the issue with knowing the reason of existence is that it's relative to the students worldview. it's because of this that the reason is always morphing. simply put, as soon as a worldview has served it's purpose and new one unfolds.

after all, it would be awfully boring to suddenly know all the answers. the experience would lose all meaning and existence would be instantly undone.

cheers,
AA

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
If you had to chance to know the true reason. 100% proof to the reason for existence, would you really want to know? Or would you choose to stay in the dark and play the guessing game? Seems to me that knowing the reason and secret to existence would defeat that very purpose, whatever it may be.

Me, personally? I cannot answer the question myself. But I would like to know what others' opinions on it would be.

If I had the secret of existence, in other words know 100% if there is a god/goddess/gods/goddesses or if everything simply exists because of the big bang. If I knew with 100% certainty that there is in fact purpose to what we call life. If I had 100% knowledge of how life came to be, and the reason for my existence...

I would write a book. I would make it the most important book in the history of mankind. I would try to share the knowledge with the whole world so as to inform everyone of what the "truth" really is. I would even try to SHOW people were I got this 100% unfalsifiable evidence for the secret and purpose of existence.

However, at the end of the day I would end up saying "so what?"
it would seem irrelevant after a while. What can you do with this knowledge anyway? In fact once this knowledge becomes widespread, all the question that drive mankind would have been answered. Scientist who specialize in biology and physics will pretty much lose the main goal of their endeavors (knowing the reason and cause for existence would logically lead to the discovery of how the universe came to be and how life came to be- the two main goals most scientist want to answer)

there would not be any more religions because if no gods are involved it would probably make many people turn into atheists. If god/goddess/gods and goddesses are involved then all religions would be proven false except one (assuming humans have the right deity somewhere in the planet). Debates would cease to exist or become absolutely pointless.

Actually, life itself would become boring. If the reason and cause for existence becomes common knowledge, then we humans pretty much have no more mysteries to look forward to. Our curiosity would basically become nonexistent.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

It very well could be subjective. But if we discard all beliefs regarding quantum mechanics and the holographic universe and just go with the old ideas that we are all real and all exist in the same world, then it would seem to me that no matter how subjective the reasons are, there has GOT to be at least 1 objective reason to it all. Otherwise we would not all exist on the same planet at the same time and be able to communicate with eachother on such issues.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Actually, no, you would not need seperate realities. Don't we all perceive reality at least a little bit different from each other?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Of course. But the fact still stands that we are able to communicate those perspectives to one another, which means that at some level or another, we exist all together.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by newworld

I like this idea. But, knowing our world. A book about the secret of life prolly wouldn't sell too good. People only wanna know when they are going to die and how they will get there. They don't wanna know why they are really here.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
If I had the absolute truth to existence I'd immediately call the news station and announce it to the whole world on live TV.
Why, because everybody should know the truth. And because I would spite all those suckers who said I'd never amount to anything!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
As a knowledge driven person -- In this particular case I would summarize by saying.

May all your dreams, save one, come true

Existence is such a challenging puzzle, and I find that the unkown defines who we are and in a way is a source of our courage and strength (and the reverse on occasion).

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Oscitate]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
The secret is that there is no secret. Our existence, our lives, our deaths are all random events - just like throwing a pair of dice and not knowing what number will come up. Oh yeah, us humans like to pretend that there is some unknown exotic meaning to life when the fact of the matter is our lives are quite meaningless when you look at the big picture. Most humans are anal - they want to believe and take comfort that there is a rhyme or reason for everything...especially when there is none.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The "secret of existence" involves an ultimate PURPOSE.

Technically, it is impossible for existence itself to have a "purpose." Think it through. When we say, "the purpose of X is Y," Y must by definition be something different from or outside of X...something bigger and more encompassing.

But when we are talking about existence itself, because it contains EVERYTHING, the question is without any meaning. It is technically possible to construct the sentence "What is the purpose of existence?" from a grammatical point of view, but it has no more meaning than, say, a question like "What color is "happiness"?" These sentences are grammatically correct but meaningless in terms of actual content.

The human mind is excellent at sussing out purpose. Its an excellent survival skill, and enables planning and the use of tools, among other benefits. But we tend to over-apply the concept to abstractions like "existence," and thus end up trapped in verbal cul-de-sacs that have no ultimate meaning.

[edit on 8/6/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Well i did know the secret but someone wrote a book about it and cashed in on it so it doesnt matter anymore.

Truthfully though if i did know 100 percent the truth of existence of WHY not how or when but WHY we are i dont think i would tell a soul. Noone truly wants to know why about anything. We think we want to know but we dont. Why wont change anything. It wont stop what has happened in the past and wont change anything in the fututre. WHY is such a pointless topic. Why did you break the vase my dad would ask. What the hell does it matter it wont bring the vase back. It aint gonna change my punishment. It just settles your mind to know what motivated me huh? lol I never understood the human need to know WHY. i can understand the need to know how something is done or when or by who but not why. Even if the creator (provided there is one) came down and said look this is why i did all this. Feel better now? I would not care cause his or her reasons for why they created all this means little to me. All i care about is that i was created and glad to be here. Dont care why. If we were created by a higher being then his or her reasons are their own. If we werent then there is no reason since reason involves a mind with deliberate thought behind the action. So we just are because we are. So there is no WHY.
As far as individual purpose of life and existense and why am i here whats my purpose on earth then who knows i may not have one and its very unlikely if i do have one i am going to find it out. So until someone unveils the manual on being human with chapter one being :Life: the reason behind it, then i will just mull along doing what i can day by day taking in all the experiences i can until the end. I hope there is somehting on the other side but if not i guess i wont care since i wont know anything in oblivion.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
The secret is that there is no secret. Our existence, our lives, our deaths are all random events - just like throwing a pair of dice and not knowing what number will come up. Oh yeah, us humans like to pretend that there is some unknown exotic meaning to life when the fact of the matter is our lives are quite meaningless when you look at the big picture. Most humans are anal - they want to believe and take comfort that there is a rhyme or reason for everything...especially when there is none.

Well I can know what number the dice will come up, I can tell what card will come up, I can tell what card someone is holding, and I can tell what side of the coin will come up. So there goes your theory on that one!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

I think at the most fundamental level we all must know for sure what it is, since we're made in the image of the creator, but I suspect that it's so ridiculously simple, the simplicity on the other side of complexity, that we just can't get to it or understand it, and if we did, to reveal it might ruin the whole show. So we keep forgetting it, before we know it, and were made that way I think, and I think even the whole universe, as a continuation is made to keep burying it, the secret of all ages, so that the show can go on.
But I think it has something to do with love and with dividing from one, to two, and then reintegration, from two, to one again, in a contual process of creation via differentiation and reintegration. What keeps it going and going, is the continued journey of discovery, which never ends. It seems to be set up to keep becoming more elusive, the final answer, so that God can be explored without end. The variety and the miriad of things is important, and valuable, or we would not be here, there would be nothing at all, and that's boring, and no fun for anyone.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

You make a good point. And curiosity might just be totally pointless. But, acknowledging this does not make the curiosity go away.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join