It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars robots may have destroyed evidence of life!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Have Mars landers been destroying signs of life? Instead of identifying chemicals that could point to life, NASA's robot explorers may have been toasting them by mistake!

At low temperatures, perchlorates are relatively harmless. But when heated to hundreds of degrees Celsius they release a lot of oxygen, which tends to cause any nearby combustible material to burn. For that very reason, perchlorates are used in rocket propulsion.

The Phoenix and Viking landers looked for organic molecules by heating soil samples to similarly high temperatures to evaporate them and analyse them in gas form. When Douglas Ming of NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, and colleagues tried heating organics and perchlorates like this on Earth, the resulting combustion left no trace of organics behind.

hmm maybe because nasa destroyed them before they could find them?

Whats going on here! Is nasa on a mission to find life or to destroy it? I certainly hope they dont hide anything from us! But they would never do that, would they? You decide...

Link

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I like it, NASA on a mission to conquer Mars by frying all life instead of research it.

Is the Rover only sampling stuff by heating it up or does it have other sample methods ?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I can't understand why they have to heat up chemicals to test them. Test them don't destroy them.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

Could be due to the Martian atmosphere why they need the samples in a gaseous form, or it might just be the best way for them they could attach a sampling device to the rover ?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Well, as far as government run organizations go, NASA is among the better organized, but as with any government organization they are still a bunch of goofs.

Many scientists have spoken about the fact that the instrument package didn't have anything that would have been high on their list if someone asked them what to include.

The method NASA is using is viable, however it can deliver debatable results. I don't know enough to recommend what I would use to find life on Mars, but many do and have said Nasa aint doing it right, lol.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chovy
I can't understand why they have to heat up chemicals to test them. Test them don't destroy them.

The idea was that heated, life would produce certain gases (such as carbon). It seems to be the easiest way (at the time, remember this was over 30 years ago) to test for life.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Over 30 years ago
Phoenix Lander was just a few months ago in my timeline

phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu...

And the Rovers have nothing to do with it, They are not heating anything. All they are doing is grinding fossils

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

A radical anti NASA comment? I'm shocked...

Hey If I got into Edwards at the end of August, ya wanna do lunch?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
And the Rovers have nothing to do with it, They are not heating anything. All they are doing is grinding fossils

those rovers are murderers. they probably killed Martian bacterial life.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

Do you bathe? I guess that would make you a murderer.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Man once this hits the MSM we will never hear the end of it.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2cf6b03c5cd1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Chovy

Do you bathe? I guess that would make you a murderer.

I don't go to other planets and burn traces of life if that's what your asking.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

So it's only murder if you kill martian bacterial life, not earthly bacterial life.
What are you, some kind of planetary specieist?
They aren't talking about bacteria, they're talking about molecules.

[edit on 7/24/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Now cut that out
I found that picture first

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

reply to post by SLAYER69

Now cut that out
I found that picture first

I'm waiting for Phage to inform him about the millions of martian bacteria that get killed every year by being crushed by "Rocks that plummet from the sky"

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

No just grind fossils into oblivion...

Slide from Dr Jim Garvin's presentation

Close up of rock with fossil... The name of the Rock is Humphrey

Here is Humphrey with drill marks from the RAT (Rotary Abrasive Tool)

Animation of the drilling by ArMaP

Closeup of the hole... no fossil in sight

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I heard about those fossils. Story is rover found some growth on it and started to grind away at it. Seeing that damage made me angry.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I already posted this a while back, but ATS decided to delete it because it was already in the Current Events board. I felt it more appropriate to be in this forum.

Oh well.

Still interesting stuff though, and something to highly consider next time sending up a rover.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Over 30 years ago
Phoenix Lander was just a few months ago in my timeline

I was referring to the Viking mission; Phoenix was not specifically equipped to look for life but rather explore the conditions for life.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
I was referring to the Viking mission; Phoenix was not specifically equipped to look for life but rather explore the conditions for life.

AH That old thing

Well its still not dead yet

[ex[In 1997, Biospherics' President and CEO, Dr. Gilbert V. Levin, announced his new conclusion that his 1976 Viking Labeled Release (LR) life detection experiment found living microorganisms in the soil of Mars.

If your a paper junky like me there are tons of em here on this issue
mars.spherix.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join