It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why save humanity? What is left that is so important?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
That could be a way of looking at life...

I often lived by that creed that "To expect the worst, and when it occurs, your hopes weren't raised in vain."

One thing I can tell you though is the power of your thoughts are really more powerful than you could ever imagine.

You may already know this, but consider that everything you can think of, any situation, idea, outcome, object, etc. are all possibilities through your thinking.

Have you ever wondered why some people use the term "self fulfilling prophecy" ? Many people will stick with a comfortable way of thinking for one reason or another, and will often have situations in their life follow suit with their thoughts. This is not a coincidence. It is you creating the reality you live in.

I would suggest checking out The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. It is an excellent book for understanding why many people seem to always get what they want out of life. It all has to do with your thinking! Just as negative thinking may bring about events that herald negative consequences, such positive thinking can also bring about the same!

Once again however, it is your choice to see life as you wish to see it... I would argue with you that there is much to humanity to save, only for the reason that I may view the world differently than you do. Not necessarily right or wrong, just different. There are no labels to place on anything. Labels create prejudice, and prejudice creates ignorance. Ignorance stunts growth in every imaginable form and plagues one's mind from ever evolving.. which I believe is the point of life and our entire existance here.

However, I am not attempting to change your views or your mindset, but attempting to present to you other possibilities which you may have not seen before. This is in hopes to answer your question.

Peace & Blessings my friends,

Namaste

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Kevinquisitor

I actually have studied on this so-called "Law of Attraction". Although I believe it as no meaning to the underlying REAL reason to our existence. I do believe it may play an integral role in how our subconscious is able to manipulate our environment around us.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

Eh, I would like my children to have a chance to exist. That's my only interest.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Everyone should be given the chance no doubt. But unless some mass changes occur within the minds of most humans on earth, we are looking a pretty bleak future.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I agree. But perhaps our children are the ones that will fix it. I believe they should have the chance to try.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
reply to post by OmegaPoint

I wonder if I could be classified under that? I could not imagine life without depression and pessimism. And pessimism always has a payoff. You hope for nothing and therefore never get disappointed.

Instead you ought to be shooting for neutrality and simple presence and awareness, without judgement.

To that end I would highly recommend for you the book "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. If you appropriate the teachings in it, you will not longer hold a pessimistic viewpoint, nor an unreasonably optimistic one, but instead, one of simple acceptance of what is.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Some of us know how to have fun.

Just because you don't, doesn't mean it should end for the rest of us.

Seems like you are asking the reason to life. Well, to me it is this.

YOU get to create that reason. There is nothing set in stone, so you ultimately get to choose how you want to influence this world and others.

Either everything is important or nothing is...it really doesn't matter which way you look at it, but if you plan to keep living you might as well look at it the first way; my way.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Lol you are a funny individual. Maybe you didn't fully read the OP. I never told anyone they should kill humans because it is pointless. I never said anyone should go down with me. I was simply asking what was left to save of humanity. A question. Simple. In the future I would appreciate thread contributions without pointing fingers.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
For me, and I admit I haven't read the entire thread...it would be LOVE. That is what is worth saving! The act of giving love, receiving love, falling in love, making love... Love is worth saving...that is what makes us get up each morning and face another day on a job that we hate...it makes us lie down at night and sleep a peaceful sleep and dream beautiful dreams, it makes us long for tomorrow even when are exhausted and wonder where we will get the drive to go on...

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Greenize]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Now that is the kind of answer I like to hear. I wanted to know why others wanted to save humanity, and each person may have their own reason. But a reason is a reason nonetheless. And whether I agree with the reason or not, is none of my dang business. Star for you greenize!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Thank you. To be honest with you, your thread stirred some emotion. I am a bawl bag anyway, lol but I didn't even need to think about the answer. People have forgotten what it means to love your fellow man. Regardless if you believe as they do or your skin color is the same or your of the same class...I could go on and on...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
It's to late for the children. The parents lack of effort this last generation sealed their fate. Unless you believe you personally know someone who'll save the day, it isn't going to happen.

reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I read the OP, and re-read it again.

You claim to have only been truly happy once, and real joy died a long time ago.

The actual title of the thread is also quite "downing"...sounds like a rhetorical question to me but if it is not and you are truly seeking an answer, let me try once more.

We all must strive for the better days...we all go through pain and periods of depression and emotional upset. If you don't, you must be crazy!

One thing many forget though is that you must fight on and create a happy future. It does not come to you without effort. It might not come the next day, week, or year.

Once you find something that makes you happy - follow it. It may change though, and take a completely different turn. Then you must find something new that makes you happy. There is not one key, but many.

I will use myself as an example. 3-4 years ago, I had the time of my life playing video games. Whether you want to call it addicted or not...it felt like real fun. When I got older, the urge to play those games goes away and you are left sitting there searching for a new hobby. That search, to me, is the era of "depression". Then again, you do not know true happiness until you have felt true sadness.

All is fine for the moment...but one boring day makes you reflect a lot on yourself.

edit - I hope I provided a bit more insight, even if you do not agree. I took the thread originally as another "oh noez world gon' blow up we all die" thread.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by FritosBBQTwist]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

I appreciate your insight and will take it to thought. I dislike threads like the one you described. Although I speak of alot of doom, I would never outright say "we are all screwed. plug up your butt and get ready to be blown to pieces". Gloominess is just in my personality, has been since I can remember even as a child. I asked a question and nothing more, you answered what you feel was appropriate. All is good. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by itsmuch2late

Fatalism is not a word in my vocabulary. It's not too late it's never too late.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I asked myself this same question once. It was for a different reason, but not that different.

And what I have learned is that earth society is somewhat special in several ways. Quite aside from the beauty of the planet itself, this society is unusual in the value it places on personal freedom. This value has lead to at least limited success of some great thinkers who would have been crushed or never understood in a slavery-based society. In other words, on earth the struggle to find real freedom survives. In other societies it was given up long ago.

I realize the above statements seem speculative. But I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm just telling you why I think this planet and the people on it are worth saving.

I hope you don't mind me commenting on your experience with the subject of happiness. Most people find that happiness is a byproduct of freedom. If you can find out how to be freer, you can find out how to be happier.

I just finished reviewing a new set of videos about Dianetics. This is one of the routes to freedom and happiness that has been discovered on this planet. One of the best routes, I think. But my point about it is that many societies have existed that were so dead-end and pointless that a discovery like Dianetics would have been killed instantly. On this planet, though, it thrives, along with many other proposed ways to achieve greater happiness. The fact that we still have this dream of a happier, higher state of existence is the main reason we should not let this planet die.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
We need to safe ourselves so we can reach our potential in a positive manner, we have already proven we can be the biggest dorks in the universe no let's prove we can do good to our fellow man and take care of this floating ball of life we call earth.

edit: I mean, we have been tought some lessons now, let's show the universe at large we can learn from them.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by Harman]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I have never heard of dianetics. I will have to research it some. Good replies so far.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Mr Toodles,

Everyone who has said it's all perception is correct in my opinion. With your posts, avatar, and signature it looks like you love to play "the victim". Subconsciously I feel like you posted this thread to get a loving bunch of people around you telling you "it's okay". By defending everyone's advice with "I just asked a simple question, nothing more" you don't want to hear the real answers because your ego loves being the evil guy, or the doom guy, or the victim.

What do I mean when I say victim?

You are pushing your responsibility of your thoughts onto situations and others. How can I be happy when x situation is happening? This is pushing away responsibility from yourself. Whether you like to admit it or not, you have created this world and how it is entirely for yourself. Every situation has been created by the way you handle it. If you are a dick to those around you - that is exactly what you will receive back. If you're doom and gloom constantly, that is what you'll get back.

Blaming how you act right now on things that happened in the past is no more than claiming you aren't in control of your thoughts. Now before you get angry at me and say "I just asked an ever so simple question sir!", I want you to really start looking at your subconscious. Why did you really post this thread? When you try and pass the blame off on why you feel a certain way - stop - and know that it is, and was, only ever yourself.

Here's an awesome clip from Lewis C.K. called Everything is Amazing and Nobody is happy. Perfectly describes all of us these days.

Sorry if this sounds at all harsh to you, but there is such a thing as tough love.

Hang in there Toodles.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
Don't take this the wrong way, as a criticism, or trying to tell you what to do, but how about starting out with a happier avatar..?

Remember, everything, all that we see, touch, create, it's all part of the picture, and as you know reality itself is more of a projection by the mind that it is a separate thing.

Take responsibility for literally putting joy and happiness in place, around you, and anything that gives you the least joy and happiness, for which you are grateful, make that your focus and starting point, and re-build on that new fresh start.

You can obviously appreciate it when you see it - therefore it's available to you. What gives you joy..? What makes you happy? And how many moments are in a single day.....? In no time flat, in other words, you could create a whole new world around you - and don't forget to enroll others in the new happy, joyful self and life you are creating, and then go ahead and create it, and have yourself occur to others in that new way.

Act as if

Bravo and applause for Omega.

Mr. Toodles, as I said to you earlier I have found a lot of your post admirable. Happiness an emotion is like your favorite shirt. You can choose to put it on. Are you Goth? Do you look happy? Do you smile?
Smiling literally releases endorphins. Smile a lot. Some deep emotional closet cleaning could be in order as well. However things usually get worst before they get better when you are doing that. So start with outward changes like the Avatar and smiling, maybe no goth look?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join