It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Van/Truck

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Thanks, I'll need to look into that. I'm also looking into fuel issues. I don't think the world will run out of gas, but it might be hard to come by.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

It gets cold in the Rocky Mountains, real cold, cold enough to turn Diesel into pudding. I don't remember at what temp Diesel starts of gel but it does and I've seen it happen so for me Diesel is out... how we got past diesel gelling was by use of a tank heater or just letting the motor idle, that keeps the fuel in the tanks circulating... I'd rater not have to let the engine idle all winter thank you...

PS for a long times now I've tried to get my hands on a Rover 110 no luck there just to rare here in the states

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TornMind

My thoughts is a SHTF bio-diesel is our because you can no longer run down to the local burger joint and collect up the used oil to make fuel. unless you want to go into large scale vegetable oil production than that only leaves Alcohol and making a still as workable

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

DaddyBare

Nice van! And good price! It doesn't stick out at all, imo, but I'm from a state where hundreds of these things, and much bigger, visit for all the outdoor recreation, so it's quite common to see them.

I've been considering buying something similar to just travel across the states now that I am in my 'dessert' years. Something this size would be totally adequate for my needs. I'd strap a moped on the back and away we go!

PS: The link you posted is an excellent source of information. Thanks-

[edit on 20-7-2009 by jsobecky]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I have helped convert 2 17 foot U Haul trucks into motorhomes. you can find the U Hauls for sale around the US and many are diesels and get very good mpg for there size.
www.uhaul.com...

The box is will built much stronger then a conventional motor home and you have a big back door for putting ATVs or other large items in the box.
they are also made for towing so you can tow a small car behind them.
the windows for the box can be salvaged at wreaking yard from wreaked motor homes also the many of the inside fixtures like sinks cabinets and stoves

One i help convert was for cold weather use and we lined it with 4 inch Styrofoam before adding the inside paneling.
the other we took the roll-up door off and built a drop-down deck and put tent type add on on it. although this works best with a larger moving truck that has a side door

The 14 foot U Haul also has a diesel
22 and 26-foot Penske trucks also have diesels and are easy to convert.

The only problem with converting a moving truck is that some states will not change the registration from commercial to RV. Calif is one of those states and both people i know that converted there's had to go to Nevada to change the registration. but they were retiring and leaving the state anyway.
so check you state laws before converting a vehicle.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
NO pics for yall but my short bus from the local school dist auction is just about perfect for 3 to bug out and the lift gate is the icing on the cupcake.
It's diesel/ so I guess thats flex fuel, I have ran it on veg oil it ran rough but it ran, now just steel plating for the windows and some gun ports, and mad max here we come

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Haha steel plating and gun ports... a little overboard but I see what you mean.

I'm more interested in converting for necessities such as cooking and water.

Toilets, I'm not concerned. It will be just me, and I can stop along the road...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I wrap my meat in foil and lay it on the exaust manifold, canned goods work the same just poke a small hole in it so it dont explodde..

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I'm a big fan of yard sales and every week I see people putting out their old camping gear. one thing you might want to keep your eyes open for is a Coleman camp stove. not the bottled propane ones the pump gas stoves. If you see a gray colored one grabbed it, those are duel fuel types they run just as good on Gasoline as they do those red cans of camp stove fuel.

I have three of those little stoves and several gas lamps, they work great, outside... the fumes will knock you over in an enclosed space but that can be fixed with a small microwave and 12vdc to 110vac power inverter. just watch the wattage output. the small microwaves and inverters can be found in most of the bigger truck stops. a lot of that 12volt stuff is sold to over the road truckers ya know...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I'm familiar with the old style Coleman stoves - thanks.

Do you worry about security on your trips?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It's all about who you know...

An... associate... of man, who happens to be a survivor through and through (Army mechanic, lived through Hamburger Hill), has the right idea. He owns a WWII Sherman tank, an APC, another tank that was retro-fitted to tow disabled tanks, and a tanker truck with siphoning equipment.

Ge has even had government officials come up to him with satellite photographs of some of his "toys".

This is, of course, in addition to the massive amounts of paraphernalia he has scattered or buried throughout his land.

Guess where me and mine are going when the time comes.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
The best thing about diesels is if all else fails for finding fuel they will run on crankcase oil or transmission fluid from abandoned vehicles.

You need to have the proper filtering system and having a little diesel to start and warm the vehicle helps.

Heating used oil and transmission fluid and running it through a Frantz toilet paper bypass oil filter will take out anything that could harm your injectors.
www.frantzoil.com...
Many wreaking yards run there yard equipment on used oil and just use diesel to start and warm up the equipment. This is cheaper for them then putting the used oil in drums and paying for them to be hauled away or dumping the oil on the ground and getting a large fine when they are caught.

I have the filtering system still from my mining days when i burnt all my waste oil in the mine diesels just so i did not have to pay someone to haul it away.

JP4, JP5, Kerosene, and home heating oil will also work in diesels.
if you are around a oil field area and know what drip gas is that can also be run in a diesel.

Most people don't know of all the sources of fuel that can be used in diesels.

If SHTF i can build a still system that can make a crude diesel fuel from old tires.

Alcohol, alcohol/water, propane or a mix of alcohol/water/propane can be injected into the intake of a diesel engine to raise HP and MPG.
It also will help the non diesels and bio diesels burn better.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Looking at these posts made me think , here in the UK we'd have problems trying to really outfit any vehicle for whatever SitX happens, one thought crossed my mind that I haven't seen yet, is all the talk about outfitting your RV or whatever is the lack of tyre talk.
Let me explain, in February this year we had bad snowfall the 2nd and 3rd of Feb, the country ground to a halt. People couldn't go to work , vehicles were off the road, even a 4x4 went past skidding all over the place ( man that driver looked pi**ed LOL). The only vehicle I saw that worked' was an ambulance with SNOW TYRES, it had a chain fitment round the rear wheels to supply grip, when outfitting your RV invest in a set , you never know it might come in handy in the winter

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
First to jsobecky I've never had problems having my firearms in my van with me but you do have to follow Federal laws. when stored they are locked up in a small gun safe under the bed. Ammo and weapon are never stored together making a Pistol with spare mags the best way to go.. A revolver and speed loaders will do if you pratice... Don't even think of going into Canada or Mexico with your favorite toys, anymore they don't just turn you away the lock you up!

DataWraith Good point about keeping a set of tire chains, their good for mud as well as snow ya know... I would add a set of chain tensioners (Kind of a big rubberband with hooks) and a chain tool That's a little "L" looking rod that helps you get those chains good and tight. if their lose they spin off...

[edit on 21-7-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Thanks for editing to get me name right , don't lie I saw ya

And I love the idea of the 'garbage truck' , What a great way to look inconspicuos to the public, and who would go upto a truck like that to see if theres anything worth nicking from it?
Wonder what else you could hide a Sitx vehicle in?
Most people would just want something readily available and cheap to run and easy to get parts for. over here in the UK its all MPV's and transit vans with no room to modify. Camper vans are hard to source.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I prefer the tow vehicle/trailer combo. It's a little more hassle but I've found that a sub 24'' trailer can be towed with ease by small V-8 and deliver 12+mpg. Old AirStreams, Avions and Silverstreak trailers are of superior construction to most new trailers. Mine is 50 years old and still doesn't leak! These trailers also have superior steel frames . Frame flex is what causes most leaks in trailers. Many newer trailers use aluminum frames to save weight which have far too much flex. I'm dead certain that a big V-6 powered medium sized truck could tow one without a problem and deliver more that 14mpg doing so. The back of the truck can be used to haul other gear. BTW I can put my Mt. bike and my dirt bike inside my 22" Airstream with ease.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I was JUST going to start this very thread, but found it first one here instead!

I just traded my old van in for a 77 camper..... I bought a wind turbine for it today, and am getting a few brand new deepcycloe batteries as well for it.

I am converting the top bed above the drivers consil into a mini greenhouse, and have it fully loaded with my survival geer and food and water etc, instead of storing it in the house and having to pack it in a panic later.....

I have also put in all of my saved seeds, some boats and oars and things etc.... I just want to live in here now! I am in here right now, and my 4 1/2 year old and I are staying out in here for fun....

My next big splurge, since I have my camper ready now, bug out bag incase of who nows what, is to get a boat and hook it up to the trailer hitch and also fully load it with survival items......basically my camper, and my soon to be boat will be my little greenhouses in the winters and if we have to just take off for any reason, we are all good.

I make sure the tank is allways full and only drive it for camping only etc, but where I live we are isolated, so I could drive all the way up into the mountains and back here and would have a TON of gas left...

We aren't on an island, but we are as isolated because you can only get here by ferry, yet still drive up into the mountains and camp by a lake.

now if I could only figure out how to get away with a portable chicken coop too hook up to this contraption too, we would be totally set...

Oh, and I am also buying a de-humidifier to collect fresh water out of the air, and setting up a water cache system as well!

I looooove it!

I almost want to rent out downstairs half of the house we live in and just live out here.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This is my BOV and it pretty much rules the roost offroad folks:

I've got the long wheelbase version and it's just big enough to sleep 1 (2 at a pinch) adults in the back and you can run it off cooking oil, white spirit and old engine oil

Make sure you filter the waste engine/hydraulic oil through hydraulic filters (a few sets of tights will work as well) first; otherwise you'll end up with bits of metal in your engine. Mix this brew into some white spirit to make it ignite easier then add to at least half a tank of diesel to dilute it a bit. This will both add fuel and clean / lube your engine too!

You can also do a ton of maintenance work on defenders without having to jack it up.
Roughly half of it (upper bit) is aluminium so no rust there. Heavy gauge steel on bumpers (more like ram guards!) and bodywork means it'll knock aside other vehicles like toys and soak up a ton of punishment.

I drive this in the UK and Ireland and it's probably one of the few 'true' offroaders out there.

In crap weather this thing will knock almost any SUV into place

It's only drawbacks? It leaks water a bit and is prone to rust (I need to do some DIY about that).

Also, thanks to Gordon Browns penny pinching ways you aren't 'legally' allowed to process waste oils into the fuel system!

[edit on 21-7-2009 by WatchRider]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Armor plating. Bullet proof windows. Jointed body. Rotating tri-hub tires that allow the vehicle to climb over obstacles or act as paddles. Duel mounted nose cannons, side mounted machine guns.

Missile launcher.

A survivor's vehicle. A true all terrain vehicle...

A Landmaster.

Ahh, \but how many people can recall the movie Damnation Alley?

Oh well... at least here's a site with numerous pics of the vehicle in question.

www.snowcrest.net...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Maybe on older ones but newish Range/Land Rovers are absolute garage queens. They have some of the worst reliability records of any automobiles of the last 10 years. We had one over in Abu Dhabi and the thing broke down on a weekly basis. I wouldn't buy any one the electronically controlled FI diesel models. That's just begging for trouble.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join