It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I ran a red light and they don't accept cash - HELP!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Ok not sure if this belongs on this board, if not sorry please move it...

Ok so I recieved a "ticket" for running a red light. I was caught by one of those camera's they have set up everywhere these days.

So I have lots of problems with these cameras but for now I'll stick to the biggest problem.

It says I am not allowed to pay cash!!

I don't understand how a police department can fine you and then say I can't pay cash...

They accept checks (I have no checking account), they accept credit cards (ya those are maxed), and they accept money orders, but no cash.

How can they not accept cash? Is that not like illegal or something? I understand they accept money orders, but why should I have to pay some other party in order to pay them? I know money orders don't cost much but times are to tight to be blowing money on money orders ya know...

I was under the impression that Government agencies, i.e. a police department, had to accept cash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
probably because cash is too easy to disappear by one of their employees. I guess there have been problems in the past with people paying cash and never getting a record of it, then still having the ticket on their record. Credit Card, money order, checks.. just easier to document.

Go to the bank, give them cash and get a money order.. probably your best bet.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

I hear what your saying, but as long as I get my reciept then its paid and employee issues is their problem not mine.

Like I said it seems strange that the government doesn't accept legal government tender.

I know I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but it doesn't seem right that I have to pay a 3rd party (the bank, 7-11, or wherever you get money orders) in order to pay this ticket...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Does it say you can't pay cash by mail, or that even if you show up at the court house (or wherever tickets are paid in person) you can't even use cash there? Seems strange.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

If I pay in person it is paid at a "Customer Service Center" not the court house. And no I can't pay cash there either...

Yes it seems very strange...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
They accept cash.

If you live where you have stated, Dallas - you can pay in cash according to the courts site.

www.dallascityhall.com...

Payment Methods for Court Fines and Detention Bonds
The Department of Court and Detention Services will accept cash, check, money orders, Master Card, Visa, Discover, Diners Club, Carte Blanche, and American Express.

They dont accept cash via mail for better paper trails... the government is known for bureaucracy. I dont know why anyone would be surprised by this. The government isn't a merchant. You pay them or they burn you.

One would not be doing the smartest thing in giving cash to pay a fine so really, they are doing you a favor. You will want a receipt for that.

A money order provides a receipt and starts the Bureaucracy!

Money orders are FREE at any Amscot - so you do not have to pay a third party. At Amscot - Youre OK with them!

Good Luck! And yes - you have Amcots in your neighborhood!

Here is a link for their locations.

www.amscotfinancial.com...

(EDITED to add link)

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Little One]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
When I was a kid I went to my rental agents office to pay my rent. All I had was cash and she told me she couldn't accept cash. It sounds like I was in the same sitch as you. I didn't have checks or cc. I called my Dad and he went with me to the rental office. She told him she couldn't accept cash and he told her in no uncertain terms that in the United States cash is "legal tender" for all debts public and private. SHe took the cash reluctantly. That was 35 years ago but I bet the law is still the same.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
There is no court in the country that can proclaim that the police will not accept legal tender as payment for a fine.

You are absolutely correct. It is wrong.

The police or city, or county may have a policy of not accepting cash - but POLICY is NOT LAW.

Of course, those who are most likely to live in a debt free style are the only ones who will have trouble obliging the policy, and they are not likely to have the resources or time to challenge the policy - but I guarantee - this policy cannot stand, if challenged.

Unless the law changes and the states are refusing to recognize the federal reserve notes we use. Monetary policy is very explicit - the Fed's notes are valid for ANY payment of debt or obligation and WILL be accepted by any government agency State or Federal - PERIOD.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
United States cash is "legal tender" for all debts public and private.

Thats exactly what I was thinking...

And just to put it out there, I'm not trying to get out of paying this ticket... I'll pay it. It just blows my mind that they don't accept cash.

I tried calling them and they don't answer the phones, you have to leave a message and they will get back in touch with you when they can...

reply to post by Little One

I live in Dallas, but the ticket is in Farmers Branch...

Thanks for the Amscot link, a free money order would work, but they don't have any in Texas.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by XTexan]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I have done research and hopefully provided the link for the OP to see they DO ACCEPT CASH. They dont prefer it and it must be in person but they DO accept cash.

I provided a link to show that. Good Luck!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Yes thanks for your research, however my ticket is in the city of Farmers Branch not the city of Dallas.

I'm getting the no cash statement off the "ticket" that I recieved, and no-one answers when you call them...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
reply to post by hikix

I know I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but it doesn't seem right that I have to pay a 3rd party (the bank, 7-11, or wherever you get money orders) in order to pay this ticket...

you can get money orders from the post office too. last time i checked the fee was just $1.10.

And as someone said above, they probably don't accept cash because its easy for it to come up "missing". So its probably for their protection and yours.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Farmers Branch, Texas... same applies!

They accept CASH for payment of fines. Here is the link covering the payment of traffic fines there.

www.ci.farmers-branch.tx.us...

The site states:

Pay in Person An individual may appear at the Court Clerk’s Window between 8:00 a.m. and 4:45 p.m., Monday through Friday, on or before the court date assigned to enter a plea, and pay the fine and costs/fees. (Juveniles must appear with a parent or legal guardian on the date assigned by the citation or summons if summoned.) The Court Clerk’s Window is able to accept the following forms of payment for non-warrant payments: cash, money order, personal check (pre-printed address only), cashier’s check, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and Diners Club card.

Go to the window with your legal tender and they will be more than happy to take it from you.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Here are some contacts I was able to reach:

City of Farmers Branch

13000 William Dodson Pkwy
Farmers Branch, TX 75234
* [email protected]
* 972.247.3131 – Main
* 972.247.4836 – Fax
* 972.247.4211 – Info Line

Someone answered on both the Main line and the info line.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Thats weird...

You see, my ticket says that If I wish to pay in person then I have to go to the local Customer Service Center, in another city (Plano), and not the municipal court. It goes on to say the Customer Service Center does not accept cash...

Thank you for the phone numbers!!

[edit on 17-7-2009 by XTexan]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

This link and the lady I spoke to on the main line proves they do accept CASH. Need driving directions too? The link supplies those.

You have a written statement that the court DOES ACCEPT CASH that I supplied. Print it and take it with you if you feel uneasy.

www.ci.farmers-branch.tx.us...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Well thank you very much for your help Little One, I'm gong to call them here in a bit just to verify everything before I drive out there. If I drive out there and they say no, then I might end up getting tased, lol.

If they say different I'll be back on here, lol

Once again, thanks for your help!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

What city did you get the ticket in? I see you are in Dallas. I live in Plano and have paid cash for tickets in Dallas, Garland, Mesquite, Plano, Irving and Grand Prairie and the DPS. YEAH, that's a lot of tickets, but it's accumulated over 20 years...so I only wonder what city it is you are talking about, as that just doesn't seem right.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

The ticket was in Farmers Branch, but as Little One has pointed out it seems I can pay it with cash. Its strange to me that the "ticket" says differently, but I will be calling them shortly to verify everything before I make the drive...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

LOL

Thats how I am - a lil firecracker (well as you can see lol). You better be a good girl! They will tase yo arse these days lol.

Youre funny - happy to help!

Have I mentioned I hate the government - with a white hot passion? Thats my ambition!

Sorry DUDE! (the OP gets it)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join