It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Posesed computer or virus???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
sometimes my computer acts a bit uncertain of something but never the less it can be weird. sometimes the cd drawer will open by itself with the help of no one touching it. this is very strange i believe. is it paranormal or ust a virus of that sort? please forgive the bad english.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Definetly a virus....
scan your comp with updated norton or go here and get a free trial.

www.emsisoft.com...

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
many thanks. sick be gone!

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Could be a virus, spyware, or maybe just a hacker. Speaking of spyware, I just scanned my other computer for it and it had about 500 spyware programs
. But whatever it is, I doubt its posessed

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Yes, with just a few lines of code , a program could be written that opens CD drive at the request of another machine.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
it is a virus

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I'm going to vote demonic possesion.

I'm also going to sugest microsoft start quoting demonic posession when people call in with tech problems. Only demons could make windows crash so much.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I vote for electro-magnetic interference caused by abnormal sunspot activity.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by willizbiko
sometimes my computer acts a bit uncertain of something but never the less it can be weird. sometimes the cd drawer will open by itself with the help of no one touching it. this is very strange i believe. is it paranormal or ust a virus of that sort? please forgive the bad english.

Sounds like you have the Windows virus...

Oh, wait, I mean operating system.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
There's several back door programs (back orrifice, anyone?) that people can use to pop your CD-drawer open. You do have a virus scanner always running, don't you?

Computers can't be possesed. (although neither can people in my books).

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quest
I'm going to vote demonic possesion.

I'm also going to sugest microsoft start quoting demonic posession when people call in with tech problems. Only demons could make windows crash so much.

Finally! The only reasonable explanation I've ever heard as to why people put up with that piece of garbage operating system.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by willizbiko
sometimes the cd drawer will open by itself with the help of no one touching it.

It's not the cd drawer. That's just the built-in cupholder waiting for the 32 ounce soda or Frappaccino.

Virus, most certainly or some other windows bug.
Possessed? No.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
>>piece of garbage operating system.

I hate remarks like this. My machine has been reset about 8 times this year and is constantly on. About half of the resets have been for hardware changes, and two were from power cuts.

It's not a buggy os (unless you are using ME or earlier, they all suck) but 2000 and XP are amazingly stable.,

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
NO, NO, NO...That is not a Windows bug, That's a Windows FEATURE, just like The Blue Screen Of Death is designed to give you a break from typing so you don't get carpel tunnel.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I haven't seen a bsod for at least two years. You should upgrade and stop complaining about your 6 year old software.

I'll leave you to your Microsoft bashing.

(if anything, at least pick on the security flaws!)

[Edited on 7-5-2004 by Zzub]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub

I hate remarks like this. My machine has been reset about 8 times this year and is constantly on. About half of the resets have been for hardware changes, and two were from power cuts.

It's not a buggy os (unless you are using ME or earlier, they all suck) but 2000 and XP are amazingly stable.,

To a degree, I agree. Heh, I'm a poet and I don't even realize

I use windows 2000, and it is very stable. Very few security holes, etc. However, at home I have XP Sp1 and have had several problems with it. It locks up, there are holes in the security large enough to fit a bus through, and they moved all of the administrative options to different locations so everyone certified in Win 2k has to be recertified on XP. I was doing tech support for someone who couldn't use our networked software because no computers could access the one which had the database on it. Going through, we had to set permission to share that drive in 4 different places, saying the exact same thing before it would work.

I will give this to XP, however, it runs DOS programs better then any other Microsoft operating system outside of DOS.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub

You are lucky. And that's a good thing.

I speak from a different kind of experience. I've been programming for Windows since the first 3.0 beta. I also code for Unix/Linux, PalmOS, DOS (ok I know it's almost dead), and the Mac. Windows is just not as stable as other platforms. Windows customers require much more technical support than customers using other platforms. The code needs to be rewritten to work around bugs in the operating system more often. From a programming point of view, I think Windows is a pain, and definately inferior.

But Gates is a great business man. He understood the need for good attorneys and good marketers when no one else did. So I code for Windows, even though I think it is a piece of garbage operating system.

I code for Windows more than 50 percent of the time, but personally I use Linux or the Mac.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
It's odd that we all have different experience of Windows.

I am shocked when people have problems. Having been programming since 1980, I've seen many and used OS's and I've always had the most luck with Windows. My 95 machine was stable, as was my 98 machine, my 2k machine, and now my XP machine.

My Linux box falls down all the time, and this is on the exact same hardware as a windows box which runs perfectly.

Where we work, we have a publicity department with 5 or 6 guys working on macs. They hate the things and there is always a problem with them.

But macs aside, it must be that the OS's are more stable on some hardware than others, as I always buy the best components I can find, or perhaps I've just always kept my machines in perfect order.

Anyhoo, I'm sorry you guys are having so many problems, I wish you had my luck. I am constantly surprised at the different experiences people have with Windows.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Geesh......I run XP PRO and have not had a problem in the entire time I've had it. I have 98 on my wifes machine and have not had a problem in 3 years, took awhile to get it tweaked, XP is great but I still have people that run 98 and even you must agree about that. Next time I will be sure to activate the sarcasm button.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I think zzub is bill gate.

Even if you use and like windows everyone is obligated to bash it.

I use and like windows, doesn't stop me from saying bad things!

We're onto you bill...er i mean zzub

top topics

<<   2 >>

join