It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican Radio starts carrying ads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Vatican Radio starts carrying ads

news.bbc.co.uk

Vatican Radio - the voice of the Roman Catholic Church - is starting to air advertisements for the first time in the station's nearly 80-year history.

The first company to run its commercials will be an Italian gas and electricity company - Enel.

Until now Vatican Radio has been wholly funded by the Catholic Church at a cost of some $30m (£17m) a year.

But the Holy See's latest finances show that it too is suffering from the global economic downturn.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I found this hilarious! it seems money speaks louder than words even in the vatican,who wudda thunk it? Enel will be first in line to advertise on the vatican radio station...an electricity and gas provider.Much of their electricity comes from coal plants,and they have a few bad stories when it comes to pollution.And then we come to the vaticans *updated* seven deadly sins they released just last year...the third being *polluting the environment* ahhh i love the smell of irony in the morning

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I can't wait to see if any catholics reply trying to defend this.
At least the good thing about it is with all the pedo lawsuits they've had to pay out for they must not have much cash left.
What's next money changing services?
Gotta love that religious hypocrisy...

[edit on 6-7-2009 by Badfuture]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It's sort of sad when the notion of 'spreading the gospel' and 'communicating with the flock' has been seen as a commercial venture that must provide revenue to be considered successful.

I wonder if they see the irony in this? Or are they too wrapped up in spreadsheets now.

It's true what they say, focus on revenue and it all becomes about revenue.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
don't see the big issue myself

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badfuture
I can't wait to see if any catholics reply trying to defend this.

defend what? advertising or radio?

perhaps a gas and energy company advertising? meh, they probably went to confession, all their sins are forgiven. although solomons got a star from me for pointing it out.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

defending the fact that the pope which according to catholics is god's representative on earth, is now shilling for the cash. I can't wait to hear the ad "If god had a house on earth, this is the gas company he would use to heat it" lol.
Warms my heart...

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

defending the fact that the pope which according to catholics is god's representative on earth, is now shilling for the cash.

what's the problem? In order to keep the radio up and running, money is needed. Ask and ye shall receive. So the Vatican Radio needs money for operating expenses and asks for it from advertisers. That's the way business is run.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

defending the fact that the pope which according to catholics is god's representative on earth, is now shilling for the cash.

what's the problem? In order to keep the radio up and running, money is needed. Ask and ye shall receive. So the Vatican Radio needs money for operating expenses and asks for it from advertisers. That's the way business is run.

Well obviously i can't speak for badfuture,but when Enel was named as having one of the most polluting coal stations in Italy(got that from hardly the most unbiased site in the world ie green peace)...and third on the list of deadly sins is polluting the environment...kinda shows what the vaticans priorities are when push comes to shove.Thats all i was trying to point out.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

reply to post by pieman

the pope shilling for cash was old news in the 10th century ffs, someone should really explain the meaning of the "breaking" element in "breaking alternative news".

the only news bit of this is the fact that they're now selling advertising om radio.

expect banner ads on the backs of pews to follow.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Yah i know this,sorry.I guess the vatican preferring to choose money over the moral guidelines they set themselves is hardly breaking.Just thought i would report it because i found it quite ironic.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

That's the whole point, religion shouldn't be a business.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well all that gold and money they spent on cover up all the preists and other leaders having sex with little boys must have put a small dent in their pocket book!!!

Send in the hellhounds of marketing now!!!

Priceless!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

This is the most pointless thread I've seen in a while.. and I've seen a lot..

"Some people make me laugh.. and some people make me laugh at them.."

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

That's the whole point, religion shouldn't be a business.

Those who are ministers, rabbis, priests, imams, etc all have to eat and have a roof over their heads.

The people go to places of worship - churches etc - and those cost money to be built and maintained.

Most religions have outreach programs - I don't think the Jews do - but most have booklets or pamphlets or TV commercials explaining beliefs and saying 'come worship with us'. All that takes money.

Any time something becomes 'organized' on this planet, it takes money.

that's just life.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I'm obviously the only one who didn't know that religions do this sort of thing all the time.
Hence the overdramatic posting lol.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by blind.face

Obama being Osama Bin Laden in disguise? Im biased, but i dont think my thread is that pointless.... Flyers,obviously the vatican needs to make money.Im not disputing that,but really..im sure Enel was not the only company to come forward and ask for the slot in their radio show.But the fact they have the gaul to name pollution as one of the deadly sins and then take money from a company that makes a large chunk of their money from electricity produced by coal stations(not even clean coal stations) everything hunky dorey in your eyes?

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Badfuture

Here's one for ya' ...
Catholic Churches have been putting ads on the back of their Sunday Bulletins for at least five decades. It helps with the cost of bulletin publishing and helps pay the church bills.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons

Originally posted by blind.face

Obama being Osama Bin Laden in disguise? Im biased, but i dont think my thread is that pointless

I haven't seen that one yet..

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

well that's just terrible, this is why I don't do any reading up on religion.
So does that mean christian god is a capitalist?
Man the whole things a cult.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join