It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderating...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Actually, I've found that, the fewer rules the better. We're very lucky, actually. We have members that will inform newer members of what isn't acceptable, if they happen to see it. Although, the only things that aren't acceptable on my board are spammers, trolls, and warez. Other than that, it's pretty much free.
If someone has a problem with the management, it's definitely open for discussion, and my members aren't going to jump their case and call them whiners in our defense. There's no need for that. Any conflicts can be handled quickly, and in a reasonable manner. Normally, one comment is all that is necessary. There's no need for formal warnings. While we do have considerably less traffic than ATS, I have seen larger boards modded in the same fashion, and very successfuly so.

BTW, I don't "disdain" any rules here. I just feel that they may be handed out unnecessarily often. I also don't think the penalize system is a good one. It sets people in defense much more than a simple reminder would.

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by Satyr]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Satyr,
Can you provide us a link to this board so we can see this for ourselves?

A board with minimal rules should be interesting, to say the least.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Sure, just click "website" under my post. Like I said, it's slow right now, but big changes are coming. I'll soon upgrade to vB3.0, which has an archive that's 100% google compatible. Then, we'll quickly have more members than my bandwidth can probably handle.
The member count probably reflects a true value more than most boards, since I regularly remove inactive accounts. Alot of boards love to show a huge member count, even though 80% of them never even returned after the first visit. I don't care about false numbers, myself.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hey let's lock this topic up allready.
The mods are great, the members are great (most of em) and this community is great.
One should understand that the mods are doing their best, and one should also understand that satyr did not like getting warned when speaking his mind.
That's the most important thing, understanding eachother instead of only looking at it from your way.
Thx mods for the time you put into ATS, it's a cool place to have discussions and learn new stuff.

(this thread can be locked up as far as I am concerned, I started it and got all the answers I needed, further problems with moderation of other members can be solved by new threads/complaint forms)

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
It sets people in defense much more than a simple reminder would.

Besides a few rare others, I haven't seen a lot of people offended by the warning system or the point deduction.

and "The lesser the rules the better". Are you kidding? There's just so many trolls (kinda hard to avoid with so many members) around here, this place would turn to chaos without so many rules, or without so many mods to apply them.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
and "The lesser the rules the better". Are you kidding? There's just so many trolls (kinda hard to avoid with so many members) around here, this place would turn to chaos without so many rules, or without so many mods to apply them.

We don't allow trolls to remain on the board, period. I do realize this place pretty much attracts trolls, though.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr

We don't allow trolls to remain on the board, period. I do realize this place pretty much attracts trolls, though.

What about gnomes? I know trolls can be a problem but gnomes are ok right.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ilikeburgers
What about gnomes? I know trolls can be a problem but gnomes are ok right.

Yeah, we have nothing against gnomes, dwarfs, etc.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
zedd got teh foo-nay!

oh i wish i could applaud you for that.

anything that makes me laugh this hard deserves an applaud!

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I did not think it was funny enough to deserve an applause. It was funny but not that funny. Just my 2 cents.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Geeez

What the hell is going on in here?

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I understand how one-liners would reduce the quality of the ATS S.O. I made that fatal mistake and was deducted 20 hard- earned ATS points!

However, shouldn't these rules apply to moderators also? If you mentioned this before..... please excuse my ignorance which I'm truly trying to deny!

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67 What the hell is going on in here?
Continuing pot-shots as a result of your first massive cannon blast when you opened mod-season.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Continuing pot-shots as a result of your first massive cannon blast when you opened mod-season.

I knew you'd say that. But I won't take offense to it.

This "Jakko" character who made this post as no entrance pass to RATS so there is no way he so my post hence I didn't "influence" him to make this post.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Illmatic67
What the hell is going on in here?

Touche, S.O.
LMAO

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   

*Disclaimer - Used with PrankMonkey's full permission.
No Monkey followers were hurt during the making of this satire.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Roses are red

Violets are blue.......

I LOVE the 'MODs'

And YOU should too!

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I have to agree with much that has been said in this thread. The point deductions has gotten a bit out of hand.
Yes I understand that you want quality posts here, but when you get to the point where people feel like they can't make concise to the point statements because they will be penalized for not making their post long enough something is wrong.
First you slap the hands for quoting to much so you save bandwidth then you slap the hands for posting to little which saves bandwidth but does not give the illusion of quality. May I just say that quantity and quality are not relative things. Being long winded does not make one intelligient or thoughtful.
I often like to make my point in a clean concise way. I do not ramble on very often, and I have lost points for this very reason. For me personally it has never been a problem because I am not really all that concerned over my points count, however I know I there are others like me who may want their points for whatever reason and are losing them because they know how to say what they need to say without being long winded.
I think this bears a second consideration.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This thread is turning into garbage :

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Where did they get these pictures of the SM clown ? It's PrankMonkey ? I didn't know he was a military in post in Iraq !

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join