It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderating...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
How much bandwidth is wasted with animated Avatars, and long descriptions of self?

Certainly much more than text. All these huge avatars and profile images...

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I see very few people siding with your little campaign here.

That's because you always lock my threads.

Let's turn down the drama volume and move on to real issues, your moment of fame is over.

Yep. Just wanted to see if I could clue you in to what a few people are thinking. Although, you still seem to think I'm after something other than fair moderation, I could care less about fame.

[Edited on 5-10-2004 by Satyr]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Then use the complaint form where a proper response can be decided upon, instead of a whinge session.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that all this negativity to the Mods is starting to get a little out of hand?

I have no particular 'friendship' as such with any of the mods, but feel they are doing a decent enough job to keep things on track.

I think people forget that the mods, as well as (nearly) all of us, actually do have other things to do that sit here monitoring ATS (as good as it is!).

Relax people, just get on with it. Mods are mods, maybe you'll be one some day, maybe not, who cares?

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I'm not really directing this at any MOD
Just policies and the enforcement of them.

I consider this a disussion, like other threads.
I didn't really notice much whining either.

Is it wrong, on this kind of BB, to discuss
policies and their effect on free flow of ideas?
I think it's appropriate! Maybe there's a conspiracy!

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Spacedoubt,

I know what you mean, and it wasn't directed just at you, but my opinion is that these sorts of 'chat's' end up with someone either looking like a real twat, or being banned. Now, nobody has done anything worthy of getting banned here I know, but these things can escalate.

Everyone has their favourite topics here at ATS, if we put as much effort into those as we (the royal we!) did to this forum section we would be rocking!

B

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt Is it wrong, on this kind of BB, to discuss policies and their effect on free flow of ideas? I think it's appropriate! Maybe there's a conspiracy!
No... however... 1) Many of our staff are experienced at running digital communities. In particular, I've been doing it since 1987. You'll notice that the majority of muck-raking complaints are disgruntled new members who are unable to simply follow our rules. These rules are, for the most part, tried-and-true guidelines for common discussion board manners and courtesies, not iron-fisted decrees. 2) You (meaning the complainers) are not footing the bill for this very large, very diverse, very active, and feature-rich online digital community. Your free involvement here is not a "right" but a privilege offered you to provided you simply follow clearly stated rules you agreed to follow when you first joined. 3) Board staff are 100% volunteers who end up loosing the enjoyment of being an every-day member, and instead need to deal with trouble makers and trolls who derive their lonely fun from disrupting a community of people who come to learn. While they receive minor perks (upload space, email), there is no payment for their duties yet most are still here every day doing their part to keep things running smoothly. 4) AboveTopSecret.com is one of the Internet's most active and populated web-based digital communities. By necessity, we need to act quickly and decisively to maintain polite decorum and usability in our forums. Our massive growth corresponds directly with our efforts at building a solid and dedicated moderator staff. While a handful of complainers may wish for days of lax moderation for their trolling tendencies, the majority of our members are thanking our efforts by spending more and more time with us. So... when we see complaints form people who have a history of giving us more work to do... we tend to have little patience for it.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Is it wrong, on this kind of BB, to discuss
policies and their effect on free flow of ideas?

But, this is not really a free flow of ideas. It usually starts with a dissatisfied member who may or may not have officially complained. At any rate, feelings are hurt.
It does seem to take away from ATS business, more than positively aire grievances. IMHO

Satyr said:[/bi]
IMO, more people agreeing drives it home a bit harder. Doesn't it? One voice is easier to ignore. You can't possibly tell me that's not true?

No, it doesn't make that single voice easier to not ignore. I think most of us are really getting tired of these threads dissing the mods. It seems as soon as one is closed, another one or two pop up.
Satyr, tell us, please, what would make you feel satisfied? What would your solution be?

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I hope I'm not getting OT here. I didn't think it would be appropriate to start a new thread.

The Link: www.abovetopsecret.com... Post #520998

By "The Colonel"

"Its amazing how repugnants say I have such hatred in my soul when THEY DEFINED THE WORD HATRED! They hated Clinton. They hated Hilary. They hate gays. They hate Arabs. They hate ANYONE that doesn't march in Nazi goose-step with them and their "Americuh!"

And how did I become a mod? BY BRIGING THE TRUTH ABOUT YOU DISGUSTING AND PERVERSE REPUGNANTS!

signature
Repugnants: I deeply hate them...and I'm proud of the hate."

Okay, I realize this is the Mud Pit, but I thought you weren't allowed to call posters names. It also seems by other people's comments that this Mod has a history of abusing posters. I thought about U2U'ing this Mod about my concerns, but was afraid to do that!

The thread has gone totally OT. I wanted to post on the topic, but I'm almost afraid to.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Two things that are a MUST READ or be aware of upon entering the MudPit:

You are viewing a thread in the Above Top Secret Political Mud Pit. Due to the often intense nature of political 'mud throwing' we allow discussions in the Mud Pit to become more 'colorful' than other forums on ATS. However, please be aware that intense personal insults, board-stalking, and discussion of illegal acts are still forbidden. Enter and participate at your own risk.

and this thread:
ALL WHO ENTER THE PIT, READ THIS NOW!!

You might want to address this within the above given thread or by complaint.

seekerof

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
However, please be aware that intense personal insults are still forbidden. .

You might want to address this within the above given thread or by complaint.

Thank you, Seekerof. I'm pretty new here and I didn't want to be a whiner or a troublemaker.

It just seems that a Mod HAS to follow the rules. "The Colonel" hurls insults to the point where I feel uncomfortable posting. I wondered if anyone else had experienced this with this or any other Mod and what they did.

I'll follow up with what you recommended.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
well colonel does that in the mud pit and pretty much everyone is allowed to do it there to some degree. you cant let it spill out into other forums. what happens there stays there.

rule number one about fight club...er mud pit...

you get the idea.

that is also colonel's style. he is confrontational in your face and unapologetic about it. but he knows to be somewhat more tactful outside of that forum. (i stress somewhat)

if he makes you feel uncomfortable then by all means avoid him for the time being and explore other areas of the board (of which there are many, such as BTS where i am the cruise director [unoffical title])

dont let him or that forum discourage you. he can take it as good as he can give it (and believe me that man can give it by the truck load)

take a look at everything and find what interests you. there's lots to discuss on here.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
No, it doesn't make that single voice easier to not ignore. I think most of us are really getting tired of these threads dissing the mods. It seems as soon as one is closed, another one or two pop up.
Satyr, tell us, please, what would make you feel satisfied? What would your solution be?

I'm not "dissing" the mods. You're misunderstanding the point. What I'd like to see is a little less "technicality" modding. Penalizing members for technicalities doesn't create a friendly feeling. If I go off calling someone names, I expect to be called out. The two things that irritate me most are; technicality warnings, and moving threads to forums that fit the subject line no better than the place it was moved from.

Here's a few examples:

A member of the forum staff has sent you a warning regarding your activity on the thread titled, Why is there a word filter?. Your have been warned 1 times.

(I was warned for profanity in a thread about the word filter. Why? I'm not sure, since there is a word filter.)

A member of the forum staff has sent you a warning regarding your activity on the thread titled, Howdy. You have been warned 2 times.

(Honestly, I don't even remember what this one was about, but I saved it because I thought it was unreasonable.)

A member of the forum staff, Banshee, has noticed your one-line or less post in the thread, U.S. Army problems in Iraq?

(Technicality)

A member of the forum staff, Banshee, has noticed your use of excessive quoting in the thread, Today America stands United in Shame.

(Technicality)

And of course, recently, I didn't think a thread I'd started should've been moved to Website Related. Maybe New World Order or Politics and Scandals, but not Website Related. I guess we sometimes have different ideas of where a thread should be located. IMO, it was a subject closely related to "Police State" topics. It's one of those things that probably could've been left alone, and no one would've cared. Another technicality, really. Too many anal technicalities....

It's not that I'm trying to "dis" anyone. It's just that I find some of the moderators' decisions here rather confusing and/or pointless, as I'm sure others do.

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by Satyr]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr Too many anal technicalities....
See above... www.abovetopsecret.com... And... www.abovetopsecret.com... Especially this part: "Lastly, and most important, this is a privately owned discussion board community. The administration and senior moderator staff reserve the right to take action against any member who is deemed to be devoted purely to disruption. This action may include complete banning of your username and IP address." You've received a lot of warnings, and by now should be very familiar with what causes a warning. When members get repeat warnings... we are forced to consider alternate means to convince you that our rules are for the proper smooth running of the entire community, not the irritation of a few. [Edited on 11-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
ATS rules:

1) I'm always right.

2) If you have a problem, see rule #1.

3) If you don't like rule #1, then keep your mouth shut, or you may be banned.

Actually, there were probably only two warnings that were relevant. And yes, I deserved them. Are you going to ban me because I don't like technicalities, even though I'm not a repeat offender? The only thing I've ever been warned twice about was probably name calling, in heated debate, and I do try to watch that. Of course, everyone knows that it's easy to get carried away at times. It's just the nature of the topics.

Other than that, I try to be good, and provide a fresh perspective.

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by Satyr]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
yes yes! beat the dead horse. very smart of you. how clever indeed.

THIS

IS

A

PRIVATE

BOARD

i guess that part slipped by you huh?

this board isnt always run the way every person thinks it should be run. myself included so you're not special.

dont like how he runs it? shove off. seriously. not to be rude or offensive but he has made it clear how he is going to run the board so you have three choices.

one, accept this as the fact it is and deal with it.

two, you can continue to beat this dead horse and find yourself removed by him possibly.

oh wait there is no third choice...too bad you seem to think there is, you having your way on someone else's board.

oh yeah i forgot this...

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by ThePrankMonkey]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
...3) If you don't like rule #1, then keep your mouth shut, or you may be banned.

Or, alternatively, voluntarily leave ATS if it causes so much stress, anguish and pain to you?

Membership here is not compulsory Satyr: it is also not a "right" - it is a privately owned and funded board, and a fine one at that, IMO.

As such, it has rules, terms and conditions associated with it. I'd expect nothing less, or else there would be anarchy, and ATS would not be worth diddly-squat, IMO.

But, as with all things, "you can't please all of the people all of the time" - so if it causes you (or others) distress, and you find ATS "draconian" (in your view), then why not spend more time on *your* board and administer that *exactly* as you feel a board should be managed?

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr 3) If you don't like rule #1, then keep your mouth shut, or you may be banned.
No one is forcing you to put up with such horrible conditions.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
When you come to any board you have to obey the rules and regulations as it is said if you dont like then you know where the door is.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
geez, is this national bitchin' day or something

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Satyr,
Way back in this thread:
LINK

You claim "Not only am I a mod, but also an admin of my own board." Which begs the question of what kind of board do you run? You obviously feel that there are too many rules here and you are being oppressed for various reasons. What kind of rules do you have in place for your own board?

I am curious as to whay kind of zoo you run on your own board. You apparently disdain rules that you do not agree with, so do you have anarchy as the norm on your board?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join