It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderating...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Ah lol, I missed that as well.
I expected this forum to have a moderating system where mods can see who did and who didn't allready get a warning.
This is pretty weird though, what if I am offline for 2 days and 12 mods read the topic in that time.
12 warnings?

I editted the post, not sure if it's any better though...

Ah well I'm not gonna change it anymore, it's a good post with a good point and it's not excessive in any way.

[Edited on 7-5-2004 by Jakko]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Maybe I'm crazy, but isn't this just the type of thing that belongs in the complaints---the box beneath the word ABOVE in the upper left corner??
Why do folks feel the need to let the rest of us know their business here? A complaint will let all the mods know how you feel. Let them hash it out amongst themselves.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Jakko have you ever thought that the reason for being warned twice was cos you didnt change what you posted? and have u ACTUALLY sent a formal complaint in?

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Maybe I'm crazy, but isn't this just the type of thing that belongs in the complaints---the box beneath the word ABOVE in the upper left corner??
Why do folks feel the need to let the rest of us know their business here? A complaint will let all the mods know how you feel. Let them hash it out amongst themselves.

I can't give you an applaud...but here's a freshly baked cookie and a glass of milk.

My sentiments exactly.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Could this possibly be a conspiracy on points and there deduction...

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Because, the complaints box complaints don't get any recognition at all. Furthermore, you envision the person reading it saying, "Screw this guy.", and deleting it without further consideration. It's easy to think that, since threads like these seem to get the same treatment, even though many might agree with the complainer. Keeping complaints private and/or anonymous enables a few scenarios;

1) It never has to be dealt with.

2) No decision or outcome ever has to be reported back.

[Edited on 5-10-2004 by Satyr]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Personally I don't think excessive quoting strictly applies to just big quotes, but also excessive numbers of quotes. I think the rules there to intice creativity in a post not just repetition of whats already been said, even if that doesn't apply in the post that gets the warning.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Yeah Lyriox, I agree.
People who quote posts that are directly above their post should get a message to stop doing that (I did this a few times too ;+), but in this case the quotes were not above my post and the quotes were essential to make the point; someone trying to diss someone for not understanding sarcasm, while failing to understand sarcasm himself in a pretty hilarious way.

I'm not asking for my 40 points back, neither am I trying to say the mods are doing a bad job, cause they're not.
I was just wondering what exactly was wrong with the post.
I must admit that I didn't even know the complaint box was for these questions as well when I made this topic.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Problem is, sometimes, by the time you get done typing, someone has already posted, and bumped your post to the next page, where it makes no sense without the quote there to keep things in context. I can't tell you how many times I've done this, then had to go back and edit the quote in, since someone submitted theirs before mine, and screwed up my little no quote plan.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
[edit on 20-10-2004 by antipigopolist]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
Because, the complaints box complaints don't get any recognition at all. ....Keeping complaints private and/or anonymous enables a few scenarios;

1) It never has to be dealt with.

2) No decision or outcome ever has to be reported back.

..actually...Complaints DO get recognition. If a complaint is deemed to actually be warranted then we definitely do something about it. Prinicipally Complaints tend to be about other members, or offending threads and the like, and these are followed up. Occasionally we'll receive a complaint about a particular Moderator/Staff member and their actions and this too is followed up as well.

I'm aware that some people have not been contacted back re:their complaint, and would encourage people - if that happens - to send a U2U to a Staff Member to alert them to this.

I can assure you that the Complaints Submission Box doesn't lead straight to the trash bin.

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Thanks alien, that's reassuring. It sure has seemed like it, in the past. But aren't they anonymous complaints? To me, anonymous complaining is for sissies.
If I have something to say, I'm going to say it, and see if anyone else feels the same. Isn't that what message boards are all about?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   

But aren't they anonymous complaints?

Only if you don't put your name on it. If you put your name on it, it then helps with the anonymous problem.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Because, the complaints box complaints don't get any recognition at all.....It's easy to think that, since threads like these seem to get the same treatment, even though many might agree with the complainer.

So, basically, what you are saying is complaints do no good and in no way solve the issue.
And you also say, complaining in a thread also doesn't solve the issue because the complainer gets the same treatment.
So, the only thing these threads do is bitch to the world and this somehow makes it better?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Ok, not to be ass kissing, but...I have visited many forums online, and almost all of them are completely cluttered up with idiotic posts, advertising, and flaming...ATS is run better than any board I have frequented, as I never see any of these posts here. I think the staff does a good job, but with this strictness comes the occasional time when one may think they are being singled out for something, which usually is not the case...I have had my fair share of warnings, and I always took it to u2u to find out the exact reason to satisfy me...occasionally I think mods overstep their authority, but this seems rare here, and isn't really a big deal if it happens. I know there are a couple mods who don't really like what I post, but who cares? We are just talking online, and we don't even know these people in real life.

As for warnings, I think maybe the point deductions should be increased to 75 or 100...BUT...maybe warnings should "stick to the thread" in that it would take two or three warnings from at least two different mods for the point deduction to take place...in times when one mod gives a warning, some might argue it, but with posts that are SERIOUSLY in violation of rules, then more than one mod would surely notice this, and thus if two warnings are given for the thread, then the points would be deducted, otherwise the warning would carry no penalty. I think this might work a bit better eliminating the real problem threads...jmo. But overall I think the staff at ats does a good job, even though I have had my occasions of being pissed at certain mods, it's not a big deal if it happens every once in a while.

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by Shoktek]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I suggest that those that wish to continue this thread initate direct contact via the complain button. Be sure to sign your name so we know who you are!

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   

So, basically, what you are saying is complaints do no good and in no way solve the issue.
And you also say, complaining in a thread also doesn't solve the issue because the complainer gets the same treatment.
So, the only thing these threads do is bitch to the world and this somehow makes it better?

IMO, more people agreeing drives it home a bit harder. Doesn't it? One voice is easier to ignore. You can't possibly tell me that's not true?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr IMO, more people agreeing drives it home a bit harder.
I see very few people siding with your little campaign here. Let's turn down the drama volume and move on to real issues, your moment of fame is over. Move on... or move out please.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
How much bandwidth is wasted with animated Avatars, and long descriptions of self?
Maybe thats another way to preserve our pipelines eh?

(not Canadian, I just like to say, eh?)

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Ummm, no spacedoubt, thats not the answer.
Again, it has been stated, in a number of past threads, that "bandwidth" is not the issue, k?

seekerof

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join