It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to sell your house? Prepare to spend lots of money!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I was listening to the debate on this new 'Cap and Trade' bill narrowly passed in Congress and heard some really strange things in the 300+ page amendment being talked about.
Should you be lucky enough to get to sell your house after this is passed and signed, you will first have to have your house inspected to make sure your house comes up to snuff for the EPA and the greenies. They will test your windows and doors for leakage and your heating system as well as your roof and anything else they can come up with to force you to fix to make it PC to sell on the open market! There will be no dealing between seller and buyer should the buyer choose to buy the house as is. It will have to be certified first before any deal can go through by the Federal Government. Sure takes the Free out of Free market doesn't it! That's just one page in the 300+ pages of things that will "CHANGE" in this new world Obama has in store for us!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Our founding fathers have just rolled over in their graves. What has happened to America, land of the free and the American dream? I will tell you what has happened, it has been destroyed by tycoons and corrupt politicians such as Obama and that Nazi Pelosi. We are on a road to communism that has been paved and signed.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I was going to post a long post about the destruction of our freedoms, but I can't. I just can't anymore. I'm doing it all too often, almost every day in fact. It's really beginning to wear on me. All I can say is what I have said in so many posts this year... What's happening to our once beautiful country?

-E-

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

I know you heard this (I assume on the radio) but if you could find a link for this, Id appreciate it. I know someone would be very interested in this - a realtor

In the meantime, I will search too.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
In the UK this is called a home report and I do not see anything wrong with it, you get your house surveyed and all of the things listed above checked then the buyer knows the house is in a decent order. I see nothing wrong with this as normally if you are selling your home then you will be buying another so protects everyone.
As you also stated the buyer can buy as is, if repairs are needed so is not manditory. I think the founding fathers are already twirling in the graves about the actions of the previous administration so dont think this will bother them

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
No sweat, that's what matches are for. I won't need to sell it. I'll just collect the insurance money and be on my way. Anyone need a one-acre lot in a subdivision?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
In the UK this is called a home report and I do not see anything wrong with it, you get your house surveyed and all of the things listed above checked then the buyer knows the house is in a decent order. I see nothing wrong with this as normally if you are selling your home then you will be buying another so protects everyone.
As you also stated the buyer can buy as is, if repairs are needed so is not manditory. I think the founding fathers are already twirling in the graves about the actions of the previous administration so dont think this will bother them

Well, we have that here too - called an inspection which is paid for by the buyer and done before closing. Every state and every lender has different rules in regards to one being required or not. Any smart home buyer would have this done - to protect themselves from buying a lemon. But not all home homers want to pay the $300+ to have it done.

However, I think what the OP heard might be different. That is why Im wanting a link to see word for word what this means. It sounds like maybe the house MUST be energy efficient according to whatever the government says is energy efficient. I could be interpreting this wrong, not sure yet.

[edit on 6/29/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Here's what I got....
Cap And Trade Details

It is ---> SEC. 304. GREATER ENERGY EFFICIENCY IN BUILDING CODES of thr Cap and Trade bill

It is alot of info to go through
Here are some of the parts that stuck out to me as I was browsing

3) VIOLATIONS- It shall be a violation of this section for an owner or builder of a building to knowingly occupy , permit occupancy of, or convey the building if the building is subject to the requirements of--

`(A) a State energy efficiency building code with respect to which a certification has been accepted by the Secretary under subsection (c)(2)(B);

`(B) a local energy efficiency building code with respect to which a certification has been accepted by the Secretary under subsection (e)(6)(B); or

`(C) a national energy efficiency building code adopted under subsection (c)(1)(A)(i) or made applicable under paragraph (1) of this subsection,

if the building was constructed out of compliance with such code.

`(e) State Enforcement of Energy Efficiency Building Codes

Tell me if i'm interpreting this wrong. It says it is in violation to knowing occupy a house that is not up to the current State Enforcement of Energy Efficiency Building Codes? So my house that was built in 79' now needs to be up to the code that is in place today?

And there is more, but unfortunatly I don't have enough time to read it all right now. I will have to do that tonight.

-E-

Edit to add:
I think the post at the bottom of the link puts it well

Retirement opportunity
I am nearing retirement and looking for the next challenge. This legislation provides the answer. I will offer my services to home sellers to find the most cost effective energy upgrades they will have to do do sale their homes. With the ratchets in this bill energy upgrades will be just like surveys and title insurance, an everytime costly add on.

I too hope my congressional representatives read and appreciate the impact this bill will have.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE
Tell me if i'm interpreting this wrong. It says it is in violation to knowing occupy a house that is not up to the current State Enforcement of Energy Efficiency Building Codes? So my house that was built in 79' now needs to be up to the code that is in place today?

I think you are reading that subsection slightly wrong. My take on this, and backed up by many DIY renovations over the years, is that this will apply to new construction. Much like the fact that when you pull a permit to do new work to your existing house, anything NEW that you add must comply with current code. Existing work that is not touched is left alone because it was presumably built to code, under an earlier code.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Actually this isn't much different than now.

If a buyer is using a loan to purchase a home then that home has to be up to current Building Code for that State. If the house was built 50 years ago and it's foundation is 6" lower than the current Building Code allows, then either the owner has to find a buyer who is willing to pay in cash upfront, or they need to pay to raise their foundation another 6" to meet with current Building Codes in order to sell it to a buyer who is purchasing with a home loan.

Building Codes do get more stringent as time goes on. When entire neighborhoods and cities are leveled from flooding or storms or earthquakes or fire, those areas mandate new Building Codes to prevent this kind of catastrophic loss.

So, what is being legislated here is nothing new, nor does it change anything from the way it is already being done. All this legislation is doing is making Federal Building Codes in addition to State Building Codes, that act as a bare minimum criteria that have to be met to qualify for purchase using a home loan.

If you home does not meet these Federal Building Codes, just as they probably don't meet State Building Codes, then you can still sell your house, but the number of buyers will be limited as just like before, as the sale cannot be carried on a home loan if your home doesn't.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Hmmm...So the government can decide that the windows aren't as energy efficient as they would like and will make sellers replace all windows in the house. It can decide that the old-style roofs aren't energy efficient enough and make sellers put on new architectural roofs. Vinyl siding? Lack of attic fans? Appliances, air conditioners, furnaces all over five years old and not as efficient as new? Well, a house could be up to code, but still cost the seller tens of thousands of dollars in upgrades before selling. And this is supposed to help our beleaguered housing market how? It's one thing to require code violations to be corrected as there is a safety issue involved. But to go out and tell the public that their 20, 30, 40, 50 year-old houses need to be totally gutted and made new is preposterous. It's one thing to require new construction to meet these standards, but they cannot realistically expect all existing homes to retrofit.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by mjfromga]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

It was read into the Congressional record. Just to show you how screwed this is. The only copy of anything in this bill was that 300 page Amendment to it. There was NO copy of the completed bill in the well of the congress as it should be by rules of congressional procedure. That one act should have disqualified this bill from even being discussed or voted on by these crooks. There is actually NO copies of the entire bill available to the public at this time so links are hard to come by. I watched it on CSPAN and no mention of a transcript as it usually is at the end of the segment! I am looking!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

That is true but if you presently choose to purchase the house without the improvements and do them yourself, it is still legal. With this bill they will take that option off the table and force the seller by LAW to make these 'GREENIE' improvements before you get the 'RIGHT' to sell! Those required improvements will be on a list of approved items and only those will be allowed!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
So now the gov't can tell you what type of house you can live in. That's what it boils down to.

There are some places where Obama should not stick his nose into. This is one of them.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by fraterormus

Those required improvements will be on a list of approved items and only those will be allowed!

Can't you just see the corruption involved with producers to have their wares on that list of approved products? Talk about a cash cow for the Criminal element that is running DC at the present time! I'm not just singling out the Dems here either. It's everybody in DC that will benefit from these ill gotten gains!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Whats new with that I sold my home in California,it had to go through several inspections,think thats commonplace in real estate

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Oldtimer2

Yes, for basic soundness of the structure but this goes well beyond this and its mandated not voluntary between seller and purchaser. Most of what is inspected has to do with Green Tech and not safety!

Zindo

[edit on 6/30/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
Whats new with that I sold my home in California,it had to go through several inspections,think thats commonplace in real estate

Check your states EPA codes. Most of the nation is not subject to all of the inspections that Californians are. However, there is a movement for states to adopt the high standards your states has right now. In my state you can buy a house "as is", no inspections required.

-E-

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I am sure they are talking about new homes. No, they will not prevent you from selling an inefficient home. Paranoia is running rampant here.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The wording says owner or builder of a building, so unless there is some missing important context that certainly looks like they are saying even existing structures must meet their criteria.

3) VIOLATIONS- It shall be a violation of this section for an owner or builder of a building to knowingly occupy , permit occupancy of, or convey the building if the building is subject to the requirements of--

I'm open to dissenting views but that certainly looks like it applies to all buildings both existing and in construction.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join