It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Are Alone: Robots call the Shots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
OK, I shamelessly stole that provocative thread title from:

wamu.org...

Are We Alone: Robots Call The Shots

Sun., Jun. 14 at 6 p.m. and Sun., Jun. 21 at 6 .am. on WAMU 88.5
Robots are debuting in the medical field as well as on battlefields, and they're increasingly making important decisions -- on their own. But can we teach robots right from wrong? Find out why the onslaught of silicon intelligence has prompted a new field of robo-ethics.

My Saturday morning usually consists of "Car Talk" and "Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me!" on our local NPR station here in the DC area. Heard the blurb about this show airing Sunday evening, and thought I'd share.

AND, cool thing is, you can listen from anywhere. On the WAMU.org home page look for the "LISTEN Live" button -- it supports several media player formats.

(Hint...google 'wamu' and you first get the bank...Washington Mutual...use the 'dot.org')

I certainly am anticipating the program, just hope it lives up to its hype!

ED: Forgot to spellcheck.

[edit on 6/13/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
A Learning Artificial Intelligence?

Have any of you ever heard of "Project Natal" (pronounced Naytall)?
from Microsoft(XBox)?

[edit on 13-6-2009 by Ssemaje Jhrvys]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ssemaje Jhrvys

Thanks for the reply, Ssemaje.

While I have no familiarity with XBox, I'm sure someone in the ATS audience might.

Your question got me thinking about another program (similar??) called "The Sims". Again, I've never used it, but reading about it seems to indicate at least a fundamental learning ability.

I'm wondering if the concept of "fuzzy logic" fits in, here. Or, is that really old news in the field of AI?

Hoping this radio program will fill in some gaps.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   

project netell is a face recognition camera, along with voice recognition and body movement recognition.

but to a whole new level, this stuff can tell what kind of mood your in and such.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

So, did anyone listen to the show??

I learned some things.

About Robots in War: Over 7,000 UAVs currently deployed in the Middle East!!! I already knew that they can be controlled from any base...saw a docu on it. Whole staff of blokes in Nevada (at Nellis) report to work, and kill insurgents in Iraq and Pakistan, daily. Pretty incredible.

EDIT* Forgot to add, about 12,000 Robots on the ground, in the Middle East, to detect and disable IEDs. Doubly incredible!!! AND should get more MSM attention!!!!!

About Robots in Medicine: Becoming very eerily similar to Star Trek (Or, for the younger crowd, Star Wars) Machines that can be operated, by a skilled surgeon, remotely....no matter if many miles separate the surgeon and patient. PLUS, these machines have certain autonomous skills, for emergencies....tracheotomies, intubations, IVs, etc.....

THEN, discussion on how to 'program' morality, into silicon-based machines. Fascinating. The late Science Fiction writer Isaac Asimov's daughter was interviewed. About his "Three Laws of Robotics", and the morality factor. But, whose morals????

Finally, the continued use of Robots in Space exploration....it's not just your Dad's Spirit and Opportunity, any more!!!

Ended, last five minutes or so, with a guy, Robert Anderson, from JPL.

Question was put to him: IS NASA HIDING SOMETHING ON MARS?

He laughed, and said basically, that they'd be shooting themselves in the foot to coverup evidences of past or current ET activity on Mars. Because, if there were PROOF, then NASA's funding would skyrocket! (My pun, intended).

[edit on 6/14/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by shortest man walking

project netell is a face recognition camera, along with voice recognition and body movement recognition.

but to a whole new level, this stuff can tell what kind of mood your in and such.

All we need is a high tech headset and we have VR!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Thats paranoia man. Learn more about computers before making dumb suggestions.

new topics

top topics

join