It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Britian's Pictures of Tortured PoWs Fake?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Sources close to the army have questioned the authenticity of photographs appearing to show British soldiers torturing an Iraqi prisoner.

He says they believe the pictures may not have even been taken in Iraq.

*They believe the rifle is an SA80 mk 1 - which was not issued to troops in Iraq.

*They say soldiers in Iraq wore berets or hard hats - and not floppy hats as in the photos.

*They also believe the wrong type of Bedford truck is shown in the background - a type never deployed in Iraq.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The Ministry of Defence has launched an investigation into allegations that British soldiers have been pictured torturing an Iraqi prisoner.

The photos show a suspected thief being beaten and urinated on.
The latest pictures were handed over by British soldiers who claimed a rogue element in the British army was responsible for abusing prisoners and civilians.

It is alleged during his 8-hour ordeal he was threatened with execution, his jaw broken and his teeth smashed.

The chief of the general staff has said that if they are found guilty, they are "not fit" to wear their uniform.

This comes just a day after photos of American soldiers abusing Iraqi PoWs are released. This is not the first time British soldiers have been implied in investigations of PoW abuse, the earliest allegations dating back half a year or more, when a soldier on leave in Britian had photos developed showing Iraqi PoW abuse.

BBC.co.uk

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Just an update.

Britains second biggest selling tabloid newspaper The Daily Mirror has as it's front cover an unpixelated picture of a hooded and cuffed Iraqi prisoner being urinated on by a British Soldier.

No link yet the paper doesn't come out for altleast 6 hours.

[Edited on 30-4-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Photograph however is available on the BBC website I posted on my article

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Now available on ATSNN.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
WAKE UP...How about all those captured american 20 year olds that the Islamics put a gun to their their head and blew their brains out!!!

OHHHH...we dont see those picture, why is that, because they would have blown the liberal photogrphers brains out!!!

You fools are about to enter the realm of REAL WAR!!! and unfortunately you will learn that these Islamics want is alll DEAD!!!!

Time will prove my point...I pitty your innocent , kind ignorance....

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Because we signed a little document called the Geneva Convention that means that we have to treat them humanely. It also saved thousands of PoW lives in World War 2. Look what the Germans did to the Russians who didnt sign the Geneva Convention. This Geneva Convention is one of the things that continues to protect civilians in a open war.
It's the only reason why those amateur American soldiers arent raping, looting, pillaging every inch of Iraq

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Anyway, have you ever been in real war?
I think not, from the look of your post.
If you do criticize the Islamic people for their actions, who do you criticize? they have no open leader, their public support their actions, it makes no difference if the 'international community' condemn them.
Whereas with Bush and Blair, they have to be damn careful they dont lose their elections over a small incident that isnt directly their fault

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
That's what I said all along, when they take american soldiers, they torture them first and then they kill them I don't see no iraqui or terrorist been arrested for that, and this torture are been seen by all the arab world media but not here I wonder if somebody could be able to get their hands on some pics of what they do to our soldiers onces they are captured that will shup up some conservative groups around here.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
It is true that the extremist Iraqis tortured and killed many of our soldiers, but it doesn't help us at all to become like them. Acting like savages is unbecoming and degrading to what the uniform of the United States stands for. I was in the military, and I know some soldiers would have done exactly what is seen in that picture, but that is a small group of soldiers, and they do not deserve to be called soldiers or wear our uniforms. If we become like them, the terrorists would have won. We need to root them out, but also act like soldiers, and not like savages.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I believe all this is a propaganda plan to infuriate the islamic groups so the president have more excuses to go and bomb them more when they start to retaliate because they will retaliate and is not going to be pretty.:

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Hate to say it - but I can see where this is comming from. There are cadres of troops from both nations who are pretty angry about the atrocities committed against the soldiers recently. There are also troops who are maybe a bit sore and off the rails (Mai Lai ring a bell to anyone ??).

I'm afraid in a combat situation things like this do and will happen. What is right is that any un-sanctioned action will be dealt with. WHat is harder to combat is the huge negative PR that these pictures give to the general populace - be it Iraqi, British or American.

Lets just hope that this is dealt with responsilbly.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
In Jihadist countries, pictures of Iraqi soldiers torturing US or British soldiers are prized and accepted. In our countries however, pictures of US or British soldiers torturing Iraqi soldiers are socially rejected (but secretly prized - humans are vengeful creatures, it's a mark of 'intelligence').

[Edited on 4/30/04 by xenophanes85]

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
First, I want to state that I do condemn all acts of unnecessary violence, and terror, and/or the use of excessive force. People who accept and/or participate in these barbaric acts of torture and degradation need to be brought to justice. Iraqi, American or British, and others if found the case.

Why does the Iraqi resistance might use torture? - They want the coalition out a.s.a.p., use of excessive barbaricy sends a stronger message to those who don't want to understand.
Inhumane and wrong, but true.

Why do coalition soldiers might torture. - Because they love the power trip.
These are supposed to be professionals, they are scum.

Why doesn't the general media show pictures of coalition torture victims? - Because they don't want you to see.

War is never pretty, but thinking this has a place in this (or any) conflict, executed by the so-called liberators, is plain stupid ignorance. I think this is just the top of the iceberg we are seeing, on POW and/or civillian abuse and/or other incidents. It's just the documented excesses that find its way into the open.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Media bias is singular in its intent Hoaks. The mainstream media, as well as alternative media is against the war in Iraq and thus, have been making it a point to show anything and everything that will hopefully turn more against it. Seems only fitting, if not a natural course of event(s).

As I posted in the other thread involving the US troops and commanders, what has and is taking place with these Iraqis and/or foreign militants is appalling and unwarrented...simple inexcusable. Both militaries are too professional to allow such happening to take place.
I do not nor will we ever now the reasonings behind these events, but they are certainly uncalled for and simply put....wrong. Because an 'enemy' does something does not mean that we must stoop/drop to that level. It amounts to poor reasoning and excuses.

In an semi-unrelated way, I wonder how this will impact the standing UK government and thier very own "Guantanamo"..... Belmarsh? I wouldn't put it past the Green Party to turn this into further ammo to be used against the Labour Party and government, as well as Blair.

seekerof

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
LONDON (Reuters) - Britain launched an inquiry on Saturday into allegations its soldiers beat and urinated on a shackled Iraqi prisoner of war, claims Prime Minister Tony Blair said must be treated seriously and investigated quickly.

Saturday's Daily Mirror newspaper published five black and white photographs of British troops apparently kicking, stamping and urinating on a hooded Iraqi in Basra, southern Iraq, where Britain has around 7,500 soldiers.

The images drew immediate condemnation from Britain's army chief and defense minister and were published only days after pictures of American troops abusing Iraqi prisoners provoked anger and dismay around the world.

"If proven, not only is such appalling conduct clearly unlawful, it clearly contravenes the British army's high standards," said Britain's top general Sir Mike Jackson, who ordered an inquiry into the allegations.

UK Launches Inquiry Into Iraq Abuse Photos

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Here are the american pics..

www.thememoryhole.org...

Sure you can laugh it off, but when you are meant to be taking the moral high ground such rank stupidity does no one any favors.

Idiots in roles they can't handle....

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
More pictures of the British abuses:
SHAME OF ABUSE BY BRIT TROOPS

And this from the article:

The MoD confirmed eight cases of alleged mistreatment of Iraqis by British personnel are being investigated by the army's Special Investigations Branch.

Sad if all this is proven true against both the US and British.

seekerof

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I have a question that has been bugging me since the reports of this abuse became public....which was right on the heels of the report that the coalition was pulling out of Fullujah.

Is this why? Did the army know these horrible images would be released and they didn't want to contend with the reaction?

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20040501/ts_nm/iraq_prison_report_dc_3

According to this report, the prisoners were also sodomized using things like chemical lights and broom handles.

Also, remember when FOX was showing those videos of people being thrown of buldings by Saddam's thugs? If that British article is right, we were doing the same thing. Though it said prisoners were being thrown off bridges instead of buildings.

I'm guessing you die when you get thrown off a bridge while still tied up right?

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20040501/ts_nm/iraq_prison_report_dc_3

According to this report, the prisoners were also sodomized using things like chemical lights and broom handles.

According to a report by a US major, a lot of the abuse took place with the approval and possible involvement by the CIA and Military Intelligence.
www.newyorker.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join