It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is immortal...mortal??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
ok here's a problem i though it would be interesting. let say if someday in the future, science can give people immortality. by immortality i mean no failing health or aging, the only way we can die if all our cell is destroyed, kinda like a nuclear explosion. then we live and live and live....until one day the universe re-folds itself, thus destorying all life ever existed. now heres the question, can we live on beyond this universe? such as discover another dimension where time and space don't occupy? i know it's hard to grasp, but can this thing happen?

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2009
ok here's a problem i though it would be interesting. let say if someday in the future, science can give people immortality. by immortality i mean no failing health or aging, the only way we can die if all our cell is destroyed, kinda like a nuclear explosion. then we live and live and live....until one day the universe re-folds itself, thus destorying all life ever existed. now heres the question, can we live on beyond this universe? such as discover another dimension where time and space don't occupy? i know it's hard to grasp, but can this thing happen?

Yes, it's called death.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I've read this, this aren't my words:

"Only people who don't know what to do in a cloudy sunday afternoon dream of imortality!"

No offence, but what would you do if you could live, like you said, till the end of the Univers??

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I've heard of shamans stepping into other dimensions and leaving this physical world. But it takes almost a lifetime to achieve it. The way to immortality is through Christ, you must die atleast once and and your soul must be cleansed in order to be immortal. Most people continually are reborn until they get it right. This is the end times, the antichrist will be in power soon. Best advice is to believe in God and that Jesus died for our sins. Learn, study, understand and PRAY

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ycon
I've heard of shamans stepping into other dimensions and leaving this physical world. But it takes almost a lifetime to achieve it. The way to immortality is through Christ, you must die atleast once and and your soul must be cleansed in order to be immortal. Most people continually are reborn until they get it right. This is the end times, the antichrist will be in power soon. Best advice is to believe in God and that Jesus died for our sins. Learn, study, understand and PRAY

I have heard of the early Christian's belief in reincarnation, and it seems more natural than the 'one life then the judgement' belief that is part of the current Christian dogma. Obviously I would think that, as I am a pagan, but it is refreshing to see a believer of Christ talking of such things as being continually reborn.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:44 AM
link   
If there were such scientific developments, the world would be a crowded and chaotic place. With and ever-increasing number of people, and a finite amount of resources (food, money, water, land), there would surely all out war for control of these resources. There are already problems arising from people living longer, its definately noticable in this country (uk). There are now a disproportionately large amount of people over retirement age, all claiming pensions and not contributing to the economy. The result of this is that money/resources are spread more thinly - pension schemes are failing, hospital waiting lists are growing, and there is a socio-economic swing away from young proffesionals, many of whom can no longer afford to buy their own home.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
just thinking about it shortly, some of 3 ways u can be immortal/mortal .

Reincarnation- You keep being reborn and continue living... But you forget (at least in human form) all your past lives... therefore you are not really yourself. You are a new person each time you are born. Looks and body 'usually' dictate personality and capability (how many 'super intelligent' super-models do you see walking around) When your body dies you die... and you are not really immortal if your current self doesn't last longer than 120 or so years at the most. Unless there is a magical place where your spirit will rest after millenia of lifetimes, where all your past lives are remembered... you really are not immortal.

Religion- Many are different, but the majority state that your soul is immortal. That would mean the spirit world is outside this dimension, because eventually this solar system will be destroyed, then this galaxy, and maybe the universe. Like you said, if heaven is in the same dimension as the universe, do we all just sit there in space for all time with nothing to do. Maybe if there is a god he lets the universe run it's course, then creates a new one (why destroy it in the first place?)

Energy- Lets say that we are all forms of energy that roam around and create one huge lifeforce. And if we die, and we can remember our lives in pure energy form....energy I believe would be destroyed when the universe is destroyed. Or maybe it is just condensed and is released later in another Big Bang. If so you are immortal.

There are probably many other possibilities but i'm too tired to think of them right now.

I've often fantasized about being immortal where nothing... not even the destruction of the Earth will kill me... but what then? Move to another solar system?? That will be fun for awhile (long while)... then after that another galaxy? Eventually I will run out of galaxies after they all die out, and what will I do with the rest of my time... I am immortal, cannot die... no place to live... only hope that one day the universe will cease to exist, and that will kill me...but if it won't? Solitaire in space will only be fun for so long. So I want to be immortal, with a little 'self destruct' ability built in... then all will be perfect

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by grunt_ignited

I've often fantasized about being immortal where nothing... not even the destruction of the Earth will kill me... but what then? Move to another solar system?? That will be fun for awhile (long while)... then after that another galaxy? Eventually I will run out of galaxies after they all die out, and what will I do with the rest of my time... I am immortal, cannot die... no place to live... only hope that one day the universe will cease to exist, and that will kill me...but if it won't? Solitaire in space will only be fun for so long. So I want to be immortal, with a little 'self destruct' ability built in... then all will be perfect

that's coo, you can live till you don't want to live anymore...

here's another question guys, if you have a choice to be immortal with some limited capabilities like self-destruction..would you? keep in mind, you can kill yourself anytime you wish when you experience everything there is

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   
No that wouldnt work, atleast not in the christian communities. Suicide is a sin and you can't repent after your dead. If you want immortality go through Jesus. It's everlasting

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Well, thinking about immortality.... I probably will be possible. We are already on the cutting edge with nano technology. What if nano technology would be able to control the actual atoms. Then be able to turn the basic atom into different type. IE: Inject little nano robots into the body. The rearrange the failing organ atoms into healthy ones. This would be a full control system and technically as long as the nano-robots worked, they would constantly heal you. Thus in essence never die.

Now, the question is would you want to? Well, the earth would never be able to support the life that will accumulate. There would have to be controls on who, where, and when people could have kids. That itself would probably start wars, let alone the people against this technology, the limited resources made available.

But, have we ever considered the benefits of a few given this option? Ok, let`s forget about the moral, fairness, or many other arguments for a bit. Just the straight view: Ok, it takes us many years to be able to learn what we need to learn to develop science and everything. By the time scientists are not only experts, but on cutting edge ideas, then they are about 1/2 over in their work lives if not lives themselves. If we could extend the life of these dedicated people, then science and society would advance very quickly as they could concentrate on only the new stuff, not just teaching all the up and coming people, and by the time they make one good discovery they would die and others would have to learn from them. But, they could continue their work and advance up exponentially. Now, the dark side... they would advance us very far quickly probably... but the people running things would be very low in knowledge to these people and that would be dangerous.

Just some random thought from a mere mortal... :-)

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JCMinJapan

But, have we ever considered the benefits of a few given this option? Ok, let`s forget about the moral, fairness, or many other arguments for a bit. Just the straight view: Ok, it takes us many years to be able to learn what we need to learn to develop science and everything. By the time scientists are not only experts, but on cutting edge ideas, then they are about 1/2 over in their work lives if not lives themselves. If we could extend the life of these dedicated people, then science and society would advance very quickly as they could concentrate on only the new stuff, not just teaching all the up and coming people, and by the time they make one good discovery they would die and others would have to learn from them. But, they could continue their work and advance up exponentially. Now, the dark side... they would advance us very far quickly probably... but the people running things would be very low in knowledge to these people and that would be dangerous.

but much of these scientists are developing deadly weapon instead a cure for disease and virus. what if these scientists can live on for another 100 years or so....i can already imagine a deadly anti-matter bomb....=(

new topics

top topics

join