It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement

www.breitbart.com

Maggie and John Anderson of Chicago vowed four months ago that for one year, they would try to patronize only black-owned businesses. The "Empowerment Experiment" is the reason John had to suffer for hours with a stomach ache and Maggie no longer gets that brand-name lather when she washes her hair. A grocery trip is a 14-mile odyssey.

"We kind of enjoy the sacrifice because we get to make the point ... but I am going without stuff and I am frustrated on a daily basis," Maggie Anderson said. "It's like, my people have been here 400 years and we don't even have a Walgreens to show fo
(visit the link for the full news article)

+84 more 
posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I am not sure what is worse. The horrible, blatant racism of this couple, or the fact that the AP is peddling this garbage as news. Welcome to the new world of racism. I hope you're not white.

As a note: I think these people SHOULD be free to make their own decisions, like this, even if it IS overtly racist. However, to have them held up to the world as champions is sickening. Want to end racism? Stop making it us and them.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
As a further note, a nice link at the bottom of the article makes it clear that it is little more than an ad for this racist organization. One, what a disgrace to the AP. Two, can you imagine if the same was written and organized for whites? Seriously??

+26 more 
posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Heh...
People wish for equal rights, yet do their best to separate themselves from the rest of society because of the color of one's skin...
Sad.. incredibly sad.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bvproductions

It is sad, and attitudes like this, if you ever should converse with those who are rabidly racists against blacks, (which I have had the chance to, living in the south for a time, where it is more prevalent,) this attitude on display here is one of the core reasons WHY they hold black people in contempt, along with a culture that is predominantly bankrupt of morality. The problem has nothing to do with color, really. A group of white people who acted the same to other whites would be similarly shunned.

I believe in taking people for who they are, and color means nothing to me, as I am of a mixed heritage myself. The sad thing is, these are horrible people, and yet they are being held up as an example for many others to follow. Way to exacerbate the problem. Sad, and sickening.

+2 more 
posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
MLK is rolling over in his grave.

You died, held protest to abolish segregation, only about 20-30 years later, "you" want the segregation back in. You now only want to sit in the back of the bus.

C'mon, how can you fight so hard for something, then be in support of it.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Are they just turning their back on Martin L King?? He faught all his life to get rid of segregation, and now they just do it themsleves??

They should realy start looking at what they are doing, and realise how silly it is. Just because a company is owned by black people, doesnt mean it only affects the black owners. Companies owned by white people may buy products from other companies from black people, so they are inadvertedly destroying a company they say that they are fighting for.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Lewis Peeples, 45, lives in a black neighborhood in southwest Atlanta but didn't think to spend his money with black businesses until a friend told him about the project.

Yes, Oh god yes, we need to go and travel far distances to support only black people, whilst your city refused of revenue, plummets, your nearby job lays you off.

Buy within your city, it's good, promotes local business. Otherwise, your town ends up looking about like Flynt, Michigan.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Lewis Peeples, 45, lives in a black neighborhood in southwest Atlanta but didn't think to spend his money with black businesses until a friend told him about the project.

Yes, Oh god yes, we need to go and travel far distances to support only black people, whilst your city refused of revenue, plummets, your nearby job lays you off.

Buy within your city, it's good, promotes local business. Otherwise, your town ends up looking about like Flynt, Michigan.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
weird. Ive never cared who I bought from. It would be so far from my mindset to avoid a convience (like local shopping) based on race or religon. maybe I dont represent he average but I think more likely theese people are F'd up.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnine_sweet

A grocery trip is a 14-mile odyssey.

How the hell is 14 miles an "odyssey?" The nearest grocery store to me is about 20 miles. I don't know or care who owns it. All i care about is not having to drive further than that.

Furthermore, why are these people even being discussed? I thought the plan to deal with racists was just to ignore them? You don't see a headline in the paper when the Klan has a cross burning, why do these people get one?

TA

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Indeed. But its just confirmation of decades of policy that holds up minorities as "special" and "better" than the majority. The nutjobs who espouse that just feel they can be more open about it, since using the race card to deflect all criticism of Obama has gone so well. I still can't figure out if the people who support this are blind, ignorant, or mentally unstable. Its very unsettling, however.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well BET and Black history month and all that crap do not help matters . . . neither does affirmative action for that matter

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Sadly, this sort of thing is acceptable in society. This isn't looked at as racism if it is a black couple. It's been this way for years.

True equal rights, should be true equal rights. Today "equal rights" stands for racism against one people being acceptable, while racism against another is not acceptable. Equal rights is just code speak for tearing down one nationality while at the same time building up another. Got to love it.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Well obama did liken himself to a racist.
But in the end..this is just a headline grabber.Its stupid,juvenile and has no basis in reality..perfect for the MSM to make a headline out of.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Good point. The more space they can take up with crap like this, the more attention gets diverted from actual news. That's how the MSM operates these days. Wonder what they're trying to draw attention away from?

TA

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Where is the line when the news and like tragedy pimp outlets have to stop pretending things like this are "uplifting" or "empowering" and admit this crap is racist #e?

Is it when they move to a "black owned neighborhood"? How about a "black city"? Would creating a "black state" still be empowering? Maybe toss in a "black currency" and a "black military."

Next thing we know every pigment has it's own section of the nation. Hispanics the Southwest, Blacks the South East, Asians the Northwest and white folks from Maine to Idaho. Each with their own respective governments and economies.

It's all for empowerment.

Not that I have anything against any of this mind you. If you want to only use certain business, live in certain areas, wear certain clothing, for whatever you reason I dont care and you are more than welcome to. Create your own state. I'm all for personal or group secession.

What gets me is the newsey spin.

A bunch of crackers live in an area and it's a "militant compound" to be eventually torched by the feds. A bunch of black folk do it and they're just banding together in this racist world for survival. Isn't that how the Crips and the Bloods started? How many stories about them are spun in this "empowerment" fashion?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

It must be a bitch to get those stains outta of dem dar cloaks . I wonder if they buy only brands with out the Kosher symbol .

[edit on 12-5-2009 by OpusMarkII]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
wonder how the company FUBU (for us by us) has been doing?
seemed like they made it pretty big for a while.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I;m going to go out on a limb here and support this couple. Why? They are putting words into action by supporting minority owned businesses. which fail at higher rates than white-owned companies when they are actually able to open. It is very easy for customers to go to cheaper, white-owned stores like Walmart. I worked for Walmart and Winn Dixie, and I assure you that they are not the only companies that intentionally fail to promote nonwhite staff into upper management, contributing to the problem. In Walmart's case they also operate under a policy of attempting to create a financial monopoly in areas in which they build by forcing the competition out of business.

I have a skinhead brother who intentionally goes to a black barber who shares his separatist beliefs and he appreciates this man's committment to supporting minority-owned businesses in his district. Don't be so quick to cry racism, all they are doing is trying to help the community to survive. From experience in several cities, a lot of black-owned businesses are poorly run and organized so they already are one foot in the ditch.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join