It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet your soulmate on ATS/BTS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8f366a1c0a87.jpg[/atsimg]

Ian McLean and americandingbat near Mt. Shasta, CA

I've never been much of a romantic. To be honest, I'm not that comfortable with the very idea of "soulmates"; I think that there may be a tendency to excuse laziness in relationships with the notion that the relationship is either "meant to be" or "not meant to be".

But events have been making me question my anti-romantic assumptions. Last week, while vacationing in Mt. Shasta, CA, Ian McLean asked me to marry him, and I said yes.

We're both in our mid/late-thirties, and had both settled into a sort of resolution and acceptance that we would never find "the one"; that we weren't destined for "true love" and that the best we could hope for was not to be too lonely.

Which is to say to singles, don't give up. It took a completely random and unlikely series of events to bring Ian and I together in real life -- including requiring both of us to take uncharacteristic emotional risks. And now I have what I never expected; a respectful and tender relationship that is also an unpredictable joy.

Thanks ATS/BTS and all ATS/BTS members for creating this space

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Good luck to both of you x
Romance certainly ain't dead.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Congratulations to you both! What a sweet story, and thank you for sharing it with us. That's a great picture too. Whatever your take on the whole soulmates thing, sometime you have to wonder if there is a big plan somewhere.....

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

don't know what else to say besides:

:-)

such a beautiful thing

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I am privileged to know the both of you and to have been there when you guys met in person.

I was so clueless as to what was going on that I didn't stop talking, didn't let you sit next to each other at dinner, and walked ding to her door instead of letting Ian do it.

You are both extraordinary people and I am proud to be your friend.

When's the wedding?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I'm very happy for you both! You look so good together…
It's never too late or too hopeless or too anything to find the love of your life.
My sincere congratulations on your marriage and my best wishes to you for a lifetime of happiness.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
you already know that i am more than happy for you guys.

again

congratulations.

i have never seen pictures of people looking more happy in a calm way

yeah every pixel of your oicture show me how happy you are.

when i got the news i couldn.t stop smiling and it makes me smile again when i am thinking of you.

dingbat and ian i wish you all the happiness in the world!

@schrodog
shame on you

but you couldn.t prevent it - luckily

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for the well-wishes

Sdog: not to worry. It all worked out perfectly, and your hosting instincts were appreciated on a fairly nerve-wracking occasion. Besides, I was there to meet you and Mr. Shock as well: you are both good friends and fun people. And the Greek pastries, of course, were a crucial draw

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Thank you so much everyone! I'm sitting here grinning that we have such a wonderful and supportive community to share this with.

Here something that's not Above Top Secret: I couldn't be happier.

It all started with the What is the conspiracy? game...

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
May you both find in each other, that part of yourself that you have been looking for; and may the adventure be sweet and enduring.

I should work for Hallmark! (notice how it's all about me now?)

So, you guys are like, dating, right? [lol]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I'm very happy for you both.

What a wonderful outcome of the road trip. I hope you'll both be very happy together.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Dang, I thought it was MemoryShock. I was half right. Call me psychic, call me half psychic.. I have proof too!!.
Congrats to both of you, and Ding... I know what you mean...u2u me.

ok, I've been informed I did call Ian at one point. I know I said it was "a debater".

[edit on 8-5-2009 by seagrass]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Thank you so much everyone! I'm sitting here grinning that we have such a wonderful and supportive community to share this with.

Here something that's not Above Top Secret: I couldn't be happier.

It all started with the What is the conspiracy? game...
Ian,
Love, and how it happens, can sometimes seem like a conspiracy from beyond, eh? Even the most "rational" can't explain it away. ATS is ripe with romance, people speaking their true thoughts, brutal and beautiful honesty. It's attractive.
I am very happy for you guys. It makes me grin too.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This is worth breaking my self-imposed quiet for...

[size=12]Congratulations!

And the absolute best to the both of you!
Really, I'm flooded with joy for you two... Damnit... I'm not crying... someone got a hanky though... I think I got dust in my eye... or something...

Back to the vault... stay happy you crazy kids.

[edit on 8/5/09 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I still say Ian...

Couldn't you find some safer activity like perhaps mine sweeping or working on a crab boat in Alaska or perhaps even refugee smuggling from North Korea?

Marrying a red head?

Honestly isn't there a bomb squad that had a position available?

Yes adventure is one thing but a red head?

Shesh oh Pete!

Truthfully I hope you two are endlessly happy together and that you both find bliss and all the great things in the world that make both of you bond even closer together over the years. I hope that with time your marriage ages like a fine wine and becomes stronger and better, endlessly finding more and more things about each other to love.

Perhaps Ian you are the Bernard Mickey Wrangle, to americandingbat's Leigh-Cheri. Just remember though if you two are trapped in a pyramid Ian don't let americandingbat get the matches

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
you guys look beautiful together

wish you the best!

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

I don't know what to say other then my congratulations to the both of you . This as to the positive outcome of time spend on ATS that I have come across .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Wow, finally some good news in here for a change.
I don't know either of you so I probobly shouldn't be in this thread but I just wanted to give my congratulations and best wishes.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Congratulations is in order!! I am so happy for you both.

Bravo.

Oni

EDIT: Just to add.... *searches through the crowd* Where is my ATS soulmate?? xx

[edit on 9-5-2009 by Oni x x]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oni x x
*searches through the crowd* Where is my ATS soulmate?? xx

"Wukky watches as the ATS men run screaming; "I WON'T BE A MANWIFE!"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join