It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 159
<< 156  157  158    160  161  162 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by fullmoonfairy

You are exactly right...

I am sure it was not suppose to get out about the... Experimental Drug...

That is why I copied and posted it to both main flu threads...I expect that article to vanish later today... more than likely...

I read about 7 articles on the Ast. Principle dieing...
Trying to find some details about it...When I came to that article...I said hummmm...???

I would be kicking up a poop storm too...If it were my family...The problem is The news papers...Just wouldn't print the truth...They probably won't interview the family any more now...

Knowing they have already told more than TPTB...Wanted them to tell...

His family should sue the heck out of someone for ...Negligence...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It would be nice to know exactly what is going on out there and how deadly this virus is. Doubt that will happen anytime soon so we'll have to keep digging for truth here on ATS.

A couple new articles posted below about the WHO raising the pandemic level.

Nations urge WHO to change pandemic assessment

Britain, Japan and other nations urged the World Health Organization on Monday to change the way it decides to declare a pandemic — saying the agency must consider how deadly the virus is, not just how fast it is spreading.

www.cbc.ca...

WHO chief says she's not raising swine flu alert to highest level yet

GENEVA - The chief of the World Health Organization says she is not raising the world swine flu alert level just yet.

www.cbc.ca...

[edit on 18-5-2009 by ZombieSlayer]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
NY prioritizes the weakest in swine flu fight: officials

New York officials Monday said their fight against swine flu will focus on those weakened by pre-existing conditions, as was the case in the city's first fatality over the weekend.

"We are tracking people with severe illness along with flu," Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden told journalists. "We are concentrating on people with underlying conditions."

So I guess all those young healthy adults , teenagers and toddlers are left to fend for themselfs. Everything the authorities say makes no sence to me anymore..

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I think we're all still here Omega, Just that we don't post very often as we have nothing to add. I stop in everyday and check the thread and read all your updates
Don't be discouraged we're reading the info that you do such a good job of finding

Good morning all, hope everyone's well

Latest numbers for Illinois are;

694 confirmed cases in Illinois a statewide increase of 58 confirmed cases over the weekend.

300 cases in Chicago, 211 in Cook county, for a total of 511 total confirmed cases in cook county. Cook county has 73.5% of all confirmed cases in Illinois.

www.idph.state.il.us...

The other counties with high caseloads are Dupage (right next to Cook)with 50, Will (right under Cook) with 43, Lake (right above Cook) with 28, and Kane (borders Cook and Dupage) with 26.

So 94.75% of all of the confirmed cases in Illinois are clustered within 5 counties that border on each other.

web.library.uiuc.edu...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It seems that Senator Byrd has been hospitalized with a temperature spike, although they are attributing it to an infection i wonder if the infection is a secondary infection as a result of the flu, especially since they waited so long to go public with the news.

The statement did not say why no word was released for more than 48 hours after the senator was taken to the hospital, nor did it identify the facility where he is being treated.

Odd that they would not identify the hospital where he is being treated. Perhaps they are trying to keep the media from finding out whether or not he has the flu.

news.yahoo.com...

Edit for spelling

[edit on 5/18/2009 by chise61]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Feeling better today guys, so I will try to stay online longer and dig with you. I caught the "experimental" part in that article, too. My first thoughts were that H1N1 may be becoming resistant to the antivirals and we just aren't being told. Anyway, here is what I have found so far this morning:

Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told the WHO meeting that the outbreak is "not winding down" in the United States and "widespread transmission" continues. He also said the epidemic also was not over in Mexico.

Houston Chronicle

Alabama 61 cases 0 deaths
Arkansas 3 cases 0 deaths
Arizona 476 cases 1 death
California 553 cases 0 deaths
Colorado 56 cases 0 deaths
Connecticut 53 cases 0 deaths
Delaware 65 cases 0 deaths
Florida 101 cases 0 deaths
Georgia 24 cases 0 deaths
Hawaii 21 cases 0 deaths
Idaho 8 cases 0 deaths
Illinois 696 cases 0 deaths
Indiana 81 cases 0 deaths
Iowa 66 cases 0 deaths
Kansas 34 cases 0 deaths
Kentucky** 14 cases 0 deaths
Louisiana 57 cases 0 deaths
Maine 12 cases 0 deaths
Maryland 34 cases 0 deaths
Massachusetts 143 cases 0 deaths
Michigan 158 cases 0 deaths
Minnesota 38 cases 0 deaths
Mississippi 3 cases 0 deaths
Missouri 19 cases 0 deaths
Montana 4 cases 0 deaths
Nebraska 28 cases 0 deaths
Nevada 30 cases 0 deaths
New Hampshire 19 cases 0 deaths
New Jersey 15 cases 0 deaths
New Mexico 68 cases 0 deaths
New York 254 cases 0 deaths
North Carolina 12 cases 0 deaths
North Dakota 3 cases 0 deaths
Ohio 13 cases 0 deaths
Oklahoma 32 cases 0 deaths
Oregon 94 cases 0 deaths
Pennsylvania 56 cases 0 deaths
Rhode Island 8 cases 0 deaths
South Carolina 36 cases 0 deaths
South Dakota 4 cases 0 deaths
Tennessee 82 cases 0 deaths
Texas 556 cases 3 deaths
Utah 91 cases 0 deaths
Vermont 1 cases 0 deaths
Virginia 21 cases 0 deaths
Washington 294 cases 1 death
Washington, D.C. 13 cases 0 deaths
Wisconsin 613 cases 0 deaths

TOTAL*(48) 5,123 cases 5 deaths

CDC update 5-18-09

Reuters_FluNewsEgyptian girl, 4, dies of bird flu virus r.reuters.com...
13 minutes ago from Reuters.com

Reuters_FluNewsNew flu virtually everywhere in US now, CDC says r.reuters.com...
about 1 hour ago from Reuters.com

Reuters_FluNewsGreece says initial tests show first swine flu case r.reuters.com...
about 1 hour ago from Reuters.com

whonews#H1N1 Influenza A(H1N1) - update 32 /pnh2mf
about 1 hour ago from twitterfeed

whonewsConcern over flu pandemic justified /r8qdn7
about 1 hour ago from twitterfeed

[edit on 18-5-2009 by Cameoii]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
According to this article the WHO is not raising the alert level to a level six because of pressure from nations that fear doing so would create a panic.

GENEVA – China, Britain, Japan and other countries urged the World Health Organization on Monday to be very cautious about declaring the arrival of a swine flu pandemic, fearing that a premature announcement could cause worldwide panic and confusion. WHO bent to their wishes.

TextAs the agency opened its annual meeting, WHO Director-General Dr. Margaret Chan said she had listened carefully to the concerns of member states and would follow their instructions.

It would appear that the WHO is going against their better instincts because of pressure from nations.

Chan repeated her warning that the virus could pose a grave threat to humans, even though only 76 out of 8,829 cases have proven fatal.

Text"A new influenza virus with great pandemic potential, the new influenza A (H1N1) strain, has emerged," she said.

Another concern is that swine flu might combine with the bird flu virus that has been circulating for several years, she said. Bird flu is much more deadly but less easily transmitted among humans than the swine flu virus.

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Ao6XBb8Tenirp9Ye2gal8.Os0NUE;_ylu=X3o'___'JmcHByNWdwBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwNTE4L21lZF9 zd2luZV9mbHUEY3BvcwM0BHBvcwMxMgRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNuYXRpb25zdXJnZXc-

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sapphirearaidia

Sounds like the poor man didn't have a chance:

"Wiener sickened quickly and dramatically: the flu shut down his kidneys and ravaged his lungs.

Doctors tried frantically to save him, even using an experimental device to expose his blood to ultraviolet rays. It was fruitless.

He died with his devastated wife, Bonnie, and three sons at his side."

They are all in my prayers.

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic
reply to post by sapphirearaidia

Sounds like the poor man didn't have a chance:

"Wiener sickened quickly and dramatically: the flu shut down his kidneys and ravaged his lungs.

Doctors tried frantically to save him, even using an experimental device to expose his blood to ultraviolet rays. It was fruitless.

He died with his devastated wife, Bonnie, and three sons at his side."

They are all in my prayers.

www.nydailynews.com...

I don't have a pdf on hand for this device. I am pretty sure that if I do get one it will just be scientific jargon that will be hard to understand for almost everyone. BUT under normal "public" circumstances a device that uses ultra violent rays is common for cleansing "water" of bacteria etc ; if kept under the ultra violent rays it can inhibit the growth of all sorts of nasty bacteria that also includes virus's.
There are several 5 to 7 stage water filter systems that have there final stage after filtration as an ultra violent ray then the water is kept in a container under the ultra violent light to be used with in three days. During this time studies have shown across the board that it DOES keep the water clean of any bacteria, virus's and fungal elements. Perhaps their reasons for using a device of this nature is similar to what is being done with the newest series of water filtration technology.
They couldn't keep giving him large amounts of drugs as his kidney's weren't going to tolerate it. This does seem like a likely reason to have gone and used a device that is still considered experimental to try and save his life.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Chan basically saying what we said sometime last week. Poorer populations are going to be hit harder:

* Poor in developing countries at heightened risk, Chan says
* Pregnant women, chronic patients are most vulnerable
* If virus shed in faeces, could spread due to bad sewage

WHO chief lists main threats from H1N1

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
An update about the outbreak at Travis Elementary school in Houston. The reason I feel it is important to keep an eye on this is because the students presented with symptoms associated with a stomach virus, not the flu, but tested positive anyway.

The five additional cases, announced Monday by the city’s health department, bring the total at Travis Elementary to 17. The Heights-area school’s outbreak is the state’s largest in a single setting.

Houston Chronicle

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

I just had a off the wall thougth....well MAYBE off the all check this.

Was thinking over the past few days the different types of body issues younger children have as opposed to those who are older and have LEFT their GROWTH stages.
Then upon further investigation into different avenues came to realize that they also DON'T eat the same types of food's as most adult's do andddddd
What is one thing all elementary schools have that most adults at work don't ?
A state run and dispersed food system to feed all these elementary system children from a federal guidelines list! A list of acceptable foods from federally credited food providers!
How many of these areas with the schools that have terrible break outs are using the same food service providers?

Yes these schools are really good breeding grounds for the virus. But how can we explain the parents and other family members getting ill AFTER all the kids at the school get it?
They HAVE come into contact with something outside of Mexico and the one most likely candidate is FOOD!

[edit on 18-5-2009 by xoxo stacie]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

That is a very interesting thought. The article I linked above actually says that other schools in the area are not having the absences, including schools that many students have siblings attending. It seems like all of a school district would use the same provider for it's food program.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Swine Flu Fatality Rate 'Little Bit' Higher Than That of Seasonal Flu

MONDAY, May 18 (HealthDay News) -- While most cases of swine flu continue to be no worse than seasonal flu, the death rate from the new H1N1 virus is slightly higher than that seen with seasonal flu, U.S. health officials said Monday.
"Our best estimate right now is that the fatality [rate] is likely a little bit higher than seasonal influenza, but not necessarily substantially higher," Dr. Anne Schuchat, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's interim deputy director for science and public health program, said during an afternoon teleconference.
In addition, unlike seasonal flu, which typically strikes hardest at the very young and the elderly, the new H1N1 swine flu is largely affecting children, teens and young adults, with more hospitalizations of younger people, Schuchat said.
"The hospitalizations that we are tracking have this disproportionate occurrence among younger persons," she said. "That's very unusual to have so many people under 20 requiring hospitalization in some of those intensive-care units."
Schuchat added that the spread of the swine flu is far from over and could continue through the summer. "H1N1 is not going away, despite what you've heard," she said.
The heat and humidity of summer months are less conducive to the spread of influenza virus, Schuchat said. "This is certainly a possibility -- it's not something I can predict. Most years, the seasonal influenza strains have very reduced circulation in the summer months. Unfortunately, we don't know if we are going to get a break this summer with this [H1N1] virus."

So best case scenario look foward to normal flu deaths to more than double due to the normal flu deaths 36000 plus more than 36000 with the new flu illness added so neat year look foward to over 72000 yearly fu deaths.
Also there will be a dramatic differnce in the number of icu treatments for flu cases mainly among young adults teenagers and children.
Doesn't the least case scenario make everybody fell optimistic about our future flu seasons. Add to that unemployment and loss of medical coverage and its a ticking time bomb on our medical system.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
peterosbornukReuters reports: 4-year-old Egyptian girl has died after contracting the highly pathogenic H5N1 bird flu virus #swineflu #h1n1
19 minutes ago from web
peterosbornukTotal swine flu h1n1 cases globally are now 9238, CFR is 0.81%, graphs are at /cgoc47 #swineflu #h1n1
8 minutes ago from web

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

We knew that the confirmed cases had a very high percentage of children. This confirms that a high number of hospitalizations are young people as well. What still confuses me is how we are told over and over that almost all of the cases that are not mild are due to underlying health conditions. How many children have previous conditions to exacerbate this flu?

CDC confirms 3 more cases of H1N1 virus in Laredo: /pxo4a9

Tenth Scottish case of swine flu: A 22-year-old woman from the Greenock area is confirmed as having the H1N1 vir.. /qlbqb9
2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

CBS Evening News interviewed Dr. William Schaffner on H1N1..scheduled to air tonight
6 minutes ago from web

Government of Canada Continues Vigliance in Addressing H1N1 Flu Virus /otrxow
8 minutes ago from web

[edit on 18-5-2009 by Cameoii]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

A 9-year-old boy has died of the #H1N1 flu virus the Mexican resort city of Mazatlán, Sinaloa state. Mexico's official death toll is now 70.

the first school in NJ is shutdown do to the H1N1 flu.....visit www.telemundo47.com
less than a minute ago from web

Greece confirms first H1N1 flu case r.reuters.com...
2 minutes ago from Reuters.com

The Canadian government has lifted an advisory against non-essential travel to Mexico. They say H1N1 flu is not longer a risk ...
6 minutes ago from ijg

*Pandemic Info News* Infant under observation in Alabang for A(H1N1) /qwko7r
9 minutes ago from twitterfeed

Twitter

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

Something I've been thinking of today. While it is true that the total number affected is important and the number of confirmed cases does seem to still be rising, I think the more important number to look for is the number of people that are actually sick currently. Maybe this is why WHO hasn't raised the pandemic level.

Of course, with the delay in data, I don't know that this number can be achieved. But if you apply a time line to these confirmations, the majority of them are probably no longer sick.

Just a thought!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 1curious1

I'm not sure if the information would be available to the public, but most if not all ER's keep records of initial reason for visit. A more "currently sick" number could be found by adding the cases of those being seen for flu like symptoms. It would, of course, contain other strains of influenza as well as H1N1, but the CDC suspects that 50% of the current cases are swine flu.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

You know, a very interresting twist on this, and right in front of eyes! You are absolutely correct! How many children do have underlying conditions??

I can see that, almost, as an excuse for adults. But the stats for infection among young children is extemely high...how many children have been hospitalized, do you think?

new topics

top topics

<< 156  157  158    160  161  162 >>

join