It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea: Sanctions a declaration of war

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
While I loathe the American supremacy attitude in terms of war making, one has to be honest. The US has been fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan with kid gloves on and one hand tied behind it's back. All sorts of political correctness and fear of alienating Middle East allies, upsetting a delicate political equilibrium, etc.

The gloves would be off against North Korea. Just like they were when the US rolled into Iraq in 1991. Planes darkening the skies, non-stop bombing, blood flowing.

No one wants that. No gain anywhere.

But the US still does have the biggest War Machine anywhere, anytime.

Every political leader in the world is aware of that.

Mike

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
You guys sure are mean!
I don't believe in the Iraq war, or invading any country! I do feel it is time for the World to do something with this crazy-ass man. The people of N Korea deserve a better life. They are hungry and cold in the winter, they get very little electricity (if any at all). They have to be careful of what they say in public, I am sure given the chance, most of that gigantic Army of theirs, would gladly defect to the South if given the chance to go with their families. What some of you say about my posts is not what I meant at all and I want to make that crystal clear! Thank You

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by PammyK

I don't believe in the Iraq war, or invading any country! I do feel it is time for the World to do something with this crazy-ass man. The people of N Korea deserve a better life. They are hungry and cold in the winter, they get very little electricity (if any at all). They have to be careful of what they say in public, I am sure given the chance, most of that gigantic Army of theirs, would gladly defect to the South if given the chance to go with their families.

There is a thing called sovereignty. One country or a group cannot just decide that a regime has to be replaced, even if the reasons given are benign. Leaders, especially insecure ones, have national and personal armies to prevent this.

If China, Russia, and Iran, decide the American people are not being served properly by the two party system who they say are in bed with bankers and Wall Street, would you necessarily welcome the alternative administration they give you?

North Koreans can not defect to the South on a whim. They are separate countries and the South has limited willingness to absorb a few million poor and unskilled people.

Change has to be initiated and executed by the people in a country. Regime change, which the US is notorious for, is underhanded war.

Even bad guys have rights.

Check out Robert Mugabe who liberated Zimbabwe from British rule.

Once a prosperous country he has turned it into a basket case nation with rampant poverty, starvation, disease, and a currency inflation rate in the billions.

No one is willing to take him out, though it would be good for the people. Right or wrong change has to come from inside.

Mike

[edit on 20-4-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
lets go to war
lets prove each other wrong
wrong for what we ask
wrong for our own question
wrong for we have a need
wrong for why
for what
who cares
the person who is asking

the sadness of the question
the sadness of the answer
the answer that is always the same

who is asking and why

Confucius say never ask a question if the question is the problem

life is a joke

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I honestly don't see a problem here.

The Korean War has never come to a close... we're officially still at war with N Korea anyway, since the truce talks never finished (stupidly shaped tables!). If America really wanted to go continue hostilities, we could. Hell, South Korea still as active reasons to finish the war.

We don't need a reason. The war never ended.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Soothsayer

The Korean War has never come to a close... we're officially still at war with N Korea anyway, since the truce talks never finished (stupidly shaped tables!). If America really wanted to go continue hostilities, we could. Hell, South Korea still as active reasons to finish the war.

We don't need a reason. The war never ended.

It's 56 years later. No formal surrender or truce.

Almost all the participants dead or extremely old.

They would have done better surrendering, restoring the country and moving on

It's over.

Mike

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
All I am hinting at, we could go to war, so to say, without having to declare it... full mobilization without congressional approval for the simple fact that the war never officially ended.

This gives ALL combatants, US and both North and South Korea, the ability to do whatever to each other WITHOUT repercussions from the UN or other countries. It doesn't matter when the last shot was fired, the war continues. Why else would we have active troops patrolling the N & S Korean border?

Besides, just because the last action took place 56 years ago means squat... I seem to recall some wars lasting longer than that. And those were actively fought.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
While I hear you that technically the Korean War never ended, a new reality has evolved in over half a century. It was a Cold War eruption and South Korea was the winner to all intent and purpose. The Communist confrontation with the USSR and China has passed.

Importantly, the US does not want to win a war with pipsqueak rogue state North Korea. It means high costs and the possibility of casualties. Certainly huge ones on their side.

Then there's reparations. Absolutely no one wants to assume the expense of fixing up a broken down defeated country now. The US would get so much domesticl flak with no benefits.

Resentment, hunger and maybe widespread disease will push the people into overthrowing their government. At least that's the theory.

Sad and painful to watch, but unless China gets fed up with waiting, no one wants to make a move.

Mike

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael

There is a thing called sovereignty. One country or a group cannot just decide that a regime has to be replaced, even if the reasons given are benign. Leaders, especially insecure ones, have national and personal armies to prevent this.

Indeed mate, who are we or anyone else to say what others do, it should be there own right, just as no one should be in control of what we do.

as bad as it is for others around the world, and yes i wish i could do something to help, it's not the US governments right to start wars, or invade places on false purposes and say "we can make it all better" it's bollocks

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael
[edit on 20-4-2009 by mmiichael]

Personally, I wouldn't shed a single tear if the North Korean and Iranian regimes would be removed militarily. Both regimes have had plenty opportunities to co-operate with the West but failed and are a threat to the world. Both regimes have brought misery rather than prosperity upon their people. Iran could be an emerging power in the region. Israel couldn't even have manipulated them like they are doing if they would embrace the West..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join