It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding Depression (Important Info Everyone Should Know)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by tigpoppa

sorry for the double post, but with the lobotomy statement, you should be ashamed of your self, if you are practicing medicine, you should be embarassed that you resorted to such childish tactics, as making fun of people like that, you amaze me

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I guess you haven't gotten to the part where Depression causes physical ailments, that can and are cured by medicine. Depression DOES cause physical issues, and is NOT a state of mind.

Since when does "medical" = "Operation"?

God I pray that I never go to you when I need a doctor, I'll probably see you for a knee problem, and end up lobotomized.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by iwishicould

Iwishicould

I wish I could make things better for you, I hope you find a way to live in the day to manage the pain and the happiness that comes with it.

You are right, you never knows what someone is really like, but if you can work somethings out that you really like about yourself, and share them more and more, things may turn around a little.

Take care.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by iiinvision

Everybody suffers. Everybody has a reason to be depressed. But when you allow circumstances to control your own reality and you are giving in to weakness. Sure there are tough emotions, but nothing anyone cannot get over. There will always someone that is in a more unfortunate situation, and when a ''depressed'' person realizes this to its full extent they can stop thinking about how dreary their life is and do something constructive with it as opposed to moping about and feeling sorry for themselves.

I think you do not meditate enough. Because if you did, you would understand that there are situations and circumstances that do not allow you to behave "constructive". Beside this, there are people with a mindset, that is more sensitive but less robust than yours. That is no weakness, 'cause the sensitivity is a great ability.

I had some minor 'disorders', as you call it. And just like iinvision, i faced them with 1-2 hours of meditation per day. My mind became crystal clear and i became absolutely capable to control my mood, my temper and my thoughts. With one word: My life changed from below average to bright.

My mom has had depression for her entire life. Some months ago i taught her some Yoga, some Qi Gong exercises and guided meditation on love and light. Visualizations are, once learned, a powerful tool. Only some weeks later she telephones me with a glow in her voice saying: I did the meditations and people now LISTEN to me.

What she says is, that people can feel her inner sincerity and begin to like and love her.
This makes a big difference in life. But beside of that, you will be able to control your overall state of mind, be it thoughts, or emotions or behaviour.

A great book by Wong Kiew Kit "The art of Chi Kung". He is one of the greates living Shaolin monks and he cured LOTS of diseases with his art. In the book, he explains some very simple techniqs that, i am sure, will bring everyone at least some relief in their pain. If you can afford the money, learn meditation, qi gong or atleast Hata Yoga in a professional school.

For the severe cases: Well, you know yourself that you are facing a damn difficult life. I'm sorry for that. My advice is: Strengthen your mind as much as you can. Give yourself just 5 minutes in which you honestly resist all thoughts that might appear. relax the body and do as much workout as you are able to do. Every change will eventually come afterwards

(sorry for my grammar, it's some time ago that i practiced my english)

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wachstum

Chi Kung is fantastic!!!!
It may not be for everyone, you need to come to it I think. but I do it twice a day, and have done so for 8 years.
Great advice

[edit on 17-4-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

As i said, Qi Gong really changes your life. The Shaolin monk cured all kinds of diseases with his energies. Cancer, blindness, Multiple personality disorder. And it's not some kind of a dubious magician, his patients are well known, Professors and the like.

Don't underestimate the mind or value the physical, hormones, food, drugs etc. too much. The mind is much stronger

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wachstum

Yes it is, for those who have had the benefit of training and learning that road. But most people who are suffering havent had such fortune, no support nor have any idea what you would be talking about,. They come from a completely different environment and they need the good food, excerise, counselling or medication to help them now. The benefits of chi healing from this practice you cannot convince people of until they experience it for themselves.

But for now, they do have alternatives, and that's all good too. I'd be very happy if everyone in the world practiced it, but that's not going to happen, but I do want them to have a chance to heal.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Hi , ever heard of Neurology, Neurophysiology or the term Neurosis??
Please expand on your comments taking into account the above specialty field mentioned.
I am interested to hear your thoughts!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Qi Gong and Yoga are not some mysterious belief systems. They work for everyone, regardless of their background or experience. The only thing one has to do is to honestly give it a try, with the help of some really inspiring words from a true master, that is my beloved monk

But i know what you mean. People tend to do what they once experienced as helpful. Drugs and all that silly stuff. That's not a solution, likewise TV or the many distractions our society gladly offers us. Those, who have an open mind, will make their way. But the oriental arts are the fastest and most natural way

Glad you achieved ananda

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by msnevil

I used to be able to express love, have love, and I got the beatdown of (literally) a hundred women- more if you count the internet tries. What I have come to realize- I am not rich enough, or cute enough, and when they are too polite- there's always something wrong with me. Why should I bother with 'love'? It's obviously a myth like Santa Claus. If I cannot afford to love someone (IE: money)- why BOTHER.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

I've been at this for 20 years- and believed- truly believed for the entire time. I am burned out on believing on something that obviously isn't going to HAPPEN. As for my opinions about myself? I've been told I am too ugly, too poor, too this, and not enough of that by every woman I have tried to date. My ex boss worsened this problem by a factor of 10- and after only a couple years working for him, almost all my talent and skill went down the toilet to boot. Some Christian. Bah. I liked his daughter.... and she was in on screwing me over. I had ambition for a certain job, and tried for it for well over 2 decades. I finally gave up last summer. I was completely burned to the ground. I have tried, and tried and tried- I dont have the strength to try any more. I lost love, I lost a career, I lost everything, I'm pushing middle age, and I have NOTHING to show for it- minus the fact I am 1 step away from crazytown.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

A recent Canadian study has shown that adding probiotics to the diets of people suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, depression, and anxiety related disorders, can help elevate the feelings of contentment and happiness in a majority of sufferers in just two months. It has been found that certain types of probiotics release tryptophen in the brain which is the natural body chemical responsible for helping us feel good. You can take probiotics in the form of powder, capsules, or by adding foods such as yogurt with active lactobacillus to your diets. This fights off yeast infections within the body by balancing the bacterial flora within the stomache and intestinal tract and should definately be added to the diets of anyone taking antibiotics which tend to kill off the good bacteria as well as the bad ones, leading many women in particular, to develope yest infections while on antibiotics. Perhaps the increase in depressive illnesses these days could be linked to the massive amounts of antibiotics ingested in the feed of farm animals which we then in turn consume after slaughter, thus causing an overall imbalance in the systems of many people that don't eat yogurt or probiotic foods.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Yeah, the tigpoppa/bigtossa whatever; didnt tell you- the field of study for he/she/it was Proctology

This is where he/she/it first got a university insight in how to remove the silver spoon from their own ass!
Probably is not a doctors boot-lace!!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Well done on a good thread!

I only realised the severity of depression when my dad committed suicide about 12 years ago. Before then my attitude to depression was "get over it!!" Now very soberly I admit that depression is indeed a disease which is fatal if not treated and controlled in some way.

Did we see it coming? Did we see the signs? No. We had no idea what our dad was going through- I was totally ignorant.

I have three children, two of which are teenagers and have become increasingly aware of the amount of teens in our area who are suffering from depression. Sadly though, many parents dont see the signs and think that is is just "unruly teenager behaviour".

I have posted a link below which I feel is a MUST READ for all parents of teenagers.

www.helpguide.org...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

The best things in my life came to me when I gave up. I gave up after losing my job, in a place I loved, and would kill to go back to, and moved to find a job that I loved. Unfortunately, I was only able to do it for a short time before being injured badly, but that moved me into a job that I learned to like, and led me to meeting the person that has become my rock. She wasn't looking, and I hadn't even considered a relationship with her, until one night when we wound up sitting up all night talking and realized how much we had in common, and now I'm in the first functional relationship I've had in my life.

Now I'm done with that job, borderline homeless (rent is due again tomorrow, and I'm running out of things I can pawn for money), but I know that something will come along when I need it most. I've learned to not stress myself out over things, and to take life one day at a time. We are here to learn lessons, and as we learn each lesson, that chapter of our life closes off. The key is learning to let go of that chapter.

I'm 34 years old, have two bad knees, am facing at least two or three knee replacements on one of them, can't get anyone to even LOOK at it, because the first doctor to treat it screwed up, and I tell them that, have no job, can't do what I have training to do, and can't get money to get training to do something else. But I take it one day at a time, and sooner or later that door will open, and I'll go through it.

I still get depressed, and I still have days when I stress out, like today. I recognized a lot of the signs on depression setting in again, but I didn't let myself sink into it. I WILL find a way to get us through this, and when that opportunity comes up, everything will be ok again, until it's time to move to the next chapter of my life.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
My main concern with depression is the handling of this enigma by General Medical Practicioners .
Walk into a G.P's office, state that you fell depressed and cant cope, marvel at how quickly you are prescribed Zoloft, Efexor-ER etc.

Doctors love you to be depressed-so do pharmaceutical companies.
Although there still are a handful of doctors that still do give a hoot about your wellbeing- i know of about 2 in Sydney area.
Of course they are only human, and just doing a job, I'm sure a lot of them get so disgruntled with the system that they become complacent- as the system fails them also.
I guess the crushing blow would be, the understanding that the governments only allow them to practice so that they can push legal drugs, and supply mostly bogus treatments.
When truth be known the main healer is placebo of treatment on the mind!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

I was lucky in that the dr I was seeing at the time knew my family. My mother had been a receptionist at his office for many years. He gave me the Zoloft to try, but also recommended counseling. They can't prescribe it, but they can recommend and even help you to find a counselor in the area. I got a good counselor (cute too
). She really helped me come to grips with some things, but unfortunately I wasn't able to see her long enough to come to grips with the depression.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by KRISKALI777
My main concern with depression is the handling of this enigma by General Medical Practicioners .
Walk into a G.P's office, state that you fell depressed and cant cope, marvel at how quickly you are prescribed Zoloft, Efexor-ER etc.

Thats exactly what hapened to me...Zoloft made my jaw clench soo tight that it made my entire mouth sore for months, and Efexor just gave me bad anxiety!

A star and a flag from me for starting this thread Tentickles, Ive been suffering from depression for almost 10 years now. And its this kind of awareness that may have helped me in my early stages had it been this easy to find.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Cool, people seriously need to know about this horrible "illness".

It was only 24 hours ago that I was googling "how to kill yourself peacefully"...

I've been dealing with this s*** for several years. I don't tell anyone, because I know they probably won't understand. People say "harden up", "grow some balls". If only they knew what it felt like to be suffering from this. You can't simply harden up, that's not how it works. Something is off in your brain and it causes some strange stuff to happen. I don't ask for sympathy, I hate it when people sympathise over me.

Oh yeah and those little white pills the doctor prescribed me within a minute of seeing him for my first consultation? They make the whole thing worse. They turned me into a zombie, INCREASED my anxiety levels and actually made me feel worse. I tried two different types of anti-depressants.

I have a healthy lifestyle... exercise every two days, eat well, get plenty of sleep. So far, I haven't "recovered" or "got better". Some days I feel great, but it only takes a few hours to go to the complete, opposite end of the scale.

The only thing keeping me for doing the next step is, well, my family. I know what my Mum is like when her pet rabbit dies, it would be horrible for them.

Don't know how long I'll be here for though, lets see how I feel tomorrow...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo515

About 6 years ago, I was on efexor for about 4-5 months. I felt like I was on Amphetamines and it also played havoc with my bowels.
Then after a spell, I went onto Zoloft which made my head feel numb; a definite numbness in the occipital area of my skull, and I felt "out-of-it "all the time. I reduced my dosage which was better.
Its funny how they give you the drugs and after that your on your own; work out your own dosage regime etc etc.
Glad to say I'm out of that situation now and haven't looked back.
Its interesting to note the views of individuals that have never experienced depression.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join