It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Frightening, Unsolved and Disturbing Incident of Nine Dead Skiers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Well, if you would have read on you would have seen that one of the 10 skiers fell ill thus leaving----drumroll----nine.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I wish ATS could provide along threads a pool, so when
a good mistery thread comes, we can choose whats the
'explanation'....

Im with 'aliens found them and dissect them', because it fits better with
all circunstances....

Poor souls..

[]´s
RP

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
Most importantly, the reporter/writer doesn't explain the significance of these radiation levels. Is the reader supposed to draw their own conclusions?

I took it from several sources. There are links on the first page provided by myself, and others, adn yes you are supposed to draw your own conclusions if information is not available...thought that would be obvious

I don't know if you wrote this story, or if it was lifted from some other publication, but whom ever wrote it needs to take a writing class. When you tell a story, you have to not just report the "What", but you have to include the "Who, What, Where, When, Why, How".

Well sorry my writing skills arent up to your standards

If you check the surces on page one, you will notice that the majority of them are from journalists. Again, I didnt realise my grammar was on trial.

Also, I provided all available information that was available. The whole point was that this was a mystery, with a hint of a cover up by the Soviet government at the time. I dont know how you define mystery, but usually unsolved mysteries end up with unanswered questions

[edit on 9/4/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

S+F Nice mystery

Well hypothermia, madness, avalanche have been done so how about the less prosaic (ATS after all), let's see.

Quite reminiscent of cattle mutilations , no other prints, damage to internal organs as if dropped from a height, spheres, radiation, tongue removed.

Any takers ?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Apparently, records were released in 1990. I think this explanation sounds more reasonable:

The St. Petersburgh Times

Kuntsevich said he had led a group to the area last year and found a “cemetery” of scrap metal that suggested the military had conducted experiments there at some time.

“We can’t say what kind of military technology was tested, but the catastrophe of 1959 was man-made,” he said.

Yudin said the military might have found the tent before the volunteer rescuers. He said he had been asked to identify the owner of every object found at the scene and had failed to find a match for a piece of cloth that looked like it had come from a soldier’s coat, a pair of glasses, a pair of skis and a piece of a ski.

Yudin also said he had seen documents that led him to believe that the criminal investigation had been opened on Feb. 6, 14 days before the search team found the tent.

In 1990, the chief investigator, Lev Ivanov, said in an interview that he had been ordered by senior regional officials to close the case and classify the findings as secret. He said the officials had been worried by reports from multiple eyewitnesses, including the weather service and the military, that “bright flying spheres” had been spotted in the area in February and March 1959.

“I suspected at the time and am almost sure now that these bright flying spheres had a direct connection to the group’s death,” Ivanov told Leninsky Put, a small Kazakh newspaper. He retired in Kazakhstan and has since died.

The declassified files contain testimony from the leader of a group of adventurers who camped about 50 kilometers south of the skiers on the same night. He said his group saw strange orange spheres floating in the night sky in the direction of Kholat-Syakhl.

Ivanov speculated that one skier might have left the tent during the night, seen a sphere and woken up the others with his cries. Ivanov said the sphere might have exploded as they ran toward the forest, killing the four who had serious injuries and cracking Slobodin’s skull.

Yudin said he also thought an explosion had killed his friends. He said the level of secrecy surrounding the incident suggests that the group might have inadvertently entered a secret military testing ground. He said the radiation on the clothes supported his theory.

Kuntsevich agreed, saying another clue to the deaths was the fact that the faces of the first five bodies had been inexplicably tan. “I attended the funerals of the first five victims and remember that their faces look liked they had a deep brown tan,” he said.

Yudin also said the released documents contained no information about the condition of the skiers’ internal organs. “I know for sure that there were special boxes with their organs sent for examination, “ he said.

[edit on 9/4/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
A strange case, it reminded me of the Wendigo.

Whatever happened, their actions (or what we can try to imply from the what the articles tell us about the clues on the ground) were strange, and I can find no explanation to this case.

One more case for my list of strange cases.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Good points there to consider. Interesting to see that the lead investigator has some doubts about the events that took place.

I think I remember reading something about militray personnel witnessing "flying spheres" in the region, quite close to the dates on which it occured. If anyone can dig this up it would be great

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Apparently, records were released in 1990.

Im always skeptical of "reasonable" explanations published 40 years later.

Great Read OzWeatherman!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

One word, two lines:

Avalanche.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
And this obvious government operation- like the lazer made crop ciricles and the gutted livestock near nuclear facilities in the US- are supposed to be via alien abduction or something? Wake up people and stop being manipulated by nonsense. Are we back in the middle ages so easily?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by solo32_98

One word, two lines:

Avalanche.

Avalanche eh

Well how come they did not try to repair their tent or even make a temporary shelter out of what they had?

Why did they not try to head back to their last camp to seek better shelter?

Just saying its an avalanche isnt a decent challenge

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by raptor28
"rule out extremely non-parsimonious explanations."

[edit on 9-4-2009 by raptor28]

I like the way this sounds, but it may be too much to hope for, for some of us.

;o)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

I have an idea of what possibly *might* have happened. I am assuming this is Russia the incidents took place in? Forgive my ignorance if it was not. Anywho...1959 wasn't Russia supposedly testing out a bunch of nuclear devices? It's a stretch, but perhaps, a stealth team of government secret agents stalked these individuals on their skiing expedition to test out top secret warfare devices on them and study the effects. I mean, how many prying eyes would be trekking through all that snow and bad weather to be a witness? It was the perfect setup to do some guniea pig experiments and leave little to no trace. Some of it could have been aerial assault with top secret aircraft, who knows what the governments of the more powerful nations has stashed in their basements? The lady who had her tounge cut out sounds remarkably similar to cattle mutilation phenomena. This is some eerie hoodoo sure enough. Maybe there is no such thing as "aliens", maybe they are cyborg droid-like beings created by the governments to do "dirty work" for whatever nefarious reason so humans aren't associated with it? Just my thoughts.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Most peculiar. I had never heard of this incident before.

The avalanche scenario doesn't seem right to me for various reasons, but I guess this is one of those deals where the actual facts will never be known.

A very interesting case. I'll have to read up on it some more.

S & F

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seasick
It's a stretch, but perhaps, a stealth team of government secret agents stalked these individuals on their skiing expedition to test out top secret warfare devices on them and study the effects.
I don't think that method a good one.

Would they wait there for a group of skiers to appear, without knowing who they were, just to follow and make experiments?

It doesn't look like a professional way of doing things, Communists are very well organised and like thinks prepared in advance, a system like this does not look like the work of a government related group.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
It doesn't look like a professional way of doing things, Communists are very well organised and like thinks prepared in advance, a system like this does not look like the work of a government related group.

I agree

And there would also be an intense military operation to cover up any tracks left by military personnel. Remember that only the tracks of the nine skiers were found. Also, Im assumin that if the Soviet military wanted them dead, they wouldve done a better job of making the witnesses "dissapear"

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
(Forgive the quick post...I'm at work and needing to get some stuff done, but ya gotta love ATS
). Could the tongue have been removed by a predatory animal? Maybe they were killed by human ways but after death, a carnivorous animal took what flesh it could in a quick matter of time? Just an idea...hope to post more later!!

S&F...really interesting!!!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Eighty59

Like Fett Pinkus said on this post, it would leave marks on the face.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is the original thread on this subject.
This has been discussed on here before. There is plenty of discussion on the subject from a dead thread from awhile ago. Maybe some more incite to this "new" thread on this old subject.
regards
mc

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
People do tend to shed clothing during the onset of acute hypothermia.

There was a case of this happening not too long ago on Mt. Hood. Snowbound in a car and the guy goes for help... They find him only a quarter mile from his car (he had made a really large loop) and he had shed nearly all of his clothing.

I don't buy the animal idea. I doubt wild animals would go after people exposed to radiation.
Animals are very keen to these sorts of things. Dogs won't walk into crop circles... birds won't fly over them... etc.

Also, dogs can smell cancer in the body. Surely animals would detect the dangerous radiation and stay away.

Great story, OZ. Never heard of it. S&F

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join