It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep Solar Minimum

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
The sun is making the scientists on earth look bloody stupid. We could have 100 times more cars, and still would be ok. It is only about control.

The sun being asleep has shown us, who really controls this planets weather, although weather manipulation goes on.

I love George Carlin when he talks about people referring to the "fragile" Earth. Mother Earth could shake us off with all our problems were causing in about one second, like a case of fleas.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Looks like it is time to launch a nuclear armed craft into the sun to kick start it! Heaven forbid that that damned star should actually screw up all those hefty investments being made based on the carbon tax and global warming.
Sort of reminds me of the movie Sunshine that came out a couple years ago.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Q_Llama

Do you have any idea the kind of nuclear force necessary to create any sort of decent reaction from the sun? If it worked at all it would need a bomb the size of Jupiter to have any effect (thats just a rough guess on my part there). Sheesh even if it only needed a bomb the size of our Moon it would still not be feasable in the slightest.

A simple spacecraft armed with nukes would have no more effect on the Sun than one has when they pick a pimple on one's face.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Brent Miller and the Horizen Project are correct. Even Nasa is now admitting it.

www.disinfomatrix.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by george_gaz
Hey,

OK this is not my strongest subject so bear with me

I was under the impression that the sun was heating up and this was a claim that people made when trying to debunk Global Warming / Climate Change. So if the sun was heating up it mean that humans were not the major cause for the CO2 issue.

Sunspots are areas of the sun with reduced surface temperature, right? So does this mean that the sun is not in fact heating up but getting colder?

The sun was heating up.....up until a few years ago, when it shut down. Sun spot activity is associated with solar flare activity. Though the sun spots are cooler on the suns surface, the solar flares throw a lot of heat our way. No sunspots means fewer solar flares and cooler temperatures for earth.

But don't take my word for it. My memory is not what it used to be.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
People worrying about solar flares shouldn't. They normally orginate around sunspot groups.

We have been discussing this in my astronomy class.

Historically when these occur the planet cools and there is little solar activity, e.g. few to no flares.

We have only been recording sunspot cycles for the last 150 years or so and scientists have been able to reconstruct cycles going back around 250 years. Beyond that we can actually detect periods of solar minimums using tree rings.

Based on the info from the rings, when minimums happen they correspond with cooling.

One interesting thing is that during solar minimums is when space travel is much safer. So if there are any ETs based on hard science out there it would be good time to visit the Sol System....or invade it!

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
"we wont have enough heat stored up in the oceans" ???? hahahaha....

[edit on 2-4-2009 by daersoulkeeper]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Originally posted by pieman
dismissing all the research based on some fluctuations in the solar sunspot cycle is incredible. there is less evidence that sunspots effect atmospheric temperature than CO2 but you're happy enough to go along with the idea, why is that?

So basically what you are saying is that the Sun affects the earths temperature less than "Greenhouse Gasses".

No offense but that is absolutely ridiculous.

Well No offense but why don't you back that up with a little evidence rather then an offensive implication

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I like to consider myself a pretty environmental person, I dont even use heat in my own home. But the fact is that all planet in our system have heating and cooling periods in relation to one another and the sun. They all warm at the same time and cool at the same time. They dont have humans releasing gas in their atmosphere. I am not saying we should all drive huge trucks, but the earth is self containing the carbon will be absorbed by or turned into coal or oil then put back into the atmosphere or react and become other gasses. We all no you cant make something out of nothing, and it makes no sense to say that carbon is the only gas that just stays in the atmosphere. If this is true then given enough time everything would become carbon.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by daersoulkeeper
"we wont have enough heat stored up in the oceans" ???? hahahaha....

[edit on 2-4-2009 by daersoulkeeper]

I fail to see the humor in that statement. The oceans do store the sun's energy. That's why your local river. creeks, ponds, and lakes heat up in the summer time. If you are far enough north, it is why lakes don't freeze over until long after the air temperatures have started dropping below freezing, usually late November or early December.

With the oceans covering two thirds of the planet, the energy stored therein creates a buffer so we don't feel such an abrupt cooling effect due to the sun's low activity.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
ive been reading some of the comments and i dont think some people get it. yes global warming is BS, but climate change is real, but what politicans say that we are causing this climate change is pure BS.

i guess the guys at SOHO was right, 2012 will be the most powerful solar maximum we've ever seen.

ive also read somewhere that solar maximums this large will cause auroras to appear near the equator, which probably what those mayans were talking about.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 180attoseconds
ive been reading some of the comments and i dont think some people get it. yes global warming is BS, but climate change is real, but what politicans say that we are causing this climate change is pure BS.

i guess the guys at SOHO was right, 2012 will be the most powerful solar maximum we've ever seen.

ive also read somewhere that solar maximums this large will cause auroras to appear near the equator, which probably what those mayans were talking about.

Only time will tell. were the mayans around the last time there were auroras at the equator. If not then how would they know about them???? I know something big is going down. I thing that those of us that are ready and willing to trancend will achieve a higher conciousness.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Here is an article that was posted today it states due to the suns deep solar minimum the next solar cycle maximum may very well be below average in 2012 or 2013.
www.universetoday.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 180attoseconds

If we are truly in a deep solar minimum, which appears so, it is highly unlikley we will have an extreme solar maximum 3 years from now.

Deep solar minimums last for decades.

During such deep solar minimums the averaged 11 year sunspot cycle continues. At the cycle's solar maximum a few sunspots will show up. Usually numbering less than ten.

Note the 11 year number is an average as well. The cycles are anywhere from 9 to 12 years. The next maximum, with the few sunspots, could easily be past 2012.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

So what if we're seeing the lowest sun activity in a century, big deal. Humankind has lived through a lot worse than the little ice age and all without the technology we have today. Of course if it really starts to dip and makes a habit out of it we could be facing another Big Ol' Ice Age, which is not at all good news for most of us humans.

But its too early to call it either way now, heck that's the problem with this whole Global Warming hype, people are taking one look at the results, falsely assigning cause and effect, and not waiting for further data to support their claims. The alarmists on both sides will shout about catastrophe, ice ages and melting ice caps causing massive storms and deadly floods, but I'm gonna need to see more evidence to prove its a serious problem and not just a slight solar-climate trend.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SemperParatusRJCC

i dont get the "higher consciousness" thing people talk about.

i read somewhere that the mayans/aztecs saw the auroras as their god quetzalcoatl. they describe it as looking like a snake w/ multicolored feathers.

w/ solar minimum like this, the solar max in 2012 could be strong enough to act like an EMP, enough to scrap all electronic equipment. i think the temperature will go back to normal after 2012.

just a thought, you guys heard of david wilcock? hes the guy w/ that grand unification theory. he also says that there is a region on planets and stars where theres always some geological activity. like in jupiter is the red spot, in our sun its the spot where huge sunspots apear, on earth its the most active volcano in hawaii. just brought it up , could be connected.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

this is from wiki

en.wikipedia.org...

"The last solar maximum was in 2001, and the next one should be sometime in 2012. On March 10, 2006 NASA researchers announced that the next cycle would be the strongest since the historic maximum in 1958 in which the northern lights could be seen as far south as Rome, approximately 42° north of the equator. [1] This projection was based on research done by Mausumi Dikpati of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)."

solar minimum started probably late 07 early 08, solar max would probably be 2012 or 13

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Well if we go into a LIA this will be a way for the Earth to shake off these "excess fleas" that are exceding the capacity of earth. Anyone have any estimates of what the death toll would be from a LIA?

-Kdial1

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

couldnt agree more w/ ya. the only thing im concerned about this is w/ temperatures fluctuating wildly, weather will probably become more violent. and the sun releasing energy on solar max that could act like a global electromagnetic pulse.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 180attoseconds

During a deep solar minimum few sunspots will show up in the maximum when ever that happens 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.

That means little activity. Solar flares erupt from sunspot groups. Less sunspots mean less flares. Few sunspots mean almost no flares.

I could sit here and try to explain but in short the Sun's magnetic field and its sectioned rotation( it doesn't rotate uniformly like ball, but it in slices) creates sunspots and leads to flares. This occurs on average in 11 years cycles before the magnetic poles on the Sun flip and another on average 11 year cycle begins. Solar maximums are the height of these on average 11 year cycles, meaning when the most sunspots appear. In past deep solar minimums sometimes less than ten sunspots were recorded at the maximums.

So there is nothing to worry about.
Well at least worrying about flares.

If I lived in Northern Europe, Alaska and Canada I would be a little worried though.

The last little ice age caused massive crop failures, famine and other such fun in the far northern hemisphere.

The Little Ice Age by anthropology professor Brian Fagan of the University of California at Santa Barbara, tells of the plight of European peasants during the 1300 to 1850 chill: famines, hypothermia, bread riots, and the rise of despotic leaders brutalizing an increasingly dispirited peasantry. In the late 17th century, writes Fagan, agriculture had dropped off so dramatically that "Alpine villagers lived on bread made from ground nutshells mixed with barley and oat flour." Finland lost perhaps a third of its population to starvation and disease.

The Little Ice Age in Europe
www2.sunysuffolk.edu...

[edit on 2/4/09 by MikeboydUS]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join