It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep Solar Minimum

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Technically, we're in an Ice Age right now. For the past 11,000 years or so, we've been in an interglacial period, which is a warmer period between glaciations. A stadial is a cooler period during a warm interglacial period. The Little Ice Age was a stadial. I don't think we're headed towards an active Ice Age/glacial period, but a stadial is not out of the question if the solar activity doesn't pick up.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

www.etheric.com...

www.etheric.com...

Please view this image link before reading onwards.

One of a collection of many graphs and diagrams in LaViolette's book, showing information from various ice core samples, radio astronomy maps, & geological studies of species extinction. For reader interest, he also includes evidence from mythology, the tarot, astrology, prophecy and hypnotic progression ! The book is a tour-de force, but not a little frightening. Here we can see where a mass extinction coincides with the start of a period lasting over a thousand years, of high solar flare activity due to cosmic dust from a Galactic superwave. This happened 12,700 years ago, which is half a precessional period. If this reminds you of item 32, where geologist Greg Braden predicted a geomagnetic reversal, linked to a 13,000 year cycle, LaViolette confirms that at that time "...the intensity and declination of the earth's magnetic field underwent major variations in step with the eleven-year sunspot cycle. The amplitude of these cycles was hundreds of times larger than modern geomagnetic solar cycles, suggesting that solar flare activity at that time was also hundreds of times more intense, approaching levels normally observed in T Tauri stars." Here’s a more detailed review by a reader: If true, one of the most important books ever. If the central thesis of EARTH UNDER FIRE is correct, this is one of the most important books ever written. Although it would take a team of very independent-minded scientists from at least a dozen different disciplines to make a solid assessment of the various novel claims & interpretations made here, LaViolette's theory does what all good new theories do: it takes a variety of disparate, previously neglected or unaccounted for facts and weaves them into a new perspective in which they fit together seamlessly like pieces of a puzzle. LaViolette proposes a new version of quantum mechanics which applies nonlinear dynamical ideas from Prigogine to the long-neglected, but never disproven, notion of the ether. LaViolette says this model predicts that the galactic core is not a blackhole, but a supermassive energy object which explodes (or beats like a heart?) periodically. This pulsation sends out a wave of cosmic rays which then fill the solar system with interstellar gas, occluding sunlight, and increasing solar flare activity. LaViolette builds on recent work by Graham Hancock, Robert Bauval, John Anthony West, et al., and argues that the sphinx/pyramid complex, the zodiac and the tarot were all time capsule messages to future generations about the last time this event hit earth, with catastrophic consequences (about 13,000 years ago). If the indications from the Mayan calendar are correct, another such wave may be incoming around 2012 AD. That gives us fourteen years to prepare, if these numbers handed down from ancient astronomers, and polar ice core samples, are anything to go by. While the central hypothesis, and the various interpretations that follow from it, are highly unorthodox, there is next to nothing of the flaky fringe science/UFOlogy/New Age vibe in this book. And LaViolette's astronomically based deciphering of the sphinx/zodiac "cryptogram" provides further evidence that there was indeed a technically advanced civilization on earth ("Atlantis") which appears to have been largely extinguished by the proposed 'superwave' catastrophe, which also brought the last ice age to an end. We can only hope LaViolette is wrong, or if he is right, that we are in the 26,000 year lull between superwaves, rather than the 13,000 year half cycle. If the latter, the information contained in this book should be broadcast globally, with international interdisciplinary conferences convened immediately. Let's hope LaViolette is completely wrong, but just in case

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
NASA is another one that can't friggin make up their minds. Towards the end of the article it insinuates that they are now going to be expecting a below average solar maximum (see 2012 info), whereas for months they've been saying that it could very well be an extremely powerful and potentially damaging solar maximum. Either they have no idea what is going on or they are tossing around alot of misinformation.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Very very interesting. S&F!
Coincides with my whole CME, 2012, knowing dilemma I've been in. Just been noticing a lot of different references for all this solar activity and CME's and 2012 stuff.

I'm not saying anything will happen or won't.
I do have to admit however that the lull before the storm mention is what first popped into my head upon reading this as the general topic has been on my mind lately.

Anyway, time will tell. Hope for the best.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jackieps1975

We have no idea.

We have no idea how the Sun's magnetic field works. The Solar dynamo is little understood.

The real problem here is people accepting theory as fact. NASA and other astronomers release theories and averaged numbers that people assume are concrete facts.

For instance people so pegged on the 2012 date. The 11 year cycle is an average not a standard. The original expected Solar Maximum could be averaged out to 2012, but what that really means is anywhere from 2010 to 2014.

In 2006 everything seemed to be right on track when the orginal theory was presented by NASA. The truth is we have no control over the sun. We have only been observing sunspot cycles for around 150 years. The emergence of a Deep Solar minimum throws a monkey wrench into all of that.

People must understand that science is theory. Theory that is changing, often based on consensus. It is not religion and offers no eternal truths. Especially in regards to the sun and the stars much information is infered. We don't know what the temperature of the sun is directly but we can infer from data collected that gives us a good idea.

We understand so little of the universe around us. So expect NASA and all other scientists to continue the search for knowledge that is ever changing and growing.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Ocean levels are obviously cyclic over periods of time and based on the glaciations that occur over large areas of land mass, thus changing the level of oceans.

Based on assumed factors that the worlds mass and volume of water in liquid and solid form is roughly fixed, excluding the small fractional amount in the air, and the land mass is roughly static in form or placement for the last million years, then the largest influencing variable is heat.

Using this reference chart for the last million years then you can see that there is an approximate maximum ocean level that we are presently enjoying.

en.wikipedia.org...:Sea_level_temp_140ky.gif

With the trends that are so obvious and repeatable who is willing to say that this recent event that started 18 thousand years ago is special?

This argument does not refute the imperative necessity to ensure that the resources we use are utilized efficiently, and the output of our consumption should be clean as possible or practical..

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SemperParatusRJCC

I would like to agree about a higher consciousness and appreciate your post but the skeptic in me feels that the higher consciousness aspect is a scapegoat of comfort used to potentially deny the coming events. So I hope you are right.

But like you said, time will tell.
It always does.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

As the solar system lines up with the center of the galaxy, perhaps the huge black hole at the center is somehow drawing off energy from the sun.

Maybe there is a plasma stream, as yet undetected from the sun, going in the direction of the black hole.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Could less sun spots mean that the ones that do appear produce more powerful flares? Or maybe this is a better question; Does sunspot frequency have any bearing on how powerful sun flares are?

I am asking everyones opinion, but i guess what im getting at is, maybe there will be fewer sun spots releasing fewer flares, but maybe the flares that are released will be stronger.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
The sun is making the scientists on earth look bloody stupid. We could have 100 times more cars, and still would be ok. It is only about control.

The sun being asleep has shown us, who really controls this planets weather, although weather manipulation goes on.

Well it all depends on where you put more cars. It is true that there is polution, but people have to understand the difference between polution, and CO2.

CO2, is not a pollutant even if the EPA says the contrary. The EPA has also tried to make water vapor a pollutant, that's how absurb this issue has become.

It is true that there are environmental concerns, but those have nothing to do with atmospheric CO2.

Environmentalists, and we all should be concerned about issues such as the plastic islands found in the oceans, and the toxic materials being released into rivers, lakes and oceans by companies who have moved over-seas, to nations that do not care much about the environment, but care nore about making money.

The oceans also have had to deal with more atmospheric CO2, and it did not become overly acid, and there were no mass extinctions in the oceans with much higher concentrations of atmospheric CO2. However, I am not talking about the mass extinction events which have occurred on Earth.but rather on those other times when atmospheric CO2 was stil a lot higher than now, and life flourished instead of died.

We also know for a fact, that the green biomass in land, and oceans, at least in the northern hemisphere has increased exponentially.

Surprise: Earths’ Biosphere is Booming, Satellite Data Suggests CO2 the Cause
Until the 1980s, ecologists had no way to systematically track growth in plant matter in every corner of the Earth — the best they could do was analyze small plots of one-tenth of a hectare or less. The notion of continuously tracking global production to discover the true state of the globe’s biota was not even considered.

Then, in the 1980s, ecologists realized that satellites could track production, and enlisted NASA to collect the data. For the first time, ecologists did not need to rely on rough estimates or anecdotal evidence of the health of the ecology: They could objectively measure the land’s output and soon did — on a daily basis and down to the last kilometer.

The results surprised Steven Running of the University of Montana and Ramakrishna Nemani of NASA, scientists involved in analyzing the NASA satellite data. They found that over a period of almost two decades, the Earth as a whole became more bountiful by a whopping 6.2%. About 25% of the Earth’s vegetated landmass — almost 110 million square kilometres — enjoyed significant increases and only 7% showed significant declines. When the satellite data zooms in, it finds that each square metre of land, on average, now produces almost 500 grams of greenery per year.

wattsupwiththat.com...

[edit on 2-4-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
As a result, some people have falsely claimed that a similar period of low sunspot activity would result in similar low temperatures today. It would not. The Maunder Minimum came during a period of already low temps. A better analogy would be a similar low sunspot period during the preceding Roman/Medieval Warm Period (but unfortunately we don;t have records going back that far!)

Of course, it'll be a couple of decades before we can say we're in another Maunder type minimum

Exactly what evidence do you have to make your claim that a period of low activity in the Sun will not cause another LIA?

Yes, it is true that there were already low temperatures before the Maunder Minimum, but that doesn't mean the sun's activity before the Maunder minimum was high.

IMO you are the one falsedly assuming, and making claims which make no sense.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
I have noticed that winters are colder every year, could this be due to a worsening solar minimum?

Yes it is.

Over the past couple of years researchers have found more evidence that the Sun's activity is not only the main driver of Earth's climate, but that it also causes earthquakes, and other natural disasters.

I will be posting some of that research, I just have to fid it.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by george_gaz
Hey,

OK this is not my strongest subject so bear with me

I was under the impression that the sun was heating up and this was a claim that people made when trying to debunk Global Warming / Climate Change. So if the sun was heating up it mean that humans were not the major cause for the CO2 issue.

Sunspots are areas of the sun with reduced surface temperature, right? So does this mean that the sun is not in fact heating up but getting colder?

The Sun was heating up, and in fact was at it's highest activity during the late 20th century and at the early start of the 21st century, and this increased activity during that time was the highest in at least 1,000 years, until three, or four years ago or so.

The Sun's activity has been steadily decreasing, and I mean ALL of it's activity, starting from the magnetic field of the Sun, it's geomagnetic storms, Sunspots, CMEs, TSI, and even the Solar Wind, all of this decreased activity has had scientists worried, because if it continues we will be soon finding ourselves in another LIA, or worse. That is of course, unless the Sun's activity increases once more.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Q_Llama
Looks like it is time to launch a nuclear armed craft into the sun to kick start it! Heaven forbid that that damned star should actually screw up all those hefty investments being made based on the carbon tax and global warming.
Sort of reminds me of the movie Sunshine that came out a couple years ago.

I think you were being sarcastic, despite the $2 dollar Hollywood movies claiming mankin has control over the forces of the universe including the Sun, this is not true.

We do not ahve the technology, or access to the kind of power needed to "restar the Sun, nor do w have the power to even restar the Earths core.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix

The sun was heating up.....up until a few years ago, when it shut down. Sun spot activity is associated with solar flare activity. Though the sun spots are cooler on the suns surface, the solar flares throw a lot of heat our way. No sunspots means fewer solar flares and cooler temperatures for earth.

But don't take my word for it. My memory is not what it used to be.

You are right, the surface of the Sun is cooler than the corona, which is why we see the center of sunspost black. When a sunspot occurs, the center of the Sunspot opens up and you can see the surface of the sun, which gives great credence to the Electric Universe theory.

In this theory everything is connected by electric fields through plasma. Although some people ahve tried to disprove this theory because we haven't as far as i know detected electrons flowing towards the Sun, if the electrons have low energy, unless we tune in to the vibration of that low energy, we won't see the elctrons flowing towards the Sun.

What we have found is other evidence which supports the Electric Universe Theory, but that is for another discussion. Let's concentrate on the activity of the Sun.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Here is an example of the evidence which supports the fact that the Sun's activity not only affects Earth's climate, but also affects earthquakes, and other natural phonomenon.

Information - SM11 Sun-earth connection triggers Earthquakes

It has been observed that before the occurrence of an earthquake anomalous change in various environmental parameters of the Earth. These parameters include thermosphere, ionosphere, atmosphere and lithosphere in space and time.

Correlation of changes in sunspots, star spots with the heliophysical , sun-earth environment and other cosmic activities and its influence on the earth are being studied since several years. It has been observed that some geo-physical parameter eg., Kp (planetary indices) and E-flux (electron flux) changes after the coronal mass ejection from the outer periphery of the sunspots. When the Kp (planetary indices) and E-flux (electron flux) changes suddenly it affects the environment of the earth.

This phenomenon changes the thermosphere ionosphere atmosphere and lithosphere locally as well as globally. The response of the magnetosphere to interplanetary shocks or pressure pulses can result in sudden injections of energetic particles into the inner magnetosphere. It has been recorded that 36 hours before the occurrence of earthquake Kp values and E-flux increases drastically.

After this increase sudden fall in Kp and E-fflux has been noticed before the earthquake and tsunami. The phenomenon was recorded before the Pakistan earthquake of 8th October 2005, Iran earthquake of 23rd February 2005,Sumatra earthquake on 26th December 2004 and Gujarat earthquake of 26th January 2001. Similar observations were recorded in other parts of the world. Deleneation of active faults by seismic microzonation coupled with sunspot activity studies has the proven potential for the triggering of an earthquake in space and time.

www.cosis.net...

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

NASA Discovers New Sun-Earth Connection

Spring is aurora season. For reasons not fully understood by scientists, the weeks around the vernal equinox are prone to Northern Lights. [...] This is a bit of a puzzle. Auroras are caused by solar activity, but the Sun doesn’t know what season it is on Earth [...]

Such outbursts are called auroral substorms and they have long puzzled space physicists. [...]

NASA’s THEMIS mission–a fleet of five spacecraft launched in Feb. 2007 to study the substorm phenomenon [...] may have found the substorm power supply–and a springtime connection:

“The satellites have detected magnetic ‘ropes’ connecting Earth’s upper atmosphere directly to the Sun,” says Dave Sibeck, project scientist for the mission at the Goddard Space Flight Center. “We believe that solar wind particles flow in along these ropes, providing energy for geomagnetic storms and auroras.”

It turns out that rope-like magnetic connections between Sun and Earth are favored in springtime. It’s a matter of geometry: As Earth goes around in its orbit, Earth’s tilted magnetic poles make different angles with respect to the Sun, tipping back and forth with a one-year cadence. Around the time of the equinox, Earth’s magnetic field is best oriented for “connecting-up” with the Sun. [...]

Geomagnetic disturbances are almost twice as likely in spring and fall vs. winter and summer, according to 75 years of historical records [...]

omniclimate.wordpress.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
So let me get this straight. We don't know enough about the Earth's climate cycle to realize if the Earth is really experiencing GW or not, But we know enough about the Sun's cycle, and its affect on Earth, to know if it is affecting climate change.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Superfluidity in the Solar Interior: Implications for Solar Eruptions and Climate
Journal Journal of Fusion Energy
Publisher Springer Netherlands
ISSN 0164-0313 (Print) 1572-9591 (Online)
Issue Volume 21, Numbers 3-4 / December, 2002
DOI 10.1023/A:1026250731672
Pages 193-198
Subject Collection Engineering
SpringerLink Date Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Oliver K. Manuel1 , Barry W. Ninham2, 3 and Stig E. Friberg4

(1) University of Missouri, Rolla, MO, USA.
(2) Universities of Florence and Cagliari, Italy
(3) Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
(4) Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY, USA

Abstract Efforts to understand unusual weather or abrupt changes in climate have been plagued by deficiencies of the standard solar model (SSM) [1]. Although it assumes that our primary source of energy began as a homogeneous ball of hydrogen (H) with a steady, well-behaved H-fusion reactor at its core, observations instead reveal a very heterogeneous, dynamic Sun.

As examples, the upward acceleration and departure of H+ ions from the surface of the quiet Sun and abrupt climatic changes, including geomagnetic reversals and periodic magnetic storms that eject material from the solar surface are not explained by the SSM.

The present magnetic fields are probably deep-seated remnants of very ancient origin. These could have been generated from two mechanisms. These are (1) Bose-Einstein condensation [2] of iron-rich, zero-spin material into a rotating, superfluid, superconductor surrounding the solar core and/or (2) superfluidity and quantized vortices in nucleon-paired Fermions at the core [3].
Climate - solar magnetic fields - solar cycle - Bose-Einstein condensates

www.springerlink.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This is from 2002.

Sun's Magnetic Activity Varies In 100,000-Year Cycles

Thanks to new calculations by a Dartmouth geochemist, scientists are now looking at the earth's climate history in a new light.
Mukul Sharma, Assistant Professor of Earth Sciences at Dartmouth, examined existing sets of geophysical data and noticed something remarkable: the sun's magnetic activity is varying in 100,000-year cycles, a much longer time span than previously thought, and this solar activity, in turn, may likely cause the 100,000-year climate cycles on earth.

This research helps scientists understand past climate trends and prepare for future ones.

Published in the June 10 issue of Earth and Planetary Science Letters (Elsevier, volume 199, issues 3-4), Sharma's study combined data on the varying production rates of beryllium 10, an isotope found on earth produced when high-energy galactic cosmic rays bombard our atmosphere, and data on the past variations in the earth's magnetic field intensity.

With this information, Sharma calculated variations in solar magnetic activity going back 200,000 years, and he noticed a pattern.

Over the last 1 million years, the earth's climate record has revealed a 100,000-year cycle oscillating between relatively cold and warm conditions, and Sharma's data on the sun's magnetic activity corresponded to the earth's ice age history.

www.unisci.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join