It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rise Of The ATS Invertebrate: or, it takes a spine to be a conspiracy theorist.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mandroid
I can't believe the exoskeletonism I am hearing around here. Is anyone else really bugged by this?

I don't know what that means.

What does that mean?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

I would say that reporting people for jumping on your story or opinion would be an example of not being willing to get the thicker skin this thread is suggesting.

If someone makes a claim, it is their responsibility to support it.

If I made a claim that you, for instance, were a dis-info agent sent here to ruin ATS, you wouldnt want people to just take me at my word would you? You would want me to be challenged, and be asked to provide proof, and if I refused, you would hope I would be called "hoaxer."

Skepticism and criticism are very good things. They just need to be tempered with civility and decorum.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I'd love for the mods to allow a good ol' fashioned scream fest complete with colorful nouns and verbs used. Won't happen .. but I can dream ..

Now THAT would be an awesome forum, "The Cage" (like you see in Ultimate Fighting Championships) where there are no rules, let the blood flow, no crying heeded.

I know they cant do it, because of the need to filter cussing, etc., but I would love to see it.

I personally enjoy some of the more heated debates, even if I am not participating. (Often especially if I am not participating
)

Yea can we do it in the RATS forum,

Let's separate the men from the boys around here baby.

I would have you all in tears and I am female,

Prolly tears of laughter.

I wanna get in a cage with Bill.

Please,

By the way i hear cussing is good stress relief.

[edit on 083131p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Yeah I know what you mean. Most of the things discussed can't be proven which makes "I don't see it that way. Prove it". A silly statement at best.

Don't see that much wrong with "I don't see it that way because yada yada yada" but the yada's are often not much more than 'because I said so'. You'd think people would get tired of that sort of thing in a hurry. But-

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Far too often I find the definition of some of the words people use is not the intended meaning mostly from not fully understanding how these words are defined. However there are times it is intentional for the purpose of deception and disinformation.

The psychology behind the true meaning of words and how they effect us goes very deep and because of this I point out errors when I see them. The term 'Anti-war protester', for example, is a double negative and the correct term would likely be 'Peace activist'. I have been told that I am being too literal with words or maybe my definitions are too defining which ironically seems to further support my point.

1. Conspiracy; a plan created by 2 or more people.
  2. Theory; a collection of observations and thoughts that attempts to explain events and contribute information.
  3. Debunk; an attempt to destroy a theory and adds nothing to the discussion but possibly confusion.
  4. Skeptic; one who does not accept nor deny anything without question (even ignorance).

I think the reason there is so much animosity over these issues is that we see in the opposing argument some truth that we are unable to accept just yet and even worse if it contradicts the fallacies in our argument that we are not willing to face.

What we see in other people remind us of ourselves so to judge someone is to judge oneself, we cannot hate another without hating ourselves as well and to love someone is to find the love that is inside us. We cannot know that which we have not yet experienced.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Excellent point and just another name that can make a person think twice is the one in the title of this thread or its suggested meaning.... SPINELESS...

To actually classify people on the board as being Spineless because they have taken it upon themselves to follow the procedures laid down in the T&C and report a suspected offender. So anyone questioning this thread is therefore labeled as a spineless member.

IMHO of Course... (From one spineless bugger to the rest)

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I am the thickest skinned as they come, but patient I am not. And I am not patient with the amount of ignorance and sheeple in this world, and a few happen to log into this website daily.

I am talking about things like posting a photograph- and having someone say that it isnt real- or posting a personal story about a paranormal experience- and someone says its bull#- I mean really. I am not out to deceive people, although I know there are some people who enjoy it.

Regardless...

Why do I have to defend and prove myself in a forum? Am I wrong in assuming that ATS is also for Discussion of such topics? Not critical overanalyzations and people being jerks because they 'get off' on it. Seriously- there are enough people in this world that way outside of the internet.

Is EVERY post on ATS is supposed to be treated like a debate....

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

Thank You

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Exoskeletonism? Organisms with exoskeletons have external skeletons, usually made of chitin, and not an internal vertebral column (spine).

So, spineless-ness.
(Sorry it's kind of off-topic, just answering the question)

[edit on 3/29/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenFleece
Not to sound paranoid, but starting out with 9/11 and chemtrails almost sounds like a response to something I wrote...

No, it's not. However, those two topics have been a reoccurring backdrop among some of the complaints that inspired this thread.

Why do people spend all their free time on conspiracy sites if they don't believe in conspiracies?

Believe it or not, there are indeed people who are deeply interested in conspiracies, but do not believe everything is a conspiracy. Additionally, there are conspiracy theorists who, at times, appear to come across as dedicated debunkers from time to time in an effort to whittle the huge tree of information down to the sliver of truth.

I've been a mod myself and the only criticism I occasionally have is overly aggressive moderation.

Being on the staff of ATS is unlike any other discussion board online. There is no prior experience or comparisons that can be applied.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
We almost did ...remember the Slugfest?

And before that, the mud pit for anything-goes political debate.

It was terrible and created a cancer that infected the entire site. The regimen of intense treatment lasted six months before the site went into complete remission.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether
To actually classify people on the board as being Spineless because they have taken it upon themselves to follow the procedures laid down in the T&C and report a suspected offender. So anyone questioning this thread is therefore labeled as a spineless member.

You've completely misunderstood the entire point of the opening post.

The point is understand what is a real personal attack, and what is simply disagreement.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn

Is EVERY post on ATS is supposed to be treated like a debate....

Well, not to be causing a fight here, but on ATS, I would said "yes" every thread should be open for other opinions.

Even the owners tolerate opposing opinions in the Board Business forum, to me, that says as a member, I should expect no privilege the owners do not expect for themselves.

I can understand your frustration, however, anything I post I expect to be open to criticism. And, if I were to see a UFO, perhaps, and posted the crappy blurry photograph here I know I would take being too excited, I would know exactly what was coming.

Sure, it would be frustrating, especially if I had seen the little aliens peering out the window at me and I was SURE it was an alien craft, to hear people say, "Its a bird. Definitely a bird." Or, "hoax! if it were an actual photo why is it deliberately blurry? Huh? Huh?" Or whatever would surely follow, but thats the nature of posting controversial material. No matter how sure YOU are of what you saw, experienced, etc., it just isnt reasonable for you to expect that people who dont know you to just take you at your word without question.

Heck, my best friend in real would not take my word without question, I am sure the question would be, "And how many beers did you have before seeing this craft?" Or something equally sarcastic.

Blogs are for telling stories. You can blog all you want and no one can comment if you dont make a comment section. But the ATS forums are not a showcase for any of us as members. It isnt designed so that we can be stars. It is designed so that "denying ignorance" is the star of the show, and we all actors in that play. It seems designed to be inclusive, not exclusive, of people, of views, of opinions, etc.

Just my two cents.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I think this was your point...

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
But please, we ask that you (our members) do your part to understand that disagreement and criticism is not automatically uncivil impropriety... it is the nature of intelligent, thoughtful, and passionate debate. No one learns from a vanilla environment of like-minded people, knowledge and wisdom is acquired by testing the limits of our understand and having our ideas challenged. Embrace that challenge. You will be the better for it, and you will evolve a spine to be envied.

Quoting this, just because it really does deserve special recognition.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by loam]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

You've completely misunderstood the entire point of the opening post.

I seem to be doing that alot... sorry about that... I must be reading between the lines when there are no lines to read between...

Rgds

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I try to leave my ego at the door when I log onto ATS.
And take nothing personally.
I try and remember to comment on the subject, not the posters.
Simple but effective.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether
reply to post by Devino

Excellent point and just another name that can make a person think twice is the one in the title of this thread or its suggested meaning.... SPINELESS...

Spineless is a fictitious analogy that has no clear definition. My point is to observe the feelings words like this bring about in ourselves and how others react to them, this is the path of Understanding where answers are found.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

I agree and see the words use as only a way to inflict 'fictitious' pain among those that may feel it was directed at them...

Good for the goose? Good for the Gander...

Thanks
Rgds

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I guess this means that when you disagree with someone we will hopefully no longer see them foaming at the mouth yelling Nazi!!!! Holocaust!!!!!

Naah.. this is the interwebs after all. Sadly, it is still gonna happen from time to time. That is when I pull down on my tin foil hat, so their spittle doesn't get on me. Ahh... Alcoa is your friend when it comes to conspiracy sites.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
What constitutes an attack in your opinion?

Is it the use of certain words? (Like "evil" "hateful" "horrible" etc?) Or an overall negative tone?
I saw a post that said "I think all ____ should be killed". I hit the alert button because I consider any such blanket statement about a group, be it race, religion, creed, sexual orientation or other association, to be hate speech. The post did not get edited by mods.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join