It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Battle for or against Gun Rights. 2nd Amendment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Just some random thoughts the last couple weeks while riding around with friends and trying to find various reloading stuffs...

Anyone else feel SILLY about the whole gun thing lately? I mean, sure I would die for the right to defend the 2nd Amendment, for ALL AMERICANS to have whatever weapon they want.
I was raised around various weapons, and don't really think that guns are a big deal. They are a tool, like anything else. Just the huge deal lately is making me wonder what people think guns are. And why we rally around these few corporations with so much emotion and energy...

I mean, sure they are our RIGHT to protection against criminals, and supposedly tyranny.

I've also shot off bows and arrows... throwing daggers, whatever else seemed like fun at the time.

Still though, hasn't anyone had any more revolutionary, new thoughts as a model for something people could collect and protect themselves with?

Looking at the gun situation, you got millions of individuals and even entire armies rallying behind a few wealthy corporations that sell us these metal contraptions that have had the same basic build/idea eversince they were created.

No one else has come up with something that could be used and obsessed over? Sure, I might feel more pride if I built my own guns, yeah.

But seriously, we all rally behind these weapons that need materials that are apparently too easy to control. Isn't that our own fault for not being more creative?
This whole thing just feels silly now. I used to love guns a lot more, BEFORE everyone in town starting hoarding all the ammo shipments before the rest of us could get a little for plinging with. It feels ridiculous.

I'll be stocking huge hoards of .177... Maybe finding a way to make the Crosman 1377 into a semi-automatic.

Just wondered what others think lately, with everyone around going ape**** while unable to beat their neighbor to the ammo shipment at the local Bi Mart.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I'm a recent convert to the 2nd amendment. I found it exceedingly difficult to produce consistent arguments on behalf of the elimination of guns, because all it entailed was my trying to rationalize a reduction in one's need for private security. I kept trying to work around that one problem, almost dismissing it outright at times. Private security cannot simply be rationalized away. The problem lies totally in the realm of education, or a deficiency thereof. What the country needs is total cultural redesign in the form of a better education system and greater scientific awareness. People need to understand what exactly is the purpose of gun ownership; they must be properly educated of their responsibilities. It's different for everyone, but joining some kind of gun maintenance/firing club is an option for those who are not quite aware of their responsibilities.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by cognoscente]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
There IS no battle. Our right to own firearms IS in the Constitution. The Constitution must be changed if people want to abolish this protected right. Good luck with that. It's ridiculous really that people want to get rid of this right. Let's see what they have to say if you try and abolish other Constitutionally protected rights such as the freedom of religion, the freedom of the press or the right to free speech. There is no difference between any of them.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Just who the heck wants to get rid of the 2nd amendment? Certainly not enough people to have a hope of doing so. I think people may just be whipped up into a frenzy with alarmist claims such as these. Even Pelosi and Reid came out and said they wouldn't be pursuing any new gun laws.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
It's really not a matter of what anybody's opinion is. It's been a law since the inception of the Unite States Of America. It is a right provided by the Constitution.

It's really not something up for debate as far as I'm concerned. I am not American but I truly believe in the values that America was founded and built on. None of those rights have ever caused Americans any trouble. Only when the government puppets began manipulating the laws did things begin to sag.

This document you people have should be followed to the letter, as it is your founding principle. If we can't trust the US to stick to their own Constitution, what good is their word on anything else?

Yes guns are dangerous in the wrong hands, yes they provide an easy way out for criminals and mad men to fufill their twisted little fantasies. However it is a necessity in today's world to protect yourself against your government, especially one that is this disconnected with it's people.

You all have the right, have had the right for a very long time, nothing about that should change. This may be the turning point, where people finally see that their liberties are being stripped away one by one with clever little moves by your O so fantastic Commander In Chief.

If anything good can come out of this, it very well must be a better educated and aware public.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Haven't you heard of the Patriot Act and others that took those other Rights already?

Their control of the bullets is easier to get through without notice by average Americans. Say we are taking guns and the People would Revolt on principle, but the People are DUMB as a whole and as long as you call your tyranny and violations something nice or tell us how it could save one person, aint it worth it then?

The problem TPTB have about taking over America at any moment is not the average Joe with a gun, although we would give em hell. The problem is the Military and Police and ex Military and Police that wouldn't follow the orders to hurt Americans and would turn their guns, tanks, drones and planes to point the other direction, and these people are usually armed well and trained well.

TPTB control and own everything and can pretty much do as they want there is no protection from it. People need to think like the one poster in here said. "Individual Security", it is your responsibility to make sure you can protect your Individual Security" don't expect anyone else to help you...

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
Just who the heck wants to get rid of the 2nd amendment? Certainly not enough people to have a hope of doing so. I think people may just be whipped up into a frenzy with alarmist claims such as these. Even Pelosi and Reid came out and said they wouldn't be pursuing any new gun laws.

Since when do Pelosi and Reid say what they mean. It's all double talk. They might say they are against any new gun laws but their actions tell a difference story along with others in Congress.

Instead of saying what they believe they will try and do a run-around of the Constitution. There are proposals on the table which would tax ammo to the point of it being to expensive to purchase. Others want to make ammo so scarce that gun users cannot get ammo for their guns.

Other tactics include forcing gun owners to purchase an outrages amount of insurance in order to be allowed to express their 2nd Amendment right.

Insurance mandates for gun owners

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
There IS no battle. Our right to own firearms IS in the Constitution. The Constitution must be changed if people want to abolish this protected right. Good luck with that.

Agreed what theory, these 2nd amendment aint going anywhere, you will still be able to get a gun.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Originally posted by WhatTheory
There IS no battle. Our right to own firearms IS in the Constitution. The Constitution must be changed if people want to abolish this protected right. Good luck with that.

Agreed what theory, these 2nd amendment aint going anywhere, you will still be able to get a gun.

Yes, but you have to look out for the tactic of circumventing the Constitution by putting excessive legislation regarding licenses and permits which could prevent people from buying a gun. The same goes for ammo restrictions and insurance as I posted in a earlier post.

Another issue to be aware of are the liberal judges who think the Constitution is a breathing document. These people believe the 2nd Amendment does not apply to individuals but only to militias. Another 1 or 2 liberals on the Supreme Court and the "interpretation" of the 2nd Amendment could change.

[edit on 3/21/2009 by WhatTheory]

top topics

join