It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Wars Religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Star Wars and the impact it is having on our society. I would like a thread that is all about Star Wars and how we use the stat Wars knowlede in real life.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
There's no "Star Wars Religion". Actually Lucas used rudiments of existing religions like Taoism, Zen Buddhism and even Christianity.

Examples:

The light and dark side of the Force is analogous to the Yin and Yang duality of the Tao and the Force is also similar to Tai Chi and also to Qi. The practitioners of Taoism and Qi Gong, according to Taoist annals, can live upwards of 200 years. Many true Taoist masters eventually became "san" or spirit-like beings, immortals who could partake and interact in the day-to-day earthly activities, not unlike what Obi-Wan and Yoda become after their passing away, interacting and participating indirectly in the lives of the living. Taoism emphasizes smooth flow of the Qi originating from a balance of the Yin and Yang forces in all manifestations of life, including the human anatomy and the environment. The similarities with the duality of the Sith and Jedi being the dark and light extremes of the Force, which Anakin Skywalker, the "chosen one" is to finally "bring into balance."

Clearly, a "Chosen One" of the Force is similar to the Christian view of Jesus, in that it is an "Anointed" or "Chosen" or "Elect" One that redeems the Light and brings greater balance to "the Force".

The monastic tradition from Christianity, Hinduism, and Buddhism religions is echoed in the strict code by which the Jedi live. The Jedi do not seek after material possessions. Both Obi-wan and Yoda spent considerable time living as hermits. The Jedi code also forbids romantic love of any kind - making it similar to Catholic vows of celibacy.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
And I thought you were talking about Scientology. Which in my opinion is just like me writing a book about feces and then starting a religion about worshiping crap.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I heard once that in California, "Jedi" is recognized as a religion. For some reason, something like that coming from California doesn't surprise me.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Indeed. Lucas used alot of metaphors and archtypes in the SW story.

Some have suggested Lucas knew something alot more and his entire SW saga, along with a few others, are a type of historical story to what mankind "used" to be.

Its all interesting to ponder at least.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eecdafe5307b.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5b42fb4d6dff.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/069a2de969c6.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e0539e82feb7.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b4ef3ba8e195.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02efdbbe81f6.jpg[/atsimg]

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by raz24400
And I thought you were talking about Scientology. Which in my opinion is just like me writing a book about feces and then starting a religion about worshiping crap.

Someone has already beaten you to it.

Poop Worship

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Lucas credits Joseph Campbell with influence on Star Wars saga.

Campbell's influence on popular culture

Cinema

George Lucas was the first Hollywood filmmaker to openly credit Campbell's influence. Lucas stated following the release of the first Star Wars film in 1977 that its story was shaped, in part, by ideas described in The Hero With a Thousand Faces and other works of Campbell's. The linkage between Star Wars and Campbell was further reinforced when later reprints of Campbell's book used the image of Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker on the cover.[20] Lucas discusses this influence at great length in the authorized biography of Joseph Campbell, A Fire in the Mind:

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

I am a big fan of "Star Wars".

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by chipmunkrjcc
Star Wars and the impact it is having on our society. I would like a thread that is all about Star Wars and how we use the stat Wars knowlede in real life.

Well your topic only goes to show how religion is made up out of a bunch of fiction.

Thank you very much!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Star Wars is my religion and my life. Even though Star Wars basis itself on a lot of other religions i still live by the force and all its finer details.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

“Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.” Yoda was a very wise being. Do you think what he says here has any hidden meaning?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
If you are an Australian it is frowned upon to be a Jedi

Although i dont think they have actually fined anyone for it.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) has endeavoured to answer all questions posed by the public and the media relating to recording Jedi as a response to the question on religion in the 2001 Census, to be held Tuesday 7th August. The answers provided by the ABS are not always provided in full due to the constraints of the forums in which the questions have been asked.

www.abs.gov.au...!OpenDocument

[edit on 24-3-2009 by pazcat]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I just love to play Star Wars Roleplay, but I guess we get older and some people feel it's immature. Well I DON'T!! I created a character that took over Jaba the Huts criminal organization and even the Empire was giving a wary eye to him.

Man I'm a nerd, but I sure do miss playing. I don't think this contributes much to your thread, sorry.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosis111

This thread is all about Star Wars and anything that you have to say is a good contribution to me. I am the same way. Every since i was about ten years old i have loved Star Wars. Roleplaying or games or just talking about it is awesome.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This explains

SO

much about my husband.

[edit on 3/26/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

???? Your Husband.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Ive been a Jedi for many years now

People gotta be kidding, as if things werent complicated enough without making a new religion based on a movie??

The second coming of the Luke is almost upon us.

This is just too much now. Crossed the line.

You have now reached the dark side pal

[edit on 26-3-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by chipmunkrjcc

Yes because Star Wars IS a religion to him
I can't hardly walk though the house without bumping into a cardboard cut out of a Jawa or 3PO. And yes, I've heard him discuss the 'spiritual' aspects of SW. It seems to resonate with his Eastern/ Alan Watts thinking.

If I trip over one more light saber....

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Okay, I'll admit to being a huge Star Wars geek. I play the RPG, read the books, am an official member of a SW costuming club, and have a small shrine dedicated to Boba Fett.

I would never consider SW a religion. I've met a few people who claim to be followers of the "Jedi" religion, and all I can do is roll my eyes like I do with Scientologist. Its okay to like the SW universe, its okay to be obsessed with SW, but the people who want to be part of this "religion" are just looking for attention and think its cool.

They have been consumed by the dork side.

Plus, why Jedi? Jedi were boring, elitest, know-it-alls, and were taken down like punks because they thought they were the baddest boys out there and let thier guard down. Mandalorians are where the fun is, at least they have values.

Okay this is getting to dorky for me even...

[edit on 26-3-2009 by DropInABucket]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
reply to post by chipmunkrjcc

Yes because Star Wars IS a religion to him
I can't hardly walk though the house without bumping into a cardboard cut out of a Jawa or 3PO. And yes, I've heard him discuss the 'spiritual' aspects of SW. It seems to resonate with his Eastern/ Alan Watts thinking.

If I trip over one more light saber....

Too funny! A friend of mine's husband is like this. He is all about the Star Wars religion. he says he is a Jedi and lives by their rules. He is a nice smart guy but he cracks me up sometimes. He dressed up to all the movies and wears the Jedi Robe around at times. They too have all kinds of memorabilia. Their tree one year was a Star Wars tree. It was actually kind of cool.

Oh and his son is 5 and can kick my butt with all the light sabers they have...lol

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Ummm....... nope, I don't like Star Wars at all!

"The Force" bears absolutely no resemblance to "The Holy Spirit", "The Tao", "Brahma", "Zen", or "Quantum-Vacuum-Flux-Zero-Point-Radiant-Energy".

And there are NO extraterrestrials out there who look almost exactly like us, like in Star Trek and Star Wars.

There are NO Truths "Hidden in Plain Sight" in Hollywood movies, NONE.

Nothing to see here folks, nothing going on, move along, move along now!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join