It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the odds for life on a planet?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The odds?

The question is kinda wrong, in that respect. but let me make it simple.

1/0

that is the odds of you being here, 1 over not being here.. hence why we have the question of god.

I see alot of people make mathmatical lolness about suns ect but its alot more simple that what the people post.

Its the same odds as god making humans 1/0

Now the odds of why, is infact a higher number and the reason why its a higher number is because of a number of factors. the universe is 1 "and we dont know what it infact is" and his reason.

Or basicly P.I
its an infanant number as to why

but the probiblity of being here is 1 over 0

hope that helps, even if you dont understand it or you find it very simple i sugest you understand you are here and the odds are in our favour because we are here = 1 in mathmatical terms.

Thats why aliens are "out there" because You are here, and even if we are alll alone space, life is still infact out there.. YOU ; )

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AntiConspirator

The chance of life just being created is crazy low.

so why are you here?.

There is no chance in this game and god is a question.. not a "something" its a consiquence of being alive. its the mirror syndrome

I find it ironic people say things like that, created requires and ACT from something or someone to even ask or understand what you just said correct? so we have 2 choices.

God or natural "creation"..

They are both the same thing.. its a methord people tend to confuse creation with a "doing" like an abjective or a noun.

If god was tree that created a leaf would the leaf question the tree as to why its a leaf?

you aks the same question of you life when the tree is the very thing that made you a leaf "aka you"

funny dont you think?

Indivuality is the problem and the question also.. the probiblity of life is certen because we ourself prove it can and does happen, does it happen els were ?

well the rules of the game dont change just because your not on the same tree right?

unless earth and the universe is only one part of a tree?.. in another words dont be arrogant of ones self importance to think you are the only leaf on a very very very big tree..

You are not that special But you serve a purpuse

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by symmetricAvenger

Good point!
I wish there were more intelligent life on THIS planet!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

One word....octomom.
Oooops, thats two words.
How 'bout: The ECONOMY
Dang, still two words...
what was we talkin' bout? I think lenos on.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Another good point!

Is this the chicken or the egg thingy?

Thats always made me wonder, which came first....

OR...who populates who?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

aha, the chicken and the egg theory.. let me ask you this.. who made the chicken and the egg?

now you understand its no the answer that is the problem but the question

that is why we have infinity and pie ; )

some questions loop and some questions give answers, the problem is always the question you ask not the answer you seek as you already know the answer..

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Thanks about the compliment on the Avatar.

I'll have either that one or a better one up once I decide to log in to the media section (and it lets me! the two times I've tried it said something about not accepting logins at this time... conspiracy, I tell ya'!)

Anyhow, this is a very interesting subject to me. Because when you actually think about these numbers, you wonder "well, what are the odds that people have come to the point where we can actually consider this possibility"...
And when you consider QM, and ALL OF THE ABOVE, you have to start wondering about the whole damned thing.
Is it even real?
Or is this all a thought exercise?

I mean, once you get to that level of complexity, it is prudent to ask these questions...

Think about that story about the plane carrying the abortion clinic founder that just crashed into the catholic unborn child memorial... Strange coincidence indeed.

Consider the odds of all the above and STILL having coincidences such as these?
You can't even put a number to it.

My bet is on a real life "matrix" type ordeal.

Our entire reality is the thought process of "god"...

Cool thing about all that is the possibilities are limitless. Especially considering he gave us "free will."

Eh, it is pretty deep really.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Edit
Double post.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

"hope that helps, even if you dont understand it or you find it very simple i sugest you understand you are here and the odds are in our favour because we are here "

But are we really?

We've all heard the tired routine... "Cogito Ergo Sum"... I think therefore I am.
I would argue that it begs the question.

I therefore I am.

Are we REALLY here?
It sounds silly, doesn't it?

I'm not so sure.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Sorry guys got kicked off a minute.
Um, ya I love it!(speculating)

That really is THE question! Eh? For sure!

I feel that there is something that binds everything together,
whether its God or aliens or just galactic energy, there are
far too many strange happenings in the universe to all be coincidence!
We are God's experiment? Deep indeed! Thanks for your thoughts!

P.S. I think your on to somethin' Jay...

[edit on 27-3-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

Double post ; ) but i shall reply to this one !!

There are no odds realy, you see its about the question.. and i shall go into this in more detail..

A question in mathmatical terms is only a choice, it has NO outcome. I know thats hard to understand that. But the logical side of why you are infact here is not based on ODDs becuase odds are subjective only to a guess "future" you can not base odds on life because its here 1/0 the problem lies in the question of WHY and WHY is another question that one can not answer "infinity + P.I" that is the problem.. if one asks who or what is god its the same question the leaf will ask the tree!!

I use this again so people understand what we are and who we are and how this question is and why it is asked..

If we as humans are or have been "created" that logicaly requires "someone or something" to "have" created us "is has awareness" to create "that is the same as a carpenter creating a chair ect".. Now for god Not to be here "a guy/women/bieng" what would that mean??

That we are a natural compontent of something. "tree" and we are a leaf ect

so god and being here are both the same thing and odds are not required for this.. more so because it rules out possiblity due to the "action" of "creation"

its basic mathmatics. In order for us to be "created" requires a "creator" ie god, But many think god is a person or being that "created" us. when infact that same thing can happen via Normal and logical ways, just as a tree makes a leaf, and the moon and the sun and the earth have all been "created"..

you see its always about the question.. Humans fail misserbly to understand the logic of questions

If i was to put a question in a form you could understand a question would be a reason

1+1= 2

the reason behind that is a question "even tho i know the answer" i still aked it to make me feel better.. every time you speak you ask a question.. the understanding of how the question will end is the important part and there is only 2 outcomes to every question you ask

You will agree Or you wont.

1.0 is the probiblity of life being here = 1

mathmatics does not need to be as complex as some people make out to be

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I think therefore I am

try this

I am for therfore i ask

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Kinda want to stay on topic with odds but answer your question also, its not so much about us being in something fake but understanding that infact we are here..

we have big questions.. Why are we here and Who made us and for what reason?

Now lets look at this in more detail in regards to odds.. Why ? "question" Who "question" what reason? "question"

you see in just this short sentance, we have 3 questions that all ask the same question

WHY, why do we even ask?? hehe.. now i shall tell you why

The resaon we ask questions is for self replication. on an order that is not understud but is very clear "atleast to me" the road we travel requires us to ask questions its our fule its our reason and our meaning ect.. if we dont ask why then there is no logical reason for us to infact be here... thats a scary prospect but very logical., and its realy is fun because every question we ask results in alot of things we see in nature, nature askes questions of itself and so does the universe. that is our reality that is what we are based on and thats why we have quontom physics. its always about the question because without it we live in a stangnate universe that would not exisist today or ever infact, our reality is very very based and fundermentlay based on questions.. it gives rise to shapes symmerty pi and infinity.. the reason we have such crazy stuff is because they are the basic paramaters of how the universe works.. the probiblity of of life on a planet is only the result of the question you are indeed asking "that means the probiblity is none and void" its real its in your face and its 1 "certen" so the probibliyt of the universe asking for you to be here is YES and the probiltiy of aliens is the same as YOU sat here tying on ATS.

thats how it stands.. life is somewhat of a life but it helps to understand the question because its more important than the answer always

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeffcoatsawakening
OK I am a believer in god and I love science so I was sitting around wandering if god is not the creator, what are the odds of everything being so perfect that a planet forms a sentient being..
I would guess it is a unfathomable, astronomical number..
Any of you care to chime in??

I'm going to go with a one to one odds, it's a sure thing.

Peace

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

oh and just to add you only think according to rules that alow you to..

its kinda stupid if you ask me but you think because your required to under some paramters "being alive"..

In time we will be the masters of our own univers and create one that is the path we are on and everything is possible..

the hard part is staying alive

or why would we have infinity

that is not a word i use lightly its very real and infinity has an end and a start..

starts with being alive and ends when you die, there is no after life. only this life, after life is another dream you had when you was not here or infact you/.

worry about this life not the "after" life because there is no second chance here only one.

read the small print

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

its one over zero

just to correct you

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   

"I think maybe you misunderstand me"...

What I mean to say is if this creator cannot be measured in qualifiable terms, is this creator not us ourselves?

Therefore, am I REALLY an entity of my own?

You see, a creator that is not seen is an evidence of his creation, as you say.
Therefore, when it is said "I think therefore I am" am I really?
Am I really anything of my own, or am I simply a part of what is?

It is called a fallacy of begging the question. I assume the outcome and argue towards it.

Eh, as I said in like the second post of this thread... For all intents and purposes, the conditions are met and if need be, we can get into RIDICULOUS numbers to prove it.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I read somewhere that imagine God as a mirror. When he gave his creation the ability to reason and make decision for themselves God was giving away what was only his. The ability to DO. The mirror was broken. God still is. Now imagine that we (all aliens, humans, all sentient beings in the universe) are the broken shards of the mirror. God can now gaze upon himself and we can witness his creation. We are all part of a greater whole.

Kinda deep, but anyway, evolution and creation go well together. God decided and evolution was how it was done. What is the problem. No where in the bible does it say creation was in an instant. 7 days of creation, 7 time periods of creation.

And who says that evolution could not happen elsewhere? Somebody was talking about imagining a grassy field and stuff to prove evolution, who says that field is on Earth? There are other planets close to Earth-like for sure. There is water elsewhere in the universe, absolutely.

Do we think ourselves so special that God did not create others?

When are we going to remember that Religion and Science are the same thing? The prove each other.

I dont know what the odds are but there is at least one other Earth-like planet. 100% sure about that. I have no proof. I just feel it. I just know it. Doesnt anybody else feel that way.

edited to add the words i didnt input, cause my brain runs 5 times faster than I can type.

[edit on 28-3-2009 by Le Colonel]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Therefore, am I REALLY an entity of my own?

This is more ture than many understand and i agree 100% with this statement..

The reason i agree is because if one is to be here "amazing as it is" if we look at it in logical terms then the only reason for your being is to further the evolution of the universe..

This is the most fundermental flaw we all lose... god + creation and us are one of the same thing and are all linked in this..

we are here for one reason and the reason for this is to keep the universe "i know that sounds crazy" going.. if we dont ask why we can not keep it going.. we are the universe we are the reason why the universe is here..

you cant have one without the other

My question is this : what do we plan on doing now that we understand that we are here???

2012 may be finaly when humans wake up to the fact we are here and what are we going to do about it.. argue? mess about? or make this vastness out playground and ¬¬¬ and! stay here..

the alternitive is --- well i dont like to think about that but i keep faith in my fellow brothers and sisters.. that we can do something usefull in this mess we are in.

self presivation - for me you and the universe we need to try.. or the universe will and she will ask something els to do it for her...

we are the reason why we are here and she/he has given us our chance, we cant screw it up.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

I have that problem too...
But yeah, I feel ya.
However, if you wan't the "proof" you can look at the mathematics...

The numbers are literally "astronomical."

There are others like us. In fact, I would say that even if you consider our 4d reality as the ONLY reality, there are bound to be planets with beings almost, if not precisely, like us. The numbers are simply too great.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Glad you catch my drift.

Although, I would say that in the end it really doesn't matter.
Because the only thing that all people can disregard is time. Whatever happens between now and WHENever doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

All people know this. Deep down, all people realize that they are completely and totally insignificant. I just hope that our words here can help more people realize that it is alright to acknowlege this.
Because once you acknowledge that this is insignificant, the easier it is to disregard the crap that doesn't make you happy while you are here.

Once enough of us do that, it won't matter anyhow, because we will mold our reality!

Incredible concept, but it is a logical and fundamental truth. If nothing really matters much in the end, why not be happy while you are here?

If enough realize this, everything fixes itself and ... well, the rest becomes self-evident.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join