It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 88
<< 85  86  87    89  90  91 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerOfAUTMN
reply to post by Studious

Serious question to everyone: How long could someone theoretically survive in raw vacuum such as space? Just curious, as it doesn't really apply in Asher's case. I left it kinda vague how long it would take his suit to vent fully.

Hope someone pulls him out soon or his going to be one Enhanced popsicle...

I couldn't really tell the exact figures since there are several factors to consider. How big of a hole? How many holes? How effective is the self sealing?

It would depend on the suit's tech level. For example does it use a Gel layer to self seal in case of rupture? I imagine so. Just on a rough guess it might be effective if the hole is less than say an inch in diameter. One nasty bit that I remember reading about in a SF novel had the suit essentially cut off the limb exposed to vacuum. Get a hole in your arm for example and high powered razor blades would engage and cut off and seal where the limb was on the assumption that it was better to lose a limb (that might be replaced later on) than your life.

One thing that I do know is that your not supposed to try to hold your breath. The air would expand and rupture your lungs. Also close your eyes to prevent over pressure.

So on a guess, if it's a Gel sealant, I would say with few holes several minutes.

A big hole in the chest area and you would have only a couple minutes or so then serious problems would happen.

Just my two cents worth.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Serious question to everyone: How long could someone theoretically survive in raw vacuum such as space? Just curious, as it doesn't really apply in Asher's case. I left it kinda vague how long it would take his suit to vent fully.

Hope someone pulls him out soon or his going to be one Enhanced popsicle...

As I recall, an unprotected human can survive up to 2 minutes in the complete vaccuum of space. The body does not 'explode' from internal pressures, it freezes before that can occur. The lungs rupture and are pulled out through the mouth, and the capillaries and small blood vessels rupture creating hematomas, particularly in the eyes, but body tissues like skin and such prevent a complete atomization of the body.

That's for completely unprotected bodies, like someone shot out through a photon torpedo tube ( hint to Horkos
). Pretty grisly, huh?

Your mileage may vary, due to the protection of the EVA suit. I would say, as a minimum, you should expect some pretty sudden and severe frostbite on body parts near the site of the rupture, severity to be determined by the severity of the rupture.

Asher could lose that arm entirely.

If the suit vents sufficiently, you should expect some horridly bloodshot eyes, and pretty severe bruising too. Less severe frostbite may be a problem further from the breach, perhaps depending on damage to the heating/cooling system if the EVA suit. The fabric of the suit itself should prevent more serious cell disruption from occurring.

Somebody snatch that man outta space!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Your mileage may vary,

Oh hell...
0700 in the morning and I'm spurting tea from my nostrils.
That's what happens when subjected to your space
opera notes...

Grisly yes - but good to know these facts - See I knew there was a reason getting jettisoned had me all in a dither before...

Thanks and good morning to you too... (Or night)...

[edit on 20-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Quick question.

How long would it take to travel on our (very cool looking) Shuttles - Go to Earth - and return at super-duper-fast-ultra-warp-drive?
Deson do you know?

I’ve got Ships Center ready to go - most of the pics done - the Gardens (flowers and herbs and edibles), the snail areas, crew planting areas, jungle rooms with Jacuzzis for a R&R area, the Upas Tree for Latex for the weapons, and a few more surprises... But need some supplies from Earth... There was talk a while back about heading to Earth - but I’m growing impatient!

Thanks

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Excellent post in the background thread, Neno - but it's "United" not "Unified"

I think I made a typo in one of my PDF files and put Unified....

Bleargh.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Fixed.

The strange thing is, I started out with 'United' instead of 'Unified', then when I went to the pdf to do some fact checking, I saw the typo, thought it was the real deal, and went back and changed it to "Unified'.

Maybe I should get more sleep?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

How long would it take to travel on our (very cool looking) Shuttles - Go to Earth - and return at super-duper-fast-ultra-warp-drive?
Deson do you know?

I’ve got Ships Center ready to go - most of the pics done - the Gardens (flowers and herbs and edibles), the snail areas, crew planting areas, jungle rooms with Jacuzzis for a R&R area, the Upas Tree for Latex for the weapons, and a few more surprises... But need some supplies from Earth... There was talk a while back about heading to Earth - but I’m growing impatient!

Just a quick trip to the market, and you'll be right back, eh?

I may be wrong, But I seem to recall Deson saying somewhere that the shuttles weren't capable of faster than light travel, just ship-to-ship, ship-to-shore, and maybe short trips inside the same star system. I'd hold off on any big plans until he gives us the definitive word. If you get to go, pick me up a pack of smokes and some calimari... no, wait, scratch the calimari. What I meant was tofu... yeah, that's it, tofu...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

If you get to go, pick me up a pack of smokes and some calamari... no, wait, scratch the calamari. What I meant was tofu... yeah, that's it, tofu...

Will do thanks...
Yummm calamari, lol... Reminds me of a Scarface quote... Which of course I wont post here...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
That's right about the shuttles. They are ship to ship and ship to planet only. With sufficient life support you could in theory go from say the Earth to the Moon but it would take a while. Planet to Planet (unless your in Rocheworld) would be unworkable unless you have some sort of cryonics tube to shut down your body.

I figure that if they were to snag him fast enough then they could get him to the ship in time. As far as exactly how fast? Well, whatever is dramatically appropriate. (chuckle)

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

So Silo you are doing the ships food center? The hydroponics or what ever we use to grow our food? Cool I would love to see those as they have been on my mind and I was hoping to have a very modern cool looking one, how you see our abitly 350+ years in the future to grow onboard veggies will be great.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
They should be arriving any moment. I will write them in. I FORGOT!!!

Oh I don’t think it necessary to rewrite your post or anything! I was only curious, really.

You hit what I was going for right on the nose Studious! I was planning on making all of the NI operatives I write about named after Greek mythological terms. That's cool you caught it.

Wow! I love these moments of synchronicity we have in the opera at times without even speaking with one another. If you notice in my last post, the city on Rigel I mention is very similar to the Parthenon. Intentionally and without the fore knowledge from you Seeker or Studious. Sweet!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
ironic Deson, that was the link I sent in U2U after my electrocution last night Lol. No I did not see the bottom as part of it either, but the top part could be used in anyway you see fit...
Do your majic! And thanks for the nice U2u I awoke to this morning, sounds like you know how I felt being shocked, and are in sync with my ideas pretty well, actually you seem to know a bit mmore than me about how its design will work best for my characters ability.

Shes a meanie now as her alter ego has stepped in and it is her darker side, she is a warrioress and wants to battle!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Morning Whisper!, Yeah its too late now but as I told Deson I got SHOCKED pretty good last night standing on wet soil, wrapping lights around a metal stand in my garden, LOL it was awful! I went to bed after that...

But, I will go write in their entrance which will give a better idea of how my alter behaves or at least thinks about others, really she is a killing machine and thinking everyone is a potential enemy.

You have met both and are very aware of my deadly skills in battle, so when you next see me as my darkerself, you will know that the time has come to be very aware for enemies or danger.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
If anyone has any data to add to the background thread, feel free!

It's for canon information and to be used as a quick way to find "historical" information we may need as the story progresses.

It can be found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Note: I know it's called the "UEF" Background Data thread - but everyone is welcome to put stuff in regardless of "side."

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I've been snagged into doing a number of chores around the house at the moment. I'll be back when I can.

By the way Antar, I've managed to import the upper part of the Fleur into Bryce, that'll save me the effort of trying to build it from scratch. I'llfinsih it up when I can.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yes, since the go-ahead from the *crew* and Captain Loam I've been doing a considerable amount of *behind the scenes* work preparing for this - all in photo and a little diagram form.
I stayed away from too much diagram in case anyone wanted anything put in or taken out.

This was quite a while ago and I've not mentioned it much in my story line other than I've been studying Earth extensively (memory discs) as someone (I forgot who sorry) referred to Earth being the *Nursery of the Galaxy*...and, wanting to *surprise* the crew.

If you want the hydroponics go for it, I've got more than enough to keep me busy with the rest of it. I can send you what hydroponics photo set-ups I've done so far (only two) as you're most welcome to use them - or if they don't fit what you were looking for toss 'em, no problem.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Who’s responsible for daily communications?

I think what I'll do is put in a service order, get it OK’d by Captain Scurvy and get a transport vehicle on the way from Earth and then find a place to rendezvous. That takes care of the waiting to visit Earth thing, which is too tedious to bear.

I know the Whales are doing navigation - but - Who would be responsible for contacting another planet? Who's the *secretary* on board?

Eeeek... I suppose without any other crew members - if there’s no one else - it might fall on - me?

Ugh, I hope not. I’m just so NON-sci-fi talk, as if everyone hasn’t already noticed. I really don't feel I could do it justice. Though it could be amusing - in a painful way...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Hey everyone, where is Scurvy? How come we never have a captain? Sure way to be missing from the Opera is to be captain of the Yydryl. I feel bad that Asher is floating in space and I think it would be good for the story if we get him but my character could not be the one to use her time travel in such a way. I had meant something like the bombs going off or the event horizon of a black hole. All we need is to beam him into the RB. If Scury or some captain does not show up, I guess you guys on the Pen are going to have to get him.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

Hey everyone, where is Scurvy? How come we never have a captain? Sure way to be missing from the Opera is to be captain of the Yydryl. I feel bad that Asher is floating in space and I think it would be good for the story if we get him

I guess you guys on the Pen are going to have to get him.

I have asked that very same question.

But it seems to have fallen of deaf ears. Isn't this supposed to be a collaboration? It seems that either by others actions or inaction the rest of the collaborators are being held hostage so to speak.

Not trying to make this sound like a rant.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I am not blaming Scurvy, at all, everyone has a life to live.I am just feeling guilty, Scurvy I am sure was giving me the opportunity to show my characters abilities but it isnt right for my character. So I was not blaming but apologizing and pleading.

<< 85  86  87    89  90  91 >>

join