It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 60
<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Just checking in for a minute, am building a chick house and just got back from Grandpa who is doing well toady, and am looking forward to easter Vacation over this weekend with the family and some friends! Yeah, wish some of you could be here too!

Qa it has been a pleasure and I really respect the contributions you took time to share.

I am never further away than a u2u...

Love and light, Julie

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I really do appreciate all of your kind words and thoughts of my contributions.

I agree with Masqua, I can depart and who knows in a few months I can come back on or something.

But honestly, being a single mom with a house and land, now that it is spring, I have to do lots of work to do around the house and land, along with taking care of my daughter. And I have the pleasure of doing all the things, all by myself.... so ... Besides trying to get some other things off the ground. Getting on ATS and spending the time needed and is worthy of what everyone else is contributing to the story, is just not available to me now.

I love you all, and will still get on ATS infrequently, but not as I am able to during the winter. Too much to do outside, besides enjoying the nature.

You guys are all awesome, thank you, thank you, for your thoughts!!!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I just got caught up, and read the story up until the last post now.

so, how do you want to me initate contact between the two, what kind of message?

I don't want to influence the thread with my own way, because there needs to be a way, everyone else wants to meet up, so it can go along as all of you want it.

So I am awaiting my instructions ....

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Well the chief engineer has been having these " DREAMS "
Maybe something could happen with some type of awakening?
I dunno
just a thought

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Wasn't the crew of the Penelope back at base being interviewed over the destruction of the Nimitz?

What better place to get the orders than 'High Command'? The warning from NATURE came in the middle of all that so why not relay the order for QA to head out?

We can find out about the destruction of the ambassadorial vessel, and quite likely QA as well, later on in the thread.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Excellent, and I am certain it will be astounding however you chose.

Wow you sound like me as far as the RL stuff, country life, children and WAY lots to do now that its spring!

Have a great and delightful Spring and we will catch you soon.

PS I HATED having to make that last post without the whole days worth of visuals I had planned to incorporate... On the 'other' comp... Boo!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

One other question, what do you want me to do about Theresa? Once QA is gone, does she just Wake UP and herself again? Have you found someone to take her?

Maybe, she takes off too in a pod or something?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I tell you, I want chickens and a goat, but my subdivision doesn't allow it, even though I have a few acres!!

I might try and sneak them in............

OH, sorry off topic... OOOPPs

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Theres no sneaking around a roosters crow!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
~~~Hi All~~~
In my opinion two things need to be addressed by all participants of the Space Opera, and soon.

First the all too many *deaths* on the Yydryl. Why is this a problem? Becasue it's glaringly obvious to the readers we’re covering up - (and not to well in my opinion) - for people leaving.
I’m not blaming people for opting out, I’m asking the writers who stay to come to an organized decision on how we plan to handle it as a group when people go.

If I was a reader on the outside I’d think the storyline was developing a killer aboard Ship as all the signs point in that direction.

If there is - or is not - I think it’s up to the Head of Security and Ships Healer to figure out the details surrounding all these deaths (murders?) and present their findings to Captain Loam.
We have a wonderful opportunity in QA’s and Theresa's death to use them for the good of the Space Opera. No fiery glorious send offs - just some hard facts and conclusions that tie in with the other deaths.

Suicide for Theresa? Making it look like the first suicide on board?
Poison for QA? She finally takes that (poisoned) drink she was told not to take? (Now that's great in my opinion)!

But it isn’t my choice.

Truly though - if these new deaths (two this time!) slip by without some combined conclusions I truly fear for the credibility of the story.

Second.

I think we need to ask some questions before new writers pop on the scene.
Maybe Masqua you write up some *Questions to Ask Yourself Before Joining the Space Opera.”
Or someone putting the questions to them concerning their drive, commitment, time constraints, ability to stick to it once they join?
Or is that a horrid idea and we just work just work around it?

So that’s my little waste of bandwidth for the day.
I hope it provokes some real fact finding resulting in great answers.
If not (IMO) I'm afraid these deaths are going to devour this incredible wonderful project.

Thanks for listening.
Now just toss me out on my antenna and tell me to stop taking this all so damn seriously if you’d like.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by silo13]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Regarding the deaths, Captain Cadbury address this on page one of the opera:

by Cadbury
“What? Another suicide? Are you sure?” It
would be the 27,000th reported across the Orion Alliance in the spacing of one Regellian monthhood.

So this activity isn't specific to the Yydryl. I've tried to bring up the number here and there in my own posts. It's not been stated the reason for this extream behavior. Whisper probably assumes it's due to the number of Big Rip cults that have sprung up or as antar has eluded to, those wishing to ascend feeling they'd be more productive in that dimension.

Watch carefully over any freinds on the ship wearing Nikes or handing out flowers at the shuttle bays.

Regarding the dedication or attention writers play, I feel masqua has addressed this a number of times and even set guidelines in the working thread, even just recently. Our attention will wax and wane as is natural. He gave guidelines on the expectations and consequences as well advising we could 'park' our characters if we needed extended time away as long as he was advised as well as our crewmates. I'll look this up and repost it if you wish.

Good day all!

[edit on 4/9/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I understand how you feel silo, I have felt a bit vulnerable with the deaths as well. However this is the collaborative writting forum and we can expect people to come and go. I can say that I plan to stay for a long time. Now in June I will be running the country and not always on a comp but I will post to that affect, like going into deep meditation or hybernation, something.

We have lost some great writers who we had high hopes to interact with in time, but I feel very good about how we have flowed and bounced off eachother so far. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn how to be patient and calm and to simply be in the moment.

Love, light and creativity!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Can we just put QA in like a staticis chamber because of her crime as to the Penelope as opposed to killing her?
Just wondering unless she wants to be dead.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

So this activity isn't specific to the Yydryl.

Yes but what is specific to the Yydryl is 4 deaths minimum since the begging of the story and no reasons given that tie into the story. How many books or movies do you see where people pop off left and right with no explanation?
The 27,000 deaths are just numbers with no names...

I see your point, but again, if I was reading this from the outside I'd be very frustrated, want some answers, wonder what the heck was going on and probably put the book down and not finish it.

There isn‘t even a teaser or foreshadow to make you think you just might find out later what the hells going on if you stick it out and read it to the end!

I think we owe it to the readers to address these deaths.

Listen I’m not pointing fingers here...but this is getting ridiculous.

You don’t want to give an explanation, fine, I’m just bringing up constructive criticism at a critical point but more importantly an optimal point to fix the problem.

As for changed Masqua has made I’ll have to go back and read them.

thanks

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

However this is the collaborative writing forum and we can expect people to come and go.

Sure - and it leaves the people behind with the challenge to write the leaving characters out in a way that enriches the story line not just dropping them like a rock - which means leaving the reader floundering.

...but I feel very good about how we have flowed and bounced off each other so far. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn how to be patient and calm and to simply be in the moment.

I agree completely.
But we can *be in the moment* and clean up the mess at the same time I would hope, no?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Can we just put QA in like a staticis chamber because of her crime as to the Penelope as opposed to killing her?

Hi Hi,
I was using those examples of QA and Theresa as just that - examples.

It would be great if there was a way to keep everyone alive (who wanted to stay alive) wouldn't it.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Here's a formula:

- If the collaborator wants out temporarily to deal with RL issues, then we have something happen to them that leaves an opening in case they want to return. It's in this way that QA should be handled... blown up on her ambassador vessel and presumed dead.

- If a member just wants out entirely, like Sky did, then we have a spectacular end devised for them.

- If a member decides to off themselves, like vv did, we try to work our story to fit it, even if it's difficult (like vv's suicide was)

- If a member doesn't show up for a long time, like Captain Cadbury, we also work it into the story somehow (and we did great with Cadbury, wherever he's being held).

Role Playing should be able to 'roll' with the punches (pardon the pun) and deal with things as they happen, just like in real life.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Added note:
I just went back and read the changes Masqua has made to the info page.

All I’m suggesting is some statement to tentative new participants that while new writers are encouraged the bringing in of new characters and then writing them right out again takes a lot of time and dedication from other participants and makes it difficult to stay cognitive to the story line.

I don’t want to discourage anyone from joining far from it.
In fact I went out and recruited someone who is a member of S.O right now.
But it would be nice for people who are tentative about joining to ask themselves in all seriousness if they plan on staying for a while or not.

peace

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Great formula.
But it doesn’t address so many loose ends concerning the deaths, the only point I was trying to make in taking the risk of bringing my concerns to the board.

I had hoped with the two new deaths we’d have a great opportunity to tie things together for the readers but it seems I’m banging my head against a wall.

On the other hand what might explain it is something I just read in your post but had not realized before.

Role Playing should be able to 'roll' with the punches (pardon the pun) and deal with things as they happen, just like in real life.

This is a *roll playing* game???

I thought it was collaborative writing.

To me there is a huge difference.

If it’s a roll playing game then I’ll just shut up.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Hey, I really am sorry, I am not able to put the time into this right now, I understand the frustration of others. They have worked on this and are disappointed when the work is being left behind by others.

I know, since I became 2 characters, it is even more difficult. But as Masqua says in an earlier posting, my leaving right now, can actually bring the the ships together and interacting now.

I want to stress too, I would love a concensus between everyone, what is the message to relay to bring the two together?

I will say again, I don't want to use my "own" type message, it has to be agreed upon, between everyone who is actively participating in the story.

How would you like me to bring the two together, through what type message? As soon as I get that info, I will then write my out in the story at this time.

Thanks

top topics

<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join