It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Arrest Priest For Filming Them!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Funny how cameras are being pushed to be put on every corner of the world for "safety" but carrying your own is wrong.

sign sign signs..

when oh WHEN will people wake up and join together?

b

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

not too far off the uk?

We might not have guns here but neither do the police...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
You do realize though that crooked cops have been a problem for a very, very long time.
This seems to be occuring more rapidly now because we all have cameras and internet hookup.
If the system doesn't correct itself, they will try to make it so that we cannot film them. We have already seen this in the UK. It will happen here unless there is more integrity in the system than I believe there to be.

I just don't see how they can make that a reality here without other changes occuring first. I mean, its not like they can blow up a building and blame it on video cameras. They'll be forced to just make it illegal. And NOBODY will go along with that one.
Unlike the people in the UK, I feel that Americans still know that this is OUR country, not theirs. This is the difference between a monarchy and a republic. It is a fundamental difference. They will never take away our guns or our freedom of speech. Not without a fight.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

wow that reaglly is ignorant

we had democracy before the US was even formed...

I bet you stick to that homer simpson line "if i didnt have a gun, the king of england could just walk in here and start pushing you about."

There is a lot more in common between a constitutional monarcy and a republic than between a constitutional monarchy and a monarchy.

seriously i'm REALLY F**KING SICK of u yanks seeing us as f**king serfs working fields under big brother / the royal family or whatever, because of course we are sooooo backwards over here that Above Networks is British owned...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
It disgusts me how far the police force has degenerated. What happened to the day when you knew your local bobby and could have a conversation with him without getting arrested for harassment. Now look I am anti-immigration however I do not believe that that gives the police any right to discriminate against a certain group. Honestly what has the world come to when the police go after priests trying to protect people.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rufusthestuntbum

not too far off the uk?

We might not have guns here but neither do the police...

Wrong actually the police do have guns here. Plus the majority of officers are being trained in the use of tasers and many will carry on them at all times plus the amount of officers being given firearm training is increasing rapidly.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mostlyspoons
reply to post by brill

Im not sure I understand the meaning of this statement. Isn't it a priest's job to ensure that the youth be protected, more so than anything else? I certainly hope you're not trying to lump all priests into one group based on what some have done. This type of thinking is not only primitive, but very dangerous.

Not to derail this thread but when there are over 10,000 individuals making accusations and over 4000 clerics accused of abuse then yah that's where I'm going with this. By your statement though I guess its acceptable since its only "some"

brill

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

English common law is actually much more coherent than our (U.S.) hybrid (common law/civil law) law. But this is just ridiculous. I normally would not care enough to post but really: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR

Unlike the people in the UK, I feel that Americans still know that this is OUR country, not theirs. This is the difference between a monarchy and a republic. It is a fundamental difference. They will never take away our guns or our freedom of speech. Not without a fight.

That statement does not make much sense..

wow that reaglly is ignorant

And I Agree..

Pretty much everyone knows that the Monarchy is a figurehead she really does not have any say anymore its mostly done in Parliament.

Back on topic.. I don't think we can label all cops under the same tag.. and who knows maybe this cop was just having a bad day.. one thing I will say with the amount of programs on TV now showing them in action you think they would be used to the cameras by now.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
It's okay for all factions of Big Brother to monitor and survey our every move, but it looks like when the tables are turned there is a giant double standard!

You make a good point. If police feel it is their right and duty to be able to monitor the public through video surveillance, then they should accept that the average citizen can do the same to them. If these cops are wondering why they are being filmed and why citizens want to record their activities, they should ask themselves the same questions about monitoring the public.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Actually, the US was based and built on the idea of a Republic. Not Democracy. I'm not sure how we ended up becoming one, and I feel we wouldn't be in this mess right now if we would of stuck to our roots and stayed a Republic, but oh well. Just pointing that out.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

That's all well and good as a crisis control statement, but what do you have to say about the OP?
It appears to be becoming increasingly common.
As an 'insider' you must have some information you can share regarding this.

I think an officer made a mistake. Was he WRONG, I wasn't there, do not know ALL the facts. Reading the OP and going off the information given to me, I have no idea why he was worried about the camera and if he did the things as stated then I see or would think he could should be suspended. And depending on his history, I wouldn't want him on my team.

I did take the camera away from a bystandard one time a few years back. He was on a public street taking video of the scene and I went to ask him to stop. He told me to F-off, I'm on a public street, and all that jazz...so I snatched the camera from him and told him when the scene was clear he could have it back. No before you get as mad as this guy was understand something....the scene he was filming included a victim who was an 11 year old girl, WHO WAS STILL THERE while this JA was filming. Sorry but I WILL NOT let ANYONE film a kid, especially a kid who was just victimized for your own little game. Needless to say when we cleared the scene and he got his video camera back, MINUS the tape, he wanted my name, badge number blah blah blah...I told him sure thing, just make sure your MAN enough to tell the little girls parents/father that your sick behind was filming their victimized daughter. He said he was sorry and went home....because he knew there were limits. So no matter what you think understand there HAS to be limits on stuff like this.

Again my case is MUCH different then most of these but still. Common Sense should play a part. But as I said, if you really want to film me doing my job...fine by me. Just don't cross that line like I mentioned above, or bye bye camera.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
This doesnt suprise me as alot of cops feel they are the law, meaning they can bend it and use it how they want. I mean I know there are good cops out there and im sorry to those officers but there are many that definetly dont deserve to have their badge.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Was he breaking any laws by filming the incident? Common decency aside, there's no law against being a jerk.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by LiquidLight]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Why? Those laws are already in place. Only thing to do is to make sure that the police know that and know the basic rights of everyone. This isn't uncommon these days unfortunately

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidLight

Nope, he wasn't. But sorry Liquid, as MANY on this site love to say. WE or I as law enforcement are supposed to be there to SERVE and PROTECT...well an 11 year old victim doesn't need to be put on youtube, or the internet, or in this retards personal collection, so I did my job, I PROTECTED the child by not allowing some douchbag to have this kids face and tragedy for the world to see.

To me ANYONE who see's a person filming a child who has just been through any kind of trauma, needs to step up and do something. You wanna film a crack head get beat up, or a hooker get handcuffed, or cops doing a DUI checkpoint...by all means, film away...KIDS...no...NOPE...not happening.

[edit on 3/15/2009 by rcwj75]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I didn't realize you make the law and dictate other peoples rights. Where exactly in the constitution does it say that this power is bestoved upon you?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by nosmokinggun
Pretty much everyone knows that the Monarchy is a figurehead she really does not have any say anymore its mostly done in Parliament.

Maybe in England, but Not in Canada.

Here, Your Queen is still all-powerful, and it is the parliament that it ceremonial. This was demonstrated during the Coalition Crisis of '08 ,where her majesty was called upon to resolve the situation.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Doesn't look like the states is too far off of the UK with this type of draconian, Fascist nonsense.

We're the same here in Australia. It was in the paper today a bikie was arrested for taking photos of police. They organised a big ride together with all the clubs to protest against new laws stating they are not allowed to talk to each other, and the police invited themselves along, and he got done taking a few snaps of them.

TPTB are out of control. First it was "we can have nukes, but you can't". Now it's "we can use cameras, but you can't".

[edit on 15/3/09 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
maybe i missed this in the replies so far

but im surprised theres one thing that hasnt been brought up

normally its the police abusing just everyday citizens

now they are abusing a priest

how long will it take before the church backs this priest and takes on the law?

will they or wont they? if not then why not?

very interesting to me

i wouldnt expect the church to allow one of their own to be treated wrong without speaking out for them

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Well, the problem in the U.S. is every jurisdiction has proceeded to make their own laws in regards to audio and video recordings. In my State it is illegal to audio record someone without both parties being notified unless done with a court order, yet there is no law about video recordings thus you can video record people or take pictures almost anywhere. At the same time we've had police pepper spray people recording the police in action and we've had them confiscate and damage video equipment.

I think we really need to have public debate about this before the police or the courts begin to push their own agenda and become the owners of all data of what we see and do everyday as it's my belief that we will all be wearing memory augmentation devices that we carry with us throughout our lives, eventually.

The data should be ours unless a court Subpoenas it or it is believed to be a witness in a certain level of crime - not just because they want to destroy it. It would have to meet defined criteria before they could confiscate it or censor it. Now they just do what ever they feel like on a whim with each making up their own rules as they go.

There have to be certain places defined by law where nobody can use them for any reason (privacy), such as a theater in order to protect copyrighted materials or such that we don't invade others privacy in dressing rooms bathrooms etc. We've already had police setting up cameras up in public restrooms to catch sexual deviants or dope dealers. We've had perverts setting them up as well. We've had a school principle setting them up in girls school bathrooms to catch them smoking. It's a no brainer to me that the crime of invading the girls privacy was much more severe than smoking. Thus we must define what can and can't be done otherwise with have authoritarians like the principle making their own decisions.

I just think it needs to become at least a national law - otherwise we will be controlled by that information/data if we don't define who owns it and how it can be used.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by verylowfrequency]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join