It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest UFO story from South Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
An Afrikaans newspaper "Beeld" reports a UFO sighting in Middelburg and Witbank, South Africa. See report jv.news24.com...(unfortunately it is in Afrikaans), but I will try to freely translate it to the best of my ability.

Herewith the translation:

What are these flying objects? Mar 10 2009 05:20:07:003PM - (SA) by Aletta Otto Middelburg. -

"I am sure it was a flying saucer. There were five lights close together - it did not look like an aeroplane". This is the words of Hetta Malan from Middelburg after she saw the lights together with a lot of residents of Middelburg last Friday evening. Reservist inspector Chris Gatzonis and inspector Awie Labuschagne from the Middelburg-police also saw the lights and made video recordings with their cellphones. "We were busy working when we drove accross the bridge in Aerorand. Initially there were five orange lights moving in formation. Later we saw another two. It then dissapeared behind the clouds," said Chris. According to Chris, they observed similar lights the past weekend above their town. This time there were 23 from the direction of Witbank.

There is a video included in the report. The people in the video all speak Afrikaans and from their comments, you can hear they are baffled by what they see.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Thank you

The second video there is a bit of skepticism from one witness, saying it was flares. While the others say it was losing formation the one guy was quite adamant it was flares. Seven lights was counted.

The first video you can hear that witness was exited and confused. He says numerous red-ish lights which looks like stars but does not give a total. Nice one!

Nice one and thanks again.

[edit on 3/11/2009 by qonone]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Good one!!

Its always good when someone gets out there cell phone and records the phenomena most people have them these days so it adds weight to a sighting.

I would be interested to know what the people were saying in the video clip any chance of a transcript. thanks..

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nosmokinggun

I would be interested to know what the people were saying in the video clip any chance of a transcript. thanks..

I will do a translation now

First Video
00m15s: Anton (He was calling a friend via wireless talkie, i guess)
00m20s - 00m31s: Uncle Piet, go your porch and look towards Witbank ,Mpumalanga. There are red lights which looks like stars but they are moving through the clouds. It is the weird.
00m33s - 00m50: Hold on uncle Piet. Hi Anton, have a quick look in Witbank's direction. There are red (laughs) lights, but there are many and they are moving slowly. You must have a look, i do not know what these things are. Go and look these are the weirdest things i have seen. Audio indistinct after that.

Second Video sent in by Hetta Malan from Middelburg
00m56s: Flares cannot move like this, listen to me.
00m59 - 01m04s: Indistinct..It is ***** aliens ,laughing..
01m04s - 01m07: They are flares, that is a ***** flare/s
No way my friend
01m08s - 01m15: That's German flares, laughing...
BS man!
(A friendly disagreement between two friends, very
indistinct due to editing from the swearing)
01m15s: Look how it is burning out, it's fading, look...
(Indistinct, someone seems to agree in the background)
01m27s: Come and have a quick look, hurry (Calling a woman)
What the hell is that?
It is a...
Space invaders..laughing
No hell ****! What is it?
Extremely weird strange looking parachutes
What are they!?
01m45s: How many are there? Seven
Go call or get Boeta
01m47s: No this is weird, hey. I was on my way over here one
morning and ...
It is a German Flare...
BS man those things are not flares
It's following the wind..
Those things are not flares, BS
02m02s: I want to tell you one thing, those things are staying in
formation, that's what i think
No, it is moving closer (towards each other) the ones at
the back are getting closer.
02m08s: Look how it's burning, it is fading
It's moving further away
Obviously, as they are fading....

Hope that helps. Am i the only S.African who hears "Duitse Flares" (German) here?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Well I'll be...

There's been a lot of UFO activity in SA these past few months... And the media is covering most of it.

I wonder what's up?

Here is a recent story by Carte Blanche, covering some more recent sightings. Sadly footage of Carte Blanche has strict copyrights. They remove any material from YouTube sooner than you can say "mes"...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
Well I'll be...

There's been a lot of UFO activity in SA these past few months... And the media is covering most of it.

I wonder what's up?

Theres a new movie coming out called district-9 something to do with aliens landing in south africa....could it be a publicity stunt
to create a hype in south africa before the movie comes out to boost box office sales

Just a thought!

[edit on 11-3-2009 by ronin-dex]

Mod Edit: Fixed tags.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ronin-dex

Very interesting suggestion!
Quite plausible!

D-9 Viral
D-9 Site

I like! I'm off to do some reading...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
There has been a lot of activity over the whole World since last year, so I doubt South Africa is an uniqe spot in any way in regard of sightings.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightchild

You're quite right about the "global occurance"... The difference is we don't get nearly as many UFOs as say... Mexico or the US. UFO sightings (that are reported) in SA are rare, so we get pretty excited when it happens.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
reply to post by Nightchild

You're quite right about the "global occurance"... The difference is we don't get nearly as many UFOs as say... Mexico or the US. UFO sightings (that are reported) in SA are rare, so we get pretty excited when it happens.

Oh, yeah I see your point with that. Almost in class with London being the new Ufo hot-spot since 2008. Who could have guessed.

Will be interesting to see how all this will turn out.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
You guys will realize that Middelburg (2nd Video) lies east from Witbank (1st Video) on the map i supplied on my second post.

I did not mention this in my translation, i apologize.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Thanks for the transcript of the conversations..

They could well be flares in the second video.. the first video I found interesting..

Would agree there seems to be a world wide surge in sightings.. I know the MOD said the UK had a very high record of sightings in 2008 according to the telegraph newspaper.

Interesting take on the new film coming out in S.A could well be a publicity stunt would not be the first time.

Nice post!

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
They looked like Chinese, candle lanterns to me. I think there have been a lot of recent sightings around the world which can be attributed to these.
I was working in Shenzhen, Guangdong province last Chinese new year and the sky was full of them for nights on end.
some of them I saw even had different coloured LED's on them which flashed in sequence.
PEACE,
RK.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
With reference to post by qonone -

Am i the only S.African who hears "Duitse Flares" (German) here?

No this person says - "Dit is 'n duisend voeter flare" It means it is a flare that reaches a height of a thousand feet.

The army guys usually use this terminolgy in identifying flares.

I hope this clarifies this comment.

[edited for spelling and grammar - and there might still be some mistakes]

[edit on 11-3-2009 by Ysterlong]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Thank you qonone for the translation of the video.

You mentioned in the translation:

First Video 00m15s: Anton (He was calling a friend via wireless talkie, i guess)

It is in fact a police radio and he was calling another policeman (his name is Oompie - most probably a nickname meaning "uncle") over the radio and asked him to go outside to see the lights.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by Ysterlong]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I grew up in Middelburg...and there is a huge army base situated there.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Ysterlong

Thanks Ysterlong

I was confused with the flare comment. I had to ask cause it made no sense to me. Much appreciated for clearing that issue.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Double post**

[edit on 3/12/2009 by qonone]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Come on guy's this is easy...

His excellency Bob Gabby Mugaby, you know the bloke next door!

Yeah that would be him alright all that money to spend and now he has time to spend it. Should think he just flew over for fresh 'Proudly South African' goodies. You know he just loves to enjoy his sundowners castle larger with the best vantage point 'room in the sky'.

Sir BOB flying high

top topics

join