It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Bad Guy: Rush Limbaugh

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GirlNextDoor
Rush is a citizen who has successfully created a business by exercising his right to criticize the government.

Obama's administration is the government criticizing a private citizen for creating a successful business exercising his right to criticize them.

Doesn't this trouble you?

Did it trouble you when the Bush administration attacked the liberal Hollywood types that disagreed with his Iraq war.. like Robert Redford, Barbara Streisand, George Clooney, Alec Baldwin, and Richard Dreyfus??

What's that smell....Oh, it's nothing....Just the smell of hypocrisy.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Obama is the best thing for Rush. Love him or hate him the guy loves controversy. He has been out of the spotlight for awhile and now he has a chance to jump back in.

His politics are irrelevent, if he was POPULAR with the mainstream consevative movement he would get no mention.

This could backfire on the Dems though - back in the 90's he developed quite a following, if enough people listen and enough people are spurned by the democrat money burning machine, he'll be back with a vengeance.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This man has always been the bad guy, there's nothing new here.

Rush Limbaugh is everything that is wrong about politics today. Not because of his stances or beliefs but because his celebrity is somehow taken to mean he's an expert. What he gives us is no better than reality TV or the tabloids can provide - entertainment.

He and every wannabe pundit DEMEANS the very process of politics by turning it into a troll fest. There's no true intelligent conversation going on there. This is why people have trouble having civil discourse - we've taken these sorts of men (and women) as example and don't even know how to have a discussion anymore without insulting one another, using strawmen arguments and whatnot.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Rush is a citizen who has successfully created a business by exercising his right to criticize the government.

Obama's administration is the government criticizing a private citizen for creating a successful business exercising his right to criticize them.

Did it trouble you when the Bush administration attacked the liberal Hollywood types that disagreed with his Iraq war.. like Robert Redford, Barbara Streisand, George Clooney, Alec Baldwin, and Richard Dreyfus??

The Bush administration actually attacked these people? Really? How about some examples.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

Originally posted by Jadette
This man has always been the bad guy, there's nothing new here.

Rush Limbaugh is everything that is wrong about politics today. Not because of his stances or beliefs but because his celebrity is somehow taken to mean he's an expert. What he gives us is no better than reality TV or the tabloids can provide - entertainment.

Why has he always been the bad guy? Because he says things you disagree with?

As for celebrity, Sarandon, Clooney, Penn, et al also use their celebrity to advance their agendas. And people sadly believe them merely because they are celebrities.

He and every wannabe pundit DEMEANS the very process of politics by turning it into a troll fest. There's no true intelligent conversation going on there. This is why people have trouble having civil discourse - we've taken these sorts of men (and women) as example and don't even know how to have a discussion anymore without insulting one another, using strawmen arguments and whatnot.

That's not Limbaugh's fault. If people are so shallow that they cannot listen to Rush merely for entertainment value, or for a different point of view, then they deserve to be led by the nose to wherever Limbaugh takes them.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

UMMMMM - dat smells like fritter fried CHICKEN HAWK!

I call the TALON !

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Yes, it did. Don't assume you know me.

(second line)

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Let's keep talking about Rush Limbaugh while the economy tanks.

Cripes...to hell with him! Just more static to the noise.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Really? I don't remember anything of the sort. Can you provide a sourced list of quotes?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu

Really? I don't remember anything of the sort. Can you provide a sourced list of quotes?

He'll come back and say Bush used Rush and his conservative talkies to do the work for him. That's where most of the criticism came from, at least, in regards to speaking out against Hollywood's stance on the war.

Whether or not I agree with a citizen's views, I do agree with his right to his views. And that is the issue here. Not whether or not it's time for Rush to have a taste of his own medicine. If it was another talkie taking on Rush or another citizen, fine. But it is troubling when the government takes on a citizen for his or her views. What happens when the admin. doesn't like YOUR views? Gotta think about the big picture now and then.

[edit on 3/4/09 by GirlNextDoor]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Why has he always been the bad guy? Because he says things you disagree with?

As for celebrity, Sarandon, Clooney, Penn, et al also use their celebrity to advance their agendas. And people sadly believe them merely because they are celebrities.

No no, I could care less that he doesn't agree with me - someone earlier in the thread said, "So why is he the bad guy NOW?" and I was just pointing out that those that dislike him now, have always disliked him. There's no sudden focus on him.

And I agree re: celebrities. My point is equally valid for all sides. I tried to be clear that that was my point - that he speaking with authority (or anyone) when all they have is an opinion and a venue, is alot of what's wrong with politics today.

That's not Limbaugh's fault. If people are so shallow that they cannot listen to Rush merely for entertainment value, or for a different point of view, then they deserve to be led by the nose to wherever Limbaugh takes them.

I agree with the 'if you're stupid enough you deserve it'. But it still makes his noise, noise.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by slicobacon

Well this is the classic Obama administration's Modus operandi, whoever they deem as a threat,

They destroy, all the things they did to Palin were unnecessary also.

This is how they operate, and yes Obama is thinned skinned.

And Rush never said he wanted failure to ensue, he said he didn't want the asinine Obama policies to succeed.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I'll be the third person to call you out on this. The Bush Administration at least had some class. He didn't even call out Dan Rather after the false documents regarding Bush's National Guard Service, he didn't call out Dingy Harry Reid after he call the Iraq War lost, much less than calling out Hollywood elitists. But if you have examples...I would love to see them.

Bush had class....Obama has none.

I agree the Limbaugh deal is nothing but a huge distraction from wild spending and tax increases that are coming down the pike.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It's just smart politics.

The Democratic leadership is laughing like crazy that the chairman of the GOP has to apologize to Rush Limbaugh like he was some kind of servant, and that Rush's loyal army of Limbots keeps the party tilted to the far right.

Just like Palin, he is an excellent tool for the Democrats, because he's an ideological extremist that most Americans find frightening.

They don't want to "destroy" him.

Far from it, they want to make him the most recognizable face of the GOP.

I don't think the far right understands how unpopular they have become after eight years of George W. Bush.

For some incomprehensible reason they still believe they represent a majority of Americans, but if that was ever true, it certainly isn't in 2009.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Agreed. I am one who also feels that anything or anyone who speaks out openly against thin skinned narcissist Obama is considered "bad". Yes, an example of the government trying to control what is said publicly against them. I suppose he should be thankful someone out there is causing a disruption so maybe his overspending and broken promises will not be as noticable, but then again, they don't want any more attention called to the overspending and broken promises.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
How is criticizing a talk show host "attempting to silence him?!"

Get real

They simply want to keep him in the public eye, because he scares the bejeezus out of anyone who's not in his ideological camp.

The persecution complex you guys have is amazing

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

Originally posted by wutone
Regardless of political views, does it bother anyone that a private citizen is being targeted by a political party?

Another line.

Exactly!

Moreover, all this talk about Obama's brilliance is laughable. Particularly, when we had Bush, Rove and crew doing PRECISELY the same things for the last eight years.

So what is so brilliant about it?

Bush wasn't dumb.

Obama isn't dumb.

And each is as shrewd as a piranha.

Meanwhile, with each passing day, we look less like the America envisioned by our founding fathers.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Does anyone here think that it may not be a coincedence that Rush just signed a contract worth $38 million a year and now he is plastered all over the media...and being his usual rambunctious and controversial self?

Also...his record contract came before a democratic victory, suggesting that his contract and support is a republican strategy to insure a big name in the media?

And that it doesn't really matter a flip what he says?

Seriously...you guys arguing over his every word is why that fat slob is making such an obscene amount of money...on a more less obsolete media to boot.

Divide and conquer. Do you really think that Rush gives a crap about you (I'm asking his supporters)?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
While the original OP did have a decent point, all the political name calling is a waste. No difference between republicans and democrats, both are pro-nwo, pro-state capitalism, anti-liberty and anti-constitution. But one of these parties does have a clever strategy to stay in power for another few years, as if it matters. The country is in the toilet no matter which puppet party is in control and dividing the people over silly non-issues is the name of the game. I'll give 100 bucks to the first person that gets a top level republicrat to talk about how the federal reserve really works or what valid law specifically requires us to pay federal income tax.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Common misconception:

The first step in complete control of any populace is NOT to ban firearms..

That comes later..

The first step is to silence the opposition.

Semper

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join