It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal cigarette tax will increase by 62 cents per pack

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Feel free, I would stop drinking soda, no issue there. Tax all that crap, I wouldn't care all that much. I would really miss a nice bbq'd steak, but if I couldn't afford to or did not want to pay the taxes on it, easy, don't buy it.

There have also already been several alternatives posted to what you can do rather than pay the increased tax, including grow your own.

SOMEONE is going to have to pay more taxes, the money has to come from somewhere. I would much rather they put taxes on voluntary items than stuff we need to survive.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Mr. Obama said during the campaign that taxes would not be raised on anyone making less the $250,000 a year.

I guess Mr. Obama thinks only the rich smoke, or he is a flat out liar.

I guess only the rich use electricity and put gas in their cars, because taxes on energy production is right around the corner also. That tax is passed on directly to the consumer.

I'm just glad the 2010 elections are just around the corner, so we can make the liar, Mr. Obama, a lame duck, and eventually a one-term President.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I just bought cigarettes today in Ohio. They were $44 a carton for Basics. The manufacturer raised the price and then in April, the 60 cent a pack tax will be applied.

I don't know what's going on with the prices. A few months ago, Basics went down a couple bucks her carton. Yep, it was hard to believe. Now, not two months later, they raised their prices.

Looks like I'm going to have to try the chantix again.

[edit on 8-3-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Washington state native Puyallup tribe, they still sell some at 2.20 a pack.
Thank goodness for native american cigarettes . I do not really feel right paying for childrens health insurance with my smoking habit. I do however support washington state paying for education with its 50% liquor tax.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimpish
reply to post by Xtrozero

Feel free, I would stop drinking soda, no issue there. Tax all that crap, I wouldn't care all that much. I would really miss a nice bbq'd steak, but if I couldn't afford to or did not want to pay the taxes on it, easy, don't buy it.

There have also already been several alternatives posted to what you can do rather than pay the increased tax, including grow your own.

SOMEONE is going to have to pay more taxes, the money has to come from somewhere. I would much rather they put taxes on voluntary items than stuff we need to survive.

So the government dictating what you do doesn't bother you at all? You could lose most of your freedom of choice due to tax that stovepipes you down a path that someone else says is best for you. I make enough to where any tax will not affect my lifestyle in anyway, but just as all restrictions work the middle and poor class will be hit the worst. So basically you think that it is ok to make things unaffordable due to taxes.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This is a "per pack" tax hike. The way around this is to do what I do: Buy a can of rolling tobacco ie: Top, Bugler, Bali Shag etc for 12 to 20 bucks a can; get yourself a carton of 200 cigarette "tubes" about 2 to 3 bucks; invest in a cigarette roller- I think Bugler makes the best machine, about 5 bucks for a one time purchase. For under 30 dollars you have a carton of cigarettes that dont have all the chem. additives as store bought (have you noticed your smokes are always wanting to go out for the last 9 - 12 months? its an additive).
The gov't is not taxing loose tobacco only products sold by-the-pack. It DOES take a bit more effort rolling a cig when ya want to smoke one, but I know people who roll all they'll smoke in a day at one time and be done with it. Also, great trade commodity if TSHTF

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I might also add that once you have made the initial purchase for the rolling machine, you will be paying about 20 dollars per carton for your smokes. Plus, every can comes with 2 packs of rolling papers ( like you used to use to roll joints) so you dont HAVE to buy cigarette tubes, unless you want filiters

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I've been to many online tobacco stores and it looks like it's not a per pack tax.

Smokers who roll own cigarettes will see tobacco cost skyrocket on April 1

www.mlive.com...

I think it will still be cheaper to roll your own, but going from a tax of $1.10 to $24.78 per pound. That's a helluva increase!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Just bought a pack, cost 7.50...

Its time for me to quit NOW!!

Anyone tried e cigarette ? Its basically an electronic nicotine inhaler that looks like a cigarette, but they make it in different flavors like mint, strawberry and chocolate...

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Here in the upper midwest a pack of premiums is about $4.65 per pack or $44 per carton.

They are milking it... Only the really addicted people (rich or soon to be criminals) will be able to afford smoking tobacco. If they really wanted to slam smokers hard they could have made it really unaffordable by taxing tobacco well over the .65 tax. WTH, make it $5 tax or $10... That's too much? How much is too much?
They balance the expected quitters with those that addicted enough to keep footing the bill. I wonder how they quantify those numbers; even worse; how do they quantify the robberies that will inevitably occur.

« Funny Story » Crook escapes Jail To Steal Smokes; Gets Caught RETURNING To Jail

Do you think that it's for the children and insurance? No it isn't. Be wary of a politician quoting "it's for the children"... Google Oregon legalizing gambling and the director subsequently getting slapped with fraud etc. They said legalizing gambling was for "the children". Be Wary.

[edit] unfortunately the story is so old it doesn't appear anywhere. briefly, legislators pushed for more gambling outlets etc. saying it would benefit Oregon Schools. It passed into law and within 3 years schools were still no better off. The director and asst. director were caught in some form of fraud and I heard on local news the director resigned. I was too pi**ed too keep listening as I had heard enough.

[edit on 3·9·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
Thank goodness for native american cigarettes . I do not really feel right paying for childrens health insurance with my smoking habit. I do however support washington state paying for education with its 50% liquor tax.

OHHHH wow.....

You don't support paying for children to get better health insurance but you will smoke and cause harm to others like children so they are more likely to be in need of it.

I hope they just make it illegal all together. If you want to kill yourself please do so in a way that doesn't effect others. Smokers are a huge drain on our current health system and tax dollars.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto
I've been to many online tobacco stores and it looks like it's not a per pack tax.

Yes it is.

The "pay for" for the reauthorization is a hike in the federal cigarette tax from 39 cents per 20-cigarette pack to $1.0066 per 20-cigarette pack, effective March 31, 2009.

Depends upon how you measure, by pound or by pack.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

www.detroittobacco.com...

On February 4, 2009 president Obama signed into law a federal tax increase on roll your own tobacco to begin on April 1, 2009. The new federal tax increase on roll your own tobacco will soar from $1.09 per pound to $24.78 per pound

In my other post, I meant it's going up per pound, as well as per pack. Sorry, I didn't make it clear.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

So you were a smoker?
Where did you get this information?
Hope you don't mind my asking.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

I think they increased the price of the rolling tubes by over 1000%...and the rolling tobacco has a rediculously high tax slapped onto it..

according to my mom, her aunt grew her own tobacco and rolled it in corn husks....
so, if you see anyone out there smoking a funny cigarette rolled in corn husk, you will know who it is...

46 million uninsured, underinsured people out there in this country eating food with god only knows what is in it, breathing polluted air, drinking pollluted water, many working in industries that demand that they expose themselves with some nasty stuff for 40 hours a week!
and.....they pick out a few of the things they don't want you to do (because it might make you sick) and tax the hades out of them so they can provide healthcare for a select few.....(obviously they don't care about your health whatsoever, since well, they will leave you out in the cold before they would help you!!)
the message seems oh so clear to me....
they have the right to make you sick through allowing the factories to throw whatever they want in your air, in your water supply, in your food!! but, heaven's no, don't do anything that might harm yourself!! you're a slave! just like the master was free to whip the tar out of you on a whim, but well, felt the need to control everything you did in your life! the government seems to have that very same mindset, only in more subtler ways.
as far as I am concerned, a government that is so into the pocket of the heathcare industry that they will allow the industry to run this rampant to the point where it so unaffordable doesn't have any right to say what I can or cannot eat, drink, smoke, or do!! they are the biggest danger to my health at the moment, not the lowly potatoe chip, or the can of soda, or the cigarette....the gave up their right to dictate such matters to me when they chose to go to bed with the healthcare giants and proceeded to take more and more money from me to funnel to these giants, all the while their own actions are having an inflationary effect on the industry.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Originally posted by wiredamerican

OHHHH wow.....

You don't support paying for children to get better health insurance but you will smoke and cause harm to others like children so they are more likely to be in need of it.

I hope they just make it illegal all together. If you want to kill yourself please do so in a way that doesn't effect others. Smokers are a huge drain on our current health system and tax dollars.

so, you support paying children to get better healthcare, do you also support the idea that we should be making healthcare affordable to all? does it really do the children much good to have great healthcare if their parents are so sick that if effects the care they receive at home?
and as far as me being a drain on your healthcare system, take a hike!! your system didn't even want to set a danged broken bone for me and seems quite content to let me just continue my life crippled! so, well, like I said take a hike! all that perfumy pretty smellling crap that all over the place is doing just as much damage to everybody as the cigarettes are!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   

all that perfumy pretty smellling crap that all over the place is doing just as much damage to everybody as the cigarettes are!

That's right. Every time you drive behind a car that is burning oil. Every time you drive by a factory and say to you're self.. whats that smell? Every time you walk by an old lady with too much perfume. Wake up! If you think that second hand smoke is such a serious problem then you need to just wake up!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
tobacco in sydney australia ( from my local tobacconist) cheaper in supermarkets not by much though

a packet of local (australian) tobacco - cigarettes
pkt/ 20 between = $9 ------>$11 depending on brand name

pkt/ 25= between 10.80----> $13.90 depending on brand name

Pkt/ 50= between $16.50-----> $22.00 depending on brand name

Now the expensive stuff

pkt 20 yes 20 cuban ciggarettes by brand name " Cohiba" $40.00

cuban cigars $$$$$ 175.00 EACH

edit: a 2 ounce bag of drum rolling tobacco = $27.95

lmao and you guys are worried about a lousy 65 cent tax increase

[edit on 9-3-2009 by ST SIR 86]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto

I think it will still be cheaper to roll your own, but going from a tax of $1.10 to $24.78 per pound. That's a helluva increase!

A pound of roll your own is around $15 retail now, add on that $23 increase, then the industry standard mark up of 8-15% for the retailers' profit margin, and it's cheaper to buy "sub-generic" brands then it is to roll your own.

If you guys have any tobacco tax related questions, or tobacco related questions at all, feel free to ask, as I am a Regional Sales Rep for a cigarette manufacturer. I sell "sub-generic" or "third-tier" cigarettes, and my sales are through the roof because of this tax increase. Don't ask what company or brand I work for because I will not answer.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by KnoxMSP]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation
In Ohio a pack of Marlboro lights are already $4.90.

So now it's gonna go up to $5.50 for a single pack that is just insane.

i wonder how this will affect the purchase of "other" smokable products. it's getting so much more expensive to develop lung cancer. i think there should be a 300% tax on all pork meat products since that developes heart and artery disease.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join